Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rust protection / undercoating

Thanks
    This guy uses motor oil for rust protection...would like to know if this would work just as well for a DIY'er like me, the savings in annual oil spraying would cover the expense of the compressor.

Anyone know anything about rust protection oil formulations?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I have a katana..and 2 Napoleonic sabers...I use mineral oil for rust proofing lol!!!

Thanks
    ^^
    That guy's Youtube channel is hilarious. Lot of cool kluged together stuff; I'm surprised the fellow hasn't electrocuted himself or blown himself up yet

Thanks
    I've used Krown. They advertise it as non-toxic/biodegradable, so I'm guessing it's some kind of veggie oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I spoke to some really knowledgeable guys at Partsource today. According to them, there's a regular customer who drives a '67 Malibu year round, and has been doing so for a very long time, and he regularly sprays his car himself with this product, which costs less than $10 per can:
    Name:  WP_20140708_002.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  94.2 KB
    And so, I have found the rust protection I will be using.
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 07-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-08-2014),Ustauk (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    The Car Guide put the Micra on a hoist for their "The mini Micra goes to the Garage for its Entrance Exam" article. They point out several spots where the Micra could use some rustproofing; it might give you guys some ideas where to spray

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (07-31-2014),MetroMPG (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    I also read an article today that reported that "light oil" type rustproofing like Krown or Rust Check are the "experts'" choice:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle19839668/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've seen them do thorough inspections of other new cars on their site - it makes them pretty unique.

They point out several potential problem areas for rust and encourage people to look at aftermarket protection:

The mechanics who examined the car were surprised by the generous layer of rustproofing, which suggests that Nissan knows the metal used for this vehicle is of poor quality and is susceptible to premature rusting.

[...]

Here at home, rustproofing is a must if you plan on keeping the car for several years.

Thanks
    I noticed the factory rustproofing on the front strut towers myself; at first, I thought it was an "Extra" the dealer was going to make customers pay for, but then I found it on my own car and I wasn't charged for it. I believe these mechanics are wrong about the reason why Nissan did this, however...the metal doesn't seem to be of any lesser quality than any other car; instead, I believe the extra layer of rustproofing is because of the opening in the grill next to the radiator. Most cars have a condenser coil and radiator that covers the entire front of the grill which would protect things like the strut towers from accumulating salt and sand, but that gap just in front of the alternator would let all kinds of salt and sand in. I'm thinking I'm going to block that off this winter.

Thanks
    I took mine directly from the dealer to a local Permashine place to get the car rust proofed. Cost just under $400 and as long as you get it inspected once a year it is guaranteed for life. It looks like a clear wax type of spray and they did the underside as well as inner door panels, under the hood etc.