Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rust protection / undercoating

Thanks

Rust protection / undercoating

I'm very interested in rust proofing my Micra. I'll probably go with the light oil spray, but I came across this product at Princess Auto and was wondering if it might be good to use on the bottom of the car, in particular where the body side panel meets the floor pan:

Name:  undercoating.jpg
Views: 5299
Size:  99.4 KB

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    This thread at Yotatech has some back and forth on whether such coatings prevent rust, or can cause it by trapping water against the frame if a leak develops in the coating.

The video on this item page at carid.com for a similar Dupli-colour coating gives some good application instructions.

Canadian Tire has a similar rubberized asphalt undercoating for sale, and also has this Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating for sale.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Member Motodude95 over at toyota-4runner.org coated the underside of his truck[/URL] with the Princess Auto stuff. His ac**** there hasn't been active since 2013, but you might want to post to the thread and or personal message him to see how the stuff lasted.

Thanks
    I went and got the 1500$ module+xzilon treatment package with 10 year warranty, did I do a boo boo or is it legit, the manager from Nissan said they cover anything even surface rust (all recorded in email) so I have a defence against bull****....what u guys think?

Thanks
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 06-09-2014 at 08:48 PM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

SvB (03-25-2017)

Thanks
    Its OK, the lady pretty much emailed me that its a lifetime warranty on the paint from rust, if things change on delivery I'll just bring the email and tell em if they don't honour it, then take it off the car...what's that? You can't? Well too bad cuz I'm not buying lmfao

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by en3rg1e View Post
    I went and got the 1500$ module+xzilon treatment package with 10 year warranty, did I do a boo boo or is it legit, the manager from Nissan said they cover anything even surface rust (all recorded in email) so I have a defence against bull****....what u guys think?
    I think it'll be worth it if you are going to keep the car for the long haul.

Thanks
    Personally, I'd avoid a coating and go with the annual spray. I've seen bad rust spread underneath even OEM "rubberized" underbody coatings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by en3rg1e View Post
    Its OK, the lady pretty much emailed me that its a lifetime warranty on the paint from rust, if things change on delivery I'll just bring the email and tell em if they don't honour it, then take it off the car...what's that? You can't? Well too bad cuz I'm not buying lmfao
    It's all done at the dealership, so if the car hasn't been delivered yet, it hasn't been done yet, so you could probably tell them to cancel it if you really wanted to. Personally, I've seen those electronic modules called out and debunked too many times, but every time I see a really old car in great shape being used as a daily driver in Southern Ontario, I always notice the tell-tale oil seepage stains around the bottom corners of the doors and rockers, leading me to believe that Darin's advice is probably the best. $1500 will pay for many years of annual sprays.

Thanks
    Antique katanas and other swords are kept from rusting by keeping a layer of oil on the blades; applying the same technique to the bare steel on a car makes sense