Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Random Stuff (observations about my base Micra S)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    As for engine wear, it's more of a long term thing...your last car went 215K before you moved on...so you don't need to worry so much about engine wear.
    The engine and transmission were the only things on that car that were still working perfect; everything else fell apart as is typical for a 12 year old domestic in southern Ontario.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Depends what you mean by significant, and of course what you want out of the car. I'm already getting 10 more mpg than yourself, so we obviously have different driving styles!
    Almost forgot...if you're going by the Micra's computer, my Micra is currently showing me that I'm getting 5 mpg more than what I've calculated with Fuelly, so your comparison is a bit off. Personally, I distrust anything but a tank-to-tank average measured over at least a dozen tanks of fuel and calculated in Liters per 100km.
    Name:  IMGP5360 (800x531).jpg
Views: 775
Size:  41.9 KB

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    A dozen tanks?

I'm OK with 2 fills especially if it's the same pump, and the same fill method (preferably enough clicks so you can see the level in the filler neck).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thing is, you're supposed to stop filling when it clicks. Filling it until you you can see the level in the filler neck is generally not considered a good idea: http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Even the same pump can click off earlier or later from one week to the next, and having only two points of data might not account for anomalies; for instance, changes in traffic patterns, strong head/tailwinds, and heavy use (or non-use) of accessories like air conditioning, to name a few. Statistically, a dozen points of data should account for any anomalies which can be either identified and discarded or averaged out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    The engine and transmission were the only things on that car that were still working perfect; everything else fell apart as is typical for a 12 year old domestic in southern Ontario.
    My last daily driver vehicle, bought new in 2001 Chevy S-10 4cyl/5 speed. 402K on the clock, never burned one single drop of oil, perfect body. I washed it exactly once, during the first summer...so the dealer could better see the paint defect which I wanted corrected under warranty. Not all domestics are poor quality

Almost forgot...if you're going by the Micra's computer, my Micra is currently showing me that I'm getting 5 mpg more than what I've calculated with Fuelly, so your comparison is a bit off. Personally, I distrust anything but a tank-to-tank average measured over at least a dozen tanks of fuel and calculated in Liters per 100km.
    Name:  IMGP5360 (800x531).jpg
Views: 775
Size:  41.9 KB
    Have been filling up at same pump, as much as I can squeeze in. Tank #5...55mpg. I have recorded all tanks in the fuel mileage thread. These numbers may be a little suspect though: due to the speedo is probably reading high on my Micra.

Have never looked at the on board computer numbers as I figure that's about as good a measure as the ''oh, I get great mileage...I only have to fill up every two weeks'' guys.
    Or... I get great mileage: 800km to a tank!
    Or... I get great mileage: I only put in $30 a week.
    LOL! I've heard 'em all
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My last daily driver vehicle, bought new in 2001 Chevy S-10 4cyl/5 speed. 402K on the clock, never burned one single drop of oil, perfect body. I washed it exactly once, during the first summer...so the dealer could better see the paint defect which I wanted corrected under warranty. Not all domestics are poor quality
    Only a year older than my last daily driver...

Have been filling up at same pump, as much as I can squeeze in. Tank #5...55mpg. I have recorded all tanks in the fuel mileage thread. These numbers may be a little suspect though: due to the speedo is probably reading high on my Micra.

Have never looked at the on board computer numbers as I figure that's about as good a measure as the ''oh, I get great mileage...I only have to fill up every two weeks'' guys.
    Or... I get great mileage: 800km to a tank!
    Or... I get great mileage: I only put in $30 a week.
    LOL! I've heard 'em all
    Or the people who use imperial miles per gallon because the numbers sound more impressive...why not simply keep it in liters per 100km?

Thanks
    Thing is, you're supposed to stop filling when it clicks. Filling it until you you can see the level in the filler neck is generally not considered a good idea: http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/
    True... if you're putting fuel into the evaporative emissions system by filling right up. This does affect some cars. (Hondas are prone.)

Even the same pump can click off earlier or later from one week to the next, and having only two points of data might not account for anomalies; for instance, changes in traffic patterns, strong head/tailwinds, and heavy use (or non-use) of accessories like air conditioning, to name a few.
    True, but a proper fill-to-fill calculation will be accurate for the type of driving you did on that tank, if that's what you want to know about (as opposed to "what is my average fuel economy in all my typical driving").

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I usually use the DTE as my driving environment changes rapidly. One tank might be 90% city 10% highway. The next may be the complete opposite. Some might be a 50/50 mix. Im still on my delivery tank of gas right now so time will tell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Only a year older than my last daily driver...
    yes, only one year older but nearly twice the KM, and still nothing wrong with it! It was/is a quality vehicle.
    I get it that you don't seem to like the quality of domestic cars (you are entitled to your opinion) but that does not mean that in the real world they are all low quality.

Or the people who use imperial miles per gallon because the numbers sound more impressive...why not simply keep it in liters per 100km?because i'm more comfortable with mpg... being a sad old product of the mid stream change to metric system, that forever left me with a crazy mix of imperial/metric numbers swirling around in my head. LOL
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I get it that you don't seem to like the quality of domestic cars (you are entitled to your opinion) but that does not mean that in the real world they are all low quality.
    Thing is, there are some domestic products that are pretty good for quality. Certain pick-up trucks come to mind. Haven't heard much bad about the Corvette. Thing is, it's a guessing game when it comes to compact cars and smaller. The engines are definitely improved, and tend to outlast everything else on the car that will tend to fall apart after 12 years. It's called planned obsolescence, a concept pioneered by none other than General Motors. Not just my opinion, it's an observable fact.