Thread: Upgrading or Downgrading or First Timer?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Upgrading or Downgrading or First Timer?

I'm curious to know which category new Micra owners fall under. I have driven a 2003 Toyota Echo hatchback 5spd for quite some time and then got a 2013 Hyundai Accent. I have to say the newer cars (In general) are a lot better built and offer great value. Having been an Echo driver before and the likeness between the Micra and that car, I am a little hesitant about getting back into such a light car although that is what made driving the Echo fun and scary at the same time.

Anyway, I do a lot of highway commute and when I drove the Echo the cross winds were scary, the big SUVs that buzz by you were scary, pretty much most cars going by at a high rate of speed made the car wobble. 2 Winters ago, I beached my car because they didn't clear the snow on my street. Was quite funny come to think of it but having since owned the Accent, I haven't had those same 'trouble's'.

Honest question now: Would you spend a little more to get a more sturdy car like a Golf MK7 or something a little bigger but still offer the same fuel economy or frugalness of initial cost? There are lots of good, perhaps even better options with just a few more thousand dollars.

Would like to hear your suggestion and where you're coming from to get into this little car.

Some other cars I'm considering at this point are: Kia Soul, Ford Focus, Hyundai Veloster, Mini Cooper, VW Golf MK7.

Thanks
    Hi, Maybe...

I'm curious: how come you're car shopping if you're content with your 2013 Accent?

Regardless of the car you're looking at, there will always be something "better" for just a few thousand dollars more. You can't win at that game.

Re: the Echo, I suspect you'll find the Micra feels more "planted". Wider tires, firmer suspension, weighs more too (939 kg Echo vs. 1044 kg Micra).

Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks MetroMPG.

The Accent is a loaner from a family member. I miss driving the Echo and parking with ease. When I went to the Accent, it didn't take long to scratch the bumper because I misjudged how long-er it was plus it is a sedan which I don't like for practical purposes.

I have a lot of thinking to do about what I want out of a car.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe Micra View Post
    Thanks MetroMPG.

The Accent is a loaner from a family member. I miss driving the Echo and parking with ease. When I went to the Accent, it didn't take long to scratch the bumper because I misjudged how long-er it was plus it is a sedan which I don't like for practical purposes.

I have a lot of thinking to do about what I want out of a car.
    You mentioned you don't like sedans, so that itself is a big indication that you want a hatchback style car. Nissan Micra, Golf GTI, Audi A4, Mercedes B200, and all the other hatchback models, Yaris etc

From the reviews I have read this car is not great at passing cars on the highway, it may feel underwhelming. However I can't imagine it feeling much different if you were in a Fiat or a Mini either, even with more horses. A small car is more susceptible to cross-winds but that shouldn't deter you from choosing a small car.

I am not a huge defender of the Micra, specifically because of what you said about spending a bit more, a grand or two and getting a bigger car. I have found that you have to personally test-drive this car and look at what the car pros are and then compare to the pros of other options. At the end of the day, the deciding factor will be your gut instinct, what you like more or certain features or an appeal thing. Try it out for a test drive is my advice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nissan owner View Post
    You mentioned you don't like sedans, so that itself is a big indication that you want a hatchback style car. Nissan Micra, Golf GTI, Audi A4, Mercedes B200, and all the other hatchback models, Yaris etc

From the reviews I have read this car is not great at passing cars on the highway, it may feel underwhelming. However I can't imagine it feeling much different if you were in a Fiat or a Mini either, even with more horses. A small car is more susceptible to cross-winds but that shouldn't deter you from choosing a small car. Definitely not comparable to a Micra to say the least.

I am not a huge defender of the Micra, specifically because of what you said about spending a bit more, a grand or two and getting a bigger car. I have found that you have to personally test-drive this car and look at what the car pros are and then compare to the pros of other options. At the end of the day, the deciding factor will be your gut instinct, what you like more or certain features or an appeal thing. Try it out for a test drive is my advice.
    If you've ever driven the four cars you've listed, you'll understand that they are miles and miles ahead of the Micra in terms of driving dynamics across the board. The Cooper, the GTI, and the B200 (now the B250) are very, very planted and are by no means "lightweight" or susceptible to cross winds at all.

I drive my girlfriend's B250 all the time, it's definitely a very solid feeling car that has not even a smidge of the econobox feel to it. After all it does cost just shy of $30,000 and I can take it up to 160 without a sweat, with lots more on tap.

Definitely not something a Micra owner would be cross-shopping with lol.

Thanks
    Kaoss, not only has nissan owner never driven the four cars he listed, he has also never driven the Micra. If nissan owner, aka Zippy, ever drove a Micra (as I have done), he would know full well the Micra can pass cars on the highway perfectly well, and, unlike nissan owner aka Zippy, I have had extensive experience driving "Bigger" cars; my previous car was a Grand Am GT, I currently own a 2009 Pontiac Torrent AWD (normally driven by my wife), and I'm currently behind the wheel of a 2013 2.5 Altima S, so I have a basis for comparison. Since nissan owner aka Zippy never even owned a Nissan, I'd take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 05-27-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: ahem

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...