Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigation?

Thanks
    It doesn't have it .. i dont like the idea of building that kind of thing into the car though, smartphones

Thanks
    http://www.fgienr.net/time-zone/fuseaux.gif

best explanation i could give you

edit : tried to respond to our european friend... its all about latency... sorry for whomever clicks my update and is disappointed....

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10179056.aspx
    this is a decent lifetime ( so to say ) map gps, its fairly accurate, and I made my girlfriend buy one about a year and a bit ago... maps do get updated for free... and is accurate as long as you are travelling the specified speed limit before you reach the turn point. and it seems to find very specific adresses with ease
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 07-05-2014 at 12:35 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was looking at the versa sedans unit, it would work perfectly in our Micra's...has rear camera, navigation, and xm sat radio! I waaaaaant it!!!

Thanks
    If you don't already have a tablet with GPS, you can get from Canadian Tire the Hipstreet Traveller Android GPS tablet. A bit pricey at $200, but you get the GPS software, car mounting and DC adapters with it, plus you know for sure it has GPS, which many tablets don't. Might be my next GPS when my current tablet or GPS dies.

Last edited by Ustauk; 07-06-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by en3rg1e View Post
    I was looking at the versa sedans unit, it would work perfectly in our Micra's...has rear camera, navigation, and xm sat radio! I waaaaaant it!!!
    You should look at your local auto salvage yard/recycler; you might get lucky and find a wrecked versa with an intact unit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    If you don't already have a tablet with GPS, you can get from Canadian Tire the Hipstreet Traveller Android GPS tablet. A bit pricey at $200, but you get the GPS software, car mounting and DC adapters with it, plus you know for sure it has GPS, which many tablets don't. Might be my next GPS when my current tablet or GPS dies.
    Red Flag Deals has declared the Hipstreet Traveler a cold deal. A good suggestion from the thread for an Android table with GPS was Dell Venue 7" for $149. If you don't want to depend on free, OpenMaps based Android GPS Software, Here's a list of paid apps, one of which uses TomTom maps. In western Canada, you can get a $7 car tablet stand from Bianca Amor's. You should be able to get a DC USB charger almost anywhere.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 07-09-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    You should look at your local auto salvage yard/recycler; you might get lucky and find a wrecked versa with an intact unit
    Most salvage yards will pull those head units anyway; if they're not already selling them on eBay, it might be worth giving them a call to see what they have in stock.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If you're on the Rogers network, FutureShop has the Nokia Lumia 520 for $109.99. This is a prepaid Windows 8 phone, so there's no contract. If you already have a plan with Rogers, you can switch over to this phone and keep whatever plan you have at no additional expense. You are not required to get a data plan with this phone; for example, I have the unlimited Canada-wide text and voice with voicemail for $35 per month, but get a discount because I "Own" my phone. The GPS in this phone is designed to work off-line, and includes features like a notification to warn me if I'm going too fast (it knows the speed limits) and 3D images of landmark buildings. I simply connect to wi-fi and download whatever maps I think I'll need. Maps are available from all over the world for free. The GPS antenna is more sensitive than the one in my old Garmin; it can locate itself from inside my house.

This phone is also available for the Telus network for $129.99, and the Chattr network for $99.99. The tablet is nice, but if you're thinking of getting a new cell phone and want to save some money, I personally believe this is the best route. I switched from an old Android phone, and I have to admit I'm impressed.

http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/Sear...okia+lumia+520

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    If you're on the Rogers network, FutureShop has the Nokia Lumia 520 for $109.99. This is a prepaid Windows 8 phone, so there's no contract. If you already have a plan with Rogers, you can switch over to this phone and keep whatever plan you have at no additional expense. You are not required to get a data plan with this phone; for example, I have the unlimited Canada-wide text and voice with voicemail for $35 per month, but get a discount because I "Own" my phone. The GPS in this phone is designed to work off-line, and includes features like a notification to warn me if I'm going too fast (it knows the speed limits) and 3D images of landmark buildings. I simply connect to wi-fi and download whatever maps I think I'll need. Maps are available from all over the world for free. The GPS antenna is more sensitive than the one in my old Garmin; it can locate itself from inside my house.

This phone is also available for the Telus network for $129.99, and the Chattr network for $99.99. The tablet is nice, but if you're thinking of getting a new cell phone and want to save some money, I personally believe this is the best route. I switched from an old Android phone, and I have to admit I'm impressed.

http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/Sear...okia+lumia+520
    I prefer the tablet personally, but the police does not quite like us to have such a big screen visible from driver's seat.
    As for phones, I loved the Sygic and TomTom apps, but I do have to say that AlphaMicra's suggestion of Windows phone is pretty good. I grew fond of the Windows Phone. The offline maps, the reading of your text messages, the driving mode... makes it a really good phone OS for the car/drivers.

Here's the one I got : <http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.306014200>
    Windows 8.1 and a large screen. Dual SIMs if you travel cross border, it suits my need.

The only other suggestion, would be a bluetooth adapter for the car, so you can hear the directions from your speakers, call hands free. The one I got. http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U037/p/P-F4U037/

Overall I find it to be a better and safer set-up that saves you cash, and leave less things visible attracting thieves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...