Photo: base Micra. From thread: Review notes: 2015 Micra S 5-speed extended test-drive - Darin's thoughts

It's just a throwaway line in a review of the Nissan Qashqai by David Booth:

Nissan’s own Micra can cost as little $10,000, but nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra. On the other hand, you can get by with a base Qashqai.
Them's fightin' words!

There's an overwhelming love for the base Micra here (it was until very recently the most popular trim in the garage).

So just for fun, I wrote a little (OK, too long), email to Mr Booth:

Re: your comment "nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra", in your recent Qashqai review...

As an admin of Canada's Micra-Forum.com, I can say: you got some 'splainin' to do!!

You will of course not be surprised that the base $10k Micra makes up a small fraction of Canadian Micra sales overall (8%, according to Nissan).

What's interesting is there's an overwhelming love for the base Micra among our small community of enthusiasts (700 members and growing): a whopping 30% chose one. It even outnumbers the sporty "SR" trim. Go figure! Clearly something about this honest-to-goodness cheap & cheerful car stirs the automotive passions.

And in case you doubt our auto enthusiast bona fides, check out the take rate for the manual gearbox: a massive 62% of our members drive a Micra with a stick. (All trims, not just base.) What's the appliance-driving general population's preference for manuals these days?

I'll conclude this already-too-big defense of the littlest Micra with a prediction: base Micras will also be over-represented during the Micra owners parade lap at the Micra Cup season opener at CTMP this weekend.

Cheers, and happy May Two Four!