Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra". Oh, really??

Thanks
    May the air slowly leak out of Mr Booths tires....LOL

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Honestly, it wasn't AC alone that steered me into getting an SV. It was a combination of a few comparative features between the S and SV. Also coming from my old winter beater I really wanted AC and remote locks..

Overall, the modern simplicity of the vehicle is what drove me towards it but here's a little break down.

What features sold me on the car:

Base model/Micra features
    1. Weight
    2. Size
    3. Visibility
    4. Hatchback
    5. Price
    6. Simplicity
    7. Reliability
    8. Not burdened with tech/safety features I didn't want/want to pay for
    9. Fairly modern 1.6L Naturally Aspirated inline-4, DOHC, VVT (C-VTC or whatever Nissan calls it),
    dual port injection, chain driven, 5 speed manual.
    10. Cheap parts! Cheap engine replacement should the worst happen.

SV Specific Features
    1. AC
    2. Heated/powered side mirrors
    3. 6 way adjustable drivers seat
    4. Power/remote locks
    5. Power windows
    6. "Oh ****" handle and sun visors

I can live without AC where I currently reside but buying a small car with minimal seat adjustments, manual and non-heated side mirrors (winter sucks!) and no power/remote locks is what pushed me to buy the SV. The other small additions to the SV trim helped cement that.
    Last edited by spacewolf; 07-05-2018 at 01:52 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-14-2018),Pete (06-23-2018)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can’t take not having ac. And working ac lol.

Plus on these cars I don’t know how you’d manage without? The Micra is my first car where you can’t defog the windows without?!!!
    Maybe that’s why Nissan made the ac in the Micra to come on automatically?

I also have to tint every car, if it didn’t already come tinted.

With ac and tints I’m a less ***** of a dude!

Thanks
    Micra Guy - you should post a garage page!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Micra Guy

Just punch the AC button if you don't need it for defrost. It turns off. I find lots of times I don't want to run the AC in defrost mode so I appreciate being able to turn it off.

Thanks
    Also as documented on here, you can unplug the extra harness on the AC switch so it's not automatically turning on with heating/defogging (I've never needed AC to defog).

It doesn't make any sense to me as a feature because the AC button is already on a toggle that holds across ignition cycles.

What drives me absolutely mental, is that is NOT the case for the defroster.. which must be manually toggled every.single.time. you turn on your effing car ALL WINTER.

Thanks
    I bought the base model because it was the right car for me at the moment. I needed to replace my 2003 subaru forester immediately and i didnt want to do monthly payments. The micra does most of everything i need it for. And I paid it off in cash the day i bought it.
    As far as the sv and sr... personally in that price range id be looking at an other car all together. At those price ranges there is a decent amout of choices out there.

I will eventually buy an other subaru, looking at the crosstrek or outback and put in a 1.5”-2” lift on it with agressive off road tires

Thanks
    I had the same struggle price wise when moving to the SV and spent a lot of time analyzing other cars in a similar price range but, MSRP is much different than the out the door price tag. An SV is high 17's, low 18's out the door, a $17k MSRP upgrade of an economy car ends up being $20-21k out the door. It's easy to keep falling into that mindset as you move up price brackets "for X amount more I could get this!"

In my opinion, the Micra is all about simplicity.

I MAY have ended up in a DX trim Honda Fit but there were literally zero on any lots brand new in Yukon, Alberta, BC when I was looking. Used they went for around $15k with 35-85k kms on them (which is MSRP!!). Not to mention I still would have had to spend 2,000$ travel to buy an overpriced used base model Fit that I didn't get to pick the color of and most likely finance through a 3rd party for 4-5%.

After so much analysis, when a grey 5MT SV Micra showed up on the lot last year for 0% interest, it was a no-brainer despite not wanting to buy new.

Thanks
    spacewolf....ive had hondas 1991 civic--to a -)1999 civic--to a ---)2015 mexican made fit (approx 20K OTD)

my wife drives the honda becuase i dont think its going to last!!!
    -the door handles rusted and had to be replaced under warranty
    -if make a funny noise on startup i ma taking it to the dealer for
    -its direct injection----power, but trouble

i drive the micra and i really think its better value..and i love it!!!!!

i think you made a wise decision......
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    spacewolf....ive had hondas 1991 civic--to a -)1999 civic--to a ---)2015 mexican made fit (approx 20K OTD)

my wife drives the honda becuase i dont think its going to last!!!
    -the door handles rusted and had to be replaced under warranty
    -if make a funny noise on startup i ma taking it to the dealer for
    -its direct injection----power, but trouble

i drive the micra and i really think its better value..and i love it!!!!!

i think you made a wise decision......
    I think so too even though I have two other Hondas.

I don't think the Micra is going to hold up to wear and tear or rust any better than a Honda per say but it's of simpler design and lighter weight than almost anything else available in the North American market. Parts are cheaper and wear and tear items to replace should be less.

Plus, it's brand new and still the same price as a used Fit and made in the same place (Mexico). At least this way I can keep any problems and rust in check from day 1 off the lot.