Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: a month into my new 2018 Micra SV 5spd

Thanks

Review: a month into my new 2018 Micra SV 5spd

Hey everyone, about a month into my new 2018 Micra SV 5spd in Gunmetal Grey.

The distinctive face of the car, and the size. It looked like a fun, affordable car. Test drove a 2015 at the dealer, thought about grabbing it, then decided the extra money towards the fresh factory warranty and extended warranties was worth the piece of mind. Now I've got a car that I can take care of for a long time.

This Micra is replacing my totalled Mazda3. I really miss that car, but the Micra is turning out to be a pretty good alternative.

This is my daily car. I will drive to work in this, drive my partner to work sometimes, going anywhere around the GTHA in it.

I like how small yet functional the car is. It's got room on the inside, and the controls and dashboard are simple. The backseats can fit two adults, and the hatchback holds a full grocery load. Perfect. I am entertaining taking it camping this summer instead of my partners truck.

My favourite feature is the body panels. They managed to make the car look cute without making it look too bug eyed like the older Yaris. Aside, anyone else think the older Yaris coupes look awesome? With the car being the size that it is, it's fairly easy for me to wash and detail it by myself.

I find the SV package to be worth it. The car so far hates having the A/C turned on though, so I save it for highway cruising instead of city driving. I like the cloth trim on the doors and the trim on the seats, although I will be adding seat covers for longevity and to change up the look. One thing I want to do, and will post about, is try and convert this car into an SR trim using the guide of posts from other micra-forum users. I will be dipping parts to replicate the colour options availble on the SR.

Driving this around has been weird to get used to, but lately I feel like the car has warmed up to me a little. The idle sometimes drops a little too low when the engine gets around to operating temperatures, but it hasn't stalled on the road from that yet. Being a small car, I wasn't ready for all the vibration you can feel. Once the car is warm, I feel an occasional shudder that I can't quite figure out. It feels like a stutter from the engine, but it doesn't feel like I'm losing a piston on idle or anything. Perhaps it will work itself out after the break-in. I've already been to the dealer once about it and they looked it over and went for a drive with me, and didn't feel anything was off.

Another small point, is that with the transmission being basically on the floor and with a long shaft as a result, it feels like a truck transmission with a really long throw. With the size of the car I don't think there are many options to fix this.

City driving is peppy and it's not hard to keep up with traffic or pass people. Since this is smaller than my Mazda in displacement and overall size, I don't drive it super aggressive, which is great on gas and safety. Highway driving is fine, 100kph is do-able. Windy days suck though as the car gets knocked around easily. Because I am still in the break-in period I haven't done much highway driving. I will be taking the Micra to the CTMP race weekend coming up, so that will be its first long highway trip.

Fuel economy meets and exceeds a little bit of expectations. Tank is smaller than my former Mazda3's tank (55L vs 41L) but the fuel consumption is about the same (The Mazda was on the Skyactiv platform).

I think the Micra is a great, simple, affordable platform to do aesthetic and minor engine mods on. I'm loving it so far as a small city car for a couple who needs to get around.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ontario_micra For This Useful Post:

Bobaganousch (05-17-2018),MetroMPG (05-17-2018),Micra In The Mountains (04-22-2019)

Thanks
    Welcome, ontario_micra!

Thanks for posting your review.

Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    The car so far hates having the A/C turned on though, so I save it for highway cruising instead of city driving.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the power draw of A/C here?

I saw a really funny image posted yesterday in a Jalopnik article:

Name:  pao-ac.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  20.0 KB

The A/C button could be re-labeled as a “Power Subtractor” button and still be accurate
    Full article... https://jalopnik.com/how-im-living-w...e-s-1826057763

OK, so a modern Micra has over 2x the power of a Nissan Pao, but anybody who's driven an economy car with A/C understands what this is about!

You could just cycle the AC in city driving: turn the fan on max, and hit the AC button when slowing and when stopped. Hit it again before the light changes to green.

One thing I want to do, and will post about, is try and convert this car into an SR trim using the guide of posts from other micra-forum users. I will be dipping parts to replicate the colour options availble on the SR.
    Cool - keep us posted. By now, you may even be able to source used SR trim parts from wreckers, if you're looking to save a bit on parts costs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    PS - hope you don't mind I moved your review post to a dedicated thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Micra Cup

I will be taking the Micra to the CTMP race weekend coming up, so that will be its first long highway trip.
    Have you seen these topics?

Nissan is offering us free tickets, food, and a parade lap! Note - you have to register with Nissan (see link on that page).

And forum members who want to meet up:

Thread: Micra Cup @ CTMP meetup May 20 2018

Thanks
    Great review, Just about the same feelings that I have for the car. Fun to drive and everything is easy. I have roll down windows A/C though and I havent noticed any extra power draw from that
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I'm assuming you're talking about the power draw of A/C here?

You could just cycle the AC in city driving: turn the fan on max, and hit the AC button when slowing and when stopped. Hit it again before the light changes to green.
    Yep, it is really noticeable to be in any car I drive. My Mazda had a similar problem and it was a bigger engine with a sixth gear. I did try this cycling and it works well for city driving.

Cool - keep us posted. By now, you may even be able to source used SR trim parts from wreckers, if you're looking to save a bit on parts costs.
    That's the plan. I'll be trying to document the things done with my Micra here.

And thanks for moving my post actually, helped make more discussion

As far as the race goes, yep, I'm going and I saw the meet-up thread. I actually got the email and thought, "What the hell", then laughed when it was basically a win condition for the first X people. Found a buddy to come with and we're excited. Depending on our travel times I might be able to meet up at the Tim's with other forum members to convoy in.
    Last edited by ontario_micra; 05-18-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Formatting mistakes

Thanks
    Yep, it is really noticeable to be in any car I drive. My Mazda had a similar problem and it was a bigger engine with a sixth gear.
    My parents had a late 80's Accord (4-cyl .. I forget what displacement, and not a heck of a lot more power than the Micra), and we used to punch the A/C button (off) for passing.

I find the SV package to be worth it.
    Main thing I like from the SV is the 6-way adjustable driver's seat. It's subjective, but to me, it's FAR more comfortable for longer drives than the 4-way seat in the base S.

Thanks
    My parents had a late 80's Accord (4-cyl .. I forget what displacement, and not a heck of a lot more power than the Micra), and we used to punch the A/C button (off) for passing.
    So what you're really saying is that it came stock with a boost button.

Main thing I like from the SV is the 6-way adjustable driver's seat. It's subjective, but to me, it's FAR more comfortable for longer drives than the 4-way seat in the base S.
    For me only 4 of the ways really work. The seat is bottomed out right now so that I can still see below the roof line, but I wish I had a little bit more room to lower. The front to back axis took a while for me to figure out a comfortable position, as I noted I find the shifter to be in a weird spot. The Mazda shifters are raised up and have a shorter throw, compared to the Micras long shifter shaft. I think a heavier shift knob is needed to make it feel less clicky, though it could also smooth out with age.

Thanks
    So what you're really saying is that it came stock with a boost button.
    Exactly what my friends & I called it!

Thanks
    Yes, I did see the CTMP posts, and did meet up there with other MF members!