Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gear ratios: 2015 Micra transmission, 5-speed & automatic (speed vs RPM) UK also

Thanks
    This car is geared perfectly for the city. Cruises along at 50-60 K in top gear no problem, as long as you're ''driving smooth'' and leaving space. The highway is a different story, it needs higher gearing. If they ever raise the speed limit, it's gonna be hard on the MT Micras!

Not sure why they are gearing them so short. Auto reviewers complaining about tall gearing in econo boxes? At highway speeds? Are these guys really that boneheaded? This type of car is well past it's ''sporty'' range once up to highway speeds. At this point you might as well admit to yourself what it is you're driving, and use the extra time to work on your one liners, if you still feel the need to impress. Morons.

I'll be starting the commute again next week. Hope the growly engine doesn't drive me nuts!

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't know what your commute is like, but with mine it's rare that I ever get to see the highway maximum speed limit of 100kph on the 400 series I travel everyday. While I'm certain that a 5th gear swap will become a popular aftermarket accessory, this sort of gearing is true to the nature of the classic Nissan Micra that people like me will enjoy. Nostalgia trumps practicality.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That gearing's more of an issue out here on the prairies. Edmonton has an outer ring road, Anthony Henday Drive, which allows speedy (at least at non-rush hour times) trips around the periphery of the city at 100 kph. The Queen Elizabeth II highway between Edmonton and Calgary is 110 kph, as is the majority of the Highway 16 running from the mountains through Edmonton onto Saskatoon (and probably beyond, though I haven't been further east on that road), and so is the Trans Canada between the mountains and Calgary, and probably points east (not traveled east of Canada on Highway 1 myself).

I remember my old Ford Aspire with its five speed manual was going about 3100 RPM; admittedly the engine was gutless, but it kept cruising along once it was at speed without issue, and I thought it another gear would have done wonders. Looking back, a different gear ratio on the 5th/overdrive gear would have done the trick.

Still, the Micra is meant to be primarily a city car. I can them making the manual gearing oriented towards under 100 kph driving, as most expressways out east are going to be less then 100. Whitemud drive here in Edmonton, an in-city freeway, is 80 kph, for example, and they're gearing the Micra more towards that. From the sound of it, this is not uncommon of cars of the same class.

Would it be possible to mate the six speed manual from the Sentra or the Juke with the Micra's engine?
    Last edited by Ustauk; 05-29-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    I don't know what your commute is like, but with mine it's rare that I ever get to see the highway maximum speed limit of 100kph on the 400 series I travel everyday. While I'm certain that a 5th gear swap will become a popular aftermarket accessory, this sort of gearing is true to the nature of the classic Nissan Micra that people like me will enjoy. Nostalgia trumps practicality.
    My commute is off hours, so 100k is usually no problem. I'm the slowest guy on the road
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I find it remarkable that people in the UK often talk about preferring the 1.2L Micra over the 1.0L Micra for highway driving, and their highway speed limit is effectively 113 km/h on the carriageway; 3km/h faster than the QEII between Edmonton and Calgary. I believe it has the exact same 5th gear ratio as our Micra at around 0.82:1.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thought I'd share an observation related to the short gearing on the Micra. Typical traffic on the 401 and Don Valley Parkway often call for frequent reductions in speed; the flow of traffic in any given lane can vary from 120km/h to 105km/h when traffic is moving well. When required to slow down, I simply take my foot off the gas, while I notice other cars ahead of me need to brake to achieve the same speed reduction. I believe this not only saves me a bit of gas (fuel delivery stops when I take my foot off the gas), but also saves my brake pads.

Thanks
    Yes.. Save your pads for when you need them.. Just enough pressure on the brake to turn on the lights so the fellas behind you know your slowing down.

Fuel economy and gear ratio are all relevant to where the engine makes power. Dropping in a different 5th gear to drop the rpms might not be a wise idea, depending on what ratio it is, It might bog the engine down, and bogging can sometimes consume more fuel and be harder on the engine.

Its kind of like.. well.. My western star has a 13 speed. 3 of those gears will hold the truck at 105 k/ph. In one gear it will be 1700rpm. Another 15, and the last at 1200rpm. If im unloaded, the gear that will keep the truck moving at that speed by using the least amount of power is best.. So 13th. Runs the engine at 1200rpm... If im loaded, then I need to select 12. Holding the engine at 1500rpm. And if Im super heavy or have some light hills, sometimes even 11th, to hold it at 1700rpm, where the engine makes the most power. Its designed this way.

Another example was my Honda CBR125R.. On the 401 to do 105kph It was doing 10500rpm. (Yes. TEN THOUSAND) and it did this all day, every day because it was designed to run this way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Does anyone have the manual SR with the bigger rims and tires does that drop the rpm below 3 grand at 100 km?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoMicra View Post
    Does anyone have the manual SR with the bigger rims and tires does that drop the rpm below 3 grand at 100 km?
    The taller tires won't change the indicated rpm at any given speed...or, to put it another way: It will still show 3K RPM @100KPH, but your actual speed will be higher.
    Unless of course, they have calibrated the speedo differently on SR models.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    The difference in circumference between P185/60R15 and the slightly bigger P185/55R16 on the SR is only 1.2%. Not enough to matter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...