Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gear ratios: 2015 Micra transmission, 5-speed & automatic (speed vs RPM) UK also

Thanks
    Thanks for digging up the trans code info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (07-06-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    as the chart in post #33 shows, that final gear ratio is having a significant effect on all the gears (as expected).

i've test driven the manual gearbox micra 4 times in the last year, and every time i dislike how quickly i have to shift out of first.
    it destroys the natural rhythm or pace of shifting through the gears from a stop. it makes the car feel like a toy or golf cart.

i'd buy the car otherwise, but i find that final drive ratio is destroying the pleasure of driving the car, even around town.
    Last edited by duncan1437; 10-08-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Hi duncan1437 -- welcome to the forum!

I'm going to say I have to agree with you: in 2 weeks of driving a base Micra S this summer, I couldn't quite get used to the car's too-low gearing.

Even after 2 weeks, I found myself unconsciously reaching to grab another upshift when it was already in top gear. A taller 5th would be a win, win, win scenario: a quieter highway drive; better fuel economy; arguably longer engine life.

In addition to the rev-happy top gear, first gear is so short as to be almost useless (on the flats). Several owners at the Loyalist Parkway Micra meet agreed. I often took off in 2nd gear when facing slightly downhill, or if the car was rolling even at just a couple of km/h.
    From "3 things I wished were different about the Micra S" -- thread: Review notes: 2015 Micra S 5-speed extended test-drive - Darin's thoughts

Eventually, you do get used to it, as Pete (60k kms on his Micra S) says.

And there's always the option of putting a taller tire on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Maybe its just cause im use to other cars but i dont find it to be like that.
    What rpm are you shifting out of first at?

Ive have cars that literally after a car length you have to shift.
    Ive also had cars that you hold 1st till also 50km

So i find it to be a nice middle ground.

If 1st lasted any longer could you imagine how bad 2nd would bog down?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    /\/\/\

again, i'd just refer to the gear ratio chart in post #33. the final gear ratio for the canadian car is 4.055, compared to the most comparable UK car at 3.438. that's a huge difference, and gears 1 to 5 are exactly the same.

i'd suggest nissan canada do some consumer (seat of the pants) testing with the UK gearing.

imho, there's a driving pleasure experience that comes with a manual transmisson car, regardless whether it's an exotic or econobox. and the the canadian micra gearing kills it. it would improve gas mileage and highway noise as well. acceleration might suffer, but would anyone really care? just my 2 cents fwiw.

Thanks
    Another point to consider: if Nissan changed Micra's manual final drive gearing, fuel economy would improve.

But they probably don't want the Micra to out-perform the CVT Note's fuel efficiency, which is currently the best in their line-up.

So, we really lucked out on the gear ratios gang...
    Check out the ratios from a Juke Nismo RS with RS6F52H transmission -
    1st- 3.727 same
    2nd-2.048 same
    3rd - 1.393 same
    4th - 1.056 vs ( 1.029)M
    5th - 0.865 vs ( 0.821)M
    6th - 0.732 vs ( 0.000)M
    Rev. - 3.641 vs ( 3.545)M
    FD - 4.429 vs ( 4.055)M

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-22-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    So, we really lucked out on the gear ratios gang...
    Check out the ratios from a Juke Nismo RS with RS6F52H transmission -
    1st- 3.727 same
    2nd-2.048 same
    3rd - 1.393 same
    4th - 1.056 vs ( 1.029)M
    5th - 0.865 vs ( 0.821)M
    6th - 0.732 vs ( 0.000)M
    Rev. - 3.641 vs ( 3.545)M
    FD - 4.429 vs ( 4.055)M
    Did you ever do any deeper comparison to see what's actually compatible between that transmission from the Juke and ours?
    LSDs are dirt cheap for them now: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...411-8u010.html

If the bellhousing and design are similar enough it would be awesome to have the option of adding a 6th gear and LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    Did you ever do any deeper comparison to see what's actually compatible between that transmission from the Juke and ours?
    LSDs are dirt cheap for them now: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...411-8u010.html

If the bellhousing and design are similar enough it would be awesome to have the option of adding a 6th gear and LSD.
    I doubt you could just "add" a sixth gear. You'd probably have to replace the whole gear stack.
    You might ( MIGHT ) be able to take the whole trans and adapt it to the hr16de. How much modifying would be required is unknown at this point.

I have a lot going on.

I am picking u a used hr16de with trans in about 2 weeks time. This will help with all projects.

I'll start a new thread for that. I'll try to track down an inexpensive juke trans and see if anyone knows of a juke trans they can get their hands on ( even if it's just to borrow for a week to see what's required that would be awesome)

I believe the 1.5 way lsd I found for this trans will work with the least mods, but it's $$$. So high risk and low reward.
    If it doesn't work for whatever reason I'm stuck with it as there is no other car that can use it.

Thanks
    Have you looked to see if any Renault transmission parts from the same engine are more compatible since the HR16de doesn't really share any roots with Nissan's other engine lines (despite the naming convention)? I know it's a stretch but there's way more design similarities in the H4M series than the MR16. It appears from the specs that the transmission were co-developed as well.

http://www.powertrain.renault.com/ou...mt5jb3-jh3-jhq

I only know Honda's well and in the K series 5 speed transmissions it literally is as easy as adding a 6th gear. There's a lotta BS work around pulling the trans and fitting in the 6th mainshaft, countershaft, syncro and needle bearing but it's such a common mod that there's a 200$ USD kit that has it all there for you.

Good luck with the LSD! I hope it works out. If it does I'm sure you'll let us know