Thread: Brake Drums rusted - repaint?

Thanks

Brake Drums rusted - repaint?

I would like to purchase new brake drums for my car and treat/paint them before reinstalling as my current brake drums are really rusted and really an eye sore against my black rims.

I know nothing about cars and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

I received a quote from a Nissan dealership for $142.60/each .... is that over priced? From my research brake drums are supposed to be really inexpensive. I only want to purchase the brake drum, I don't need brake shoes. (If I'm using my terms correctly ) Unless they don't sell them separately and I have to buy the entire drum brake...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That is over priced.
    Order off rock auto.
    If you are not good are servicing your vehicle I could help you.

If you’d like we can inspect them together first and make sure you are ordering the parts you NEED.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

jude (05-01-2018)

Thanks
    Your brake drums are rusted, but seem to be in good condition otherwise, isn't it? So I suggest you just have them sanded and painted with a good epoxy paint and a clear coat. That's what I did last summer; found a good auto paint shop in my neighbourhood and they did a great job for 50$ a drum, so 100$ for great looking drums.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (05-01-2018),jude (05-01-2018)

What he said. Your shoes ( drum pads ) would require servicing first and are inexpensive.
    The drums should last for 2 sets of shoes ( original +1 replacement ) lasting for approx 150,000-200,000total, vs 60-80 for front pads 120,000-160,000 total.

Hi temp paint after sanding is definitely the first choice

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was considering that option too, will look into shops to check for price to see which way would actually be more cost effective. Too bad you're in Montreal or I would get mine done at the same place. Thanks

Thanks
    Aw thanks, but I don't want to put you through any trouble. I'll definitely check out Rock Auto.