Thread: Hello, thinking of buying a used Micra

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Talking Hello, thinking of buying a used Micra

Hello,

I live in Montreal and currently drive a 2004 Echo RS hatchback. Unfortunately, a car in the middle lane decided to turn left at a traffic light and the car may be a write-off (currently dealing with insurances).

I put a TRD suspension and braces on that Echo and it is REALLY fun to drive. But, even if they do fix it, it's still 14 years old and as much as I'm pushing back, the rust is eventually going to win.

Which is where the Micra comes in. The power to weight ration is not as good on a Micra than an Echo hatch, yet the Micra Cup cars are quicker by almost 2 seconds around the Trois Rivieres track than the Echos were! I test drove a Micra last Monday and the first thing I did was stall. Is it normal for the clutch to be so damn light??? I seriously couldn't feel any resistance whatsoever. I also found the gas pedal to be late to respond, but the salesman insisted on coming with me, so I couldn't really give it the beans at higher RPMs. Steering was quick and the car was nimble.

The car I'm looking at was registered in the Summer of 2014 so the comprehensive warranty is over. I like the fun factor of the Micra SR, but I'm worried about two things: long-term reliability and parts availability. I like to keep my cars well over ten years and I like to do pretty much all the work myself. But parts seem to be hard to come by. As an example, I looked for brake rotors around Montreal, and neither Can Tire nor SupraZ2000 had any. Napa had a few lower-range options but they were expensive. Same thing with a muffler: hard to find. Does the Micra share any parts with any other car? That would help.

I need a daily driver than I can count on to start and drive everyday, whether it be 10kms to work or 1000kms to Shediac during the summer.

I really like the idea of the Micra and I'm hoping the owners here can help me make my mind up.

TL/DR: Is the Micra comparable in the long-run to a 2004 Echo hatchback? (parts, reliability, fun factor, etc)

THANKYOU!

Thanks
    Bienvenue, Alaxy Galaxy!

TL/DR: Is the Micra comparable in the long-run to a 2004 Echo hatchback? (parts, reliability, fun factor, etc)
    Actually, multiple owners here came from Echos. 2 owners still have their Echos. Did you see this thread:
    Thread: Is there an echo in here? Toyota Echo/Yaris owners? Roll call.

I had an Echo, but too briefly to say much about it, other than: (1) it needed serious rust repair on the rear of the rockers which was threatening the unibody structure where the rear axle is mounted, and, (2) of all the entry level cars I've owned, the Echo felt like the highest quality. 13 years old & not even any rattles. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaxy Galaxy View Post
    I test drove a Micra last Monday and the first thing I did was stall. Is it normal for the clutch to be so damn light???
    Yup! It's one of the lighter clutches I've driven. Lighter than my 1.0L Firefly. Very easy to drive smoothly in traffic.

I like the fun factor of the Micra SR
    You know the SR is mechanically identical to the base S trim, yes? Same engine, trans, suspension, brakes. (Not counting wheels/tires.) The Micra Cup cars are all S models.

I'm worried about two things: long-term reliability
    Many owners here are piling on the kilometers, giving us good long term info:

Thread: How many kilometers/km on your Micra so far?

There are some recurring problems, see:

Thread: Micra warranty repairs -- have you had any done? Or trouble-free so far?

and parts availability. Does the Micra share any parts with any other car? That would help.
    It does share many parts with the Versa Note. But you're right, there's not a ton of inexpensive aftermarket stuff for the car.

Check this index for mods done by some owners, and search the garage too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Never had an issue with brake pad or rotor replacements. I usually spec everything on the E12 (Versa Note) between year 2007-2015

I run two set of pads, one for winter and one for summer season.
    Winter spec: Wagner TQ's (these are premium priced quiet pads with rock solid construction that can last a long time) more or less 100$

Summer spec: Dixcel M Types (JDM premium brand of brake components) This brand is comparable to Endless but with a rising popularity due to their extensive R&D program on brake pad formulas and construction. About 250$

The M Type series is for street use for those who push the car above the OE spec pads can handle. Thicker pads, denser and proper carbon ceramic mix. My number one reason for getting them was the super low dust output (almost white dust compared to black dust on cheap pads) when hard braking and their higher heat resistance.
    Last edited by Nobuseri; 02-28-2018 at 01:26 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nobuseri For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2018),Pete (02-28-2018)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's quite a bit for just pads!

In regards to the fact that all trims of the Micra share the same chassis/engine: although true, I like the added cruise control for the Micra SV/SR and I certainly couldn't live without A/C anymore. Also, call me superficial, but the spoiler and rocker trim really are nice.

I read through the "repairs" page and was wondering if anyone has had a trouble-free ride with his/her Micra. These are less than 4 years old and I should hope that 99% of cars are still acting like new cars!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    I threw away my micra SR after 2 years, but i am exception. mine could be considered a half lemon, lots of small problems here and there...

Thanks
    On my 2nd Micra, both leases. Zero issues so far, but a couple of annoyances. First car was an S. No Bluetooth,a/c or cruise. Both cars were manual. Bluetooth does not stream audio. The driver's armrest is not at the same level as the armrest on the door. The a/c defaults to on every time you switch the direction of the air, turn the fan on from off, and starting the car. The clutch is super light, it's easy to park, and good on fuel. Biggest downside is the lack of power. But that's relative. It feels like a racecar compared to a Mitsubishi mirage.