Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 speed vs CVT.

Thanks

4 speed vs CVT.

Its late at night and I was on youtube, watching the nissan XTRONIC Cvt system, learnign how it works and stuff. I really really wonder tho, why didnt we get this on the micra?

What do you guys think?

Cost?

Engine space?

Fuel efficiency?

Im putting my money on.. Well. money. Im not sure what a CVT costs, vs a 4 speed (maybe the parts guys can compare) but considering our car was built to be as cheap as possible instead of fuel efficient, i have to wonder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    hmm.. from someone i know.. nothing professional.. he told me that CVT is cheaper than 4 speed...

Thanks
    I also read somewhere that the four speed auto is a proven gearbox transfered over from an older model.

Thanks
    A few snips of info from a website:

Advantages of CVTs

Because continuously variable transmissions are built with fewer parts compared to conventional transmissions, they are less expensive to manufacture. This savings is passed along to consumers in a car’s selling price. Acceleration stays in a “sweet spot” to minimize wasted power, thus improving a vehicle’s fuel efficiency.

Disadvantages of CVTs

Some of the criticism of CVTs can be attributed to earlier generations of the technology. As reviewers point out, the newer CVTs are more reliable. Some people find the steady acceleration, and lack of revv or gear changes to be “boring.” There are also questions about reliability as a vehicle’s adds a lot of miles to the odometer, since it’s costly to have to replace a transmission. Plus, some of the initial savings of buying a car with CVTs is lost with the requirements of transmission fluid changes at regular intervals.
    Here are some negative comments from folks in social media:

“The sound of a CVT holding high revs gets some getting used to, it’s a lot slower (appx. 1 second slower 0-60 IIRC), It’s a lot more boring.” —Reddit User, aShowofHands
    “I don’t like them because of reliability. The belt driven versions can need belts as early as 50k.” —Reddit User, Tattedbuddha

Comparing Hondas, “Guess which is faster……you got that right, the one without CVT transmission.” — Daryl Yaw, Twitter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wynter For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2016),micrapolis (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    hmm.. I tried the CVT on the Versa 2015.. it wasn't so bad.. I d say, the acceleration is comparable to what my Micra is doing...
    However, the Mirage's CVT is a bit lacking... it feel quite slow to accelerate from 0 - 60 km... and the engine noise makes you feel like it's suffering lol..

again.. nothing scientific.. just personal point of view.

Thanks
    ^In fact, the Mirage's CVT is the exact same unit used in the Versa sedan/Versa Note. The reason it's noisier is because of (1) the engine differences (3-cyl, less powerful = higher revs required for a given amount of power), and (2) also there's not a lot of sound insulation in the Mirage.

The Micra's 2 closest competitors (Spark & Mirage) both use Nissan/Jatco CVT's.

Engine space?
    The Versa sedan (same as Micra platform) was offered for a while with either the 5MT, 4AT or CVT.

I actually asked the Nissan product manager why no CVT in the Micra, and he said: "cost." Take that at face value?

But another marketing angle to consider: if the Micra had the CVT, it would have a better overall fuel efficiency rating than the Note. That would be bad -- you always want to give people a reason to upgrade to the more profitable model.

Surprisingly, the Versa Note with the automatic transmission has the best fuel economy rating - even better than the Micra 5-speed for both city and highway.

• Micra 5-speed: 8.6 city / 6.6 hwy
    • Versa Note CVT: 7.5 city / 6.0 hwy
    From thread: Nissan Micra vs. Versa Note comparison ... Did you consider a Note?

Also: auto reviewers generally hate CVT's. It didn't hurt the Micra's reception in the media that it had a conventional automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    All very good explanations, I like the theory metro has about the versa bit, where it gives the versa a selling feature- per se.

I do wonder if one of our trusty parts guys could tell us what the difference of cost between the two is?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    All very good explanations, I like the theory metro has about the versa bit, where it gives the versa a selling feature- per se.

I do wonder if one of our trusty parts guys could tell us what the difference of cost between the two is?
    Parts guy doesnt work sunday monday will have price diffrence for your tuesday.
    SMUTT155

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SMUTT155 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post

My girlfriend LOVES my Micra, but the additional boot space and much larger back seating area won her over to the Note side. Fuel efficiency did not enter into it. Downsized from a CRV so was going to be fuel savings regardless.
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    I understand the feeling .. I went from a 06 Dodge Grand Caravan to a Micra, so for me, overall cost was the key over anything else. Going from 11-16mpg into a micra was icing on the cake.

So now to poke a head into the lion cage. Lets just say the micra was offered with 5mt, 4at, or cvt? Which would you choose?

For me, my wife hisses at the idea of a manual, so 4at for me. But If the CVT was offered, I would have spring for it.