Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Battery Fun

Thanks

New Battery Fun

A few months ago I boosted a friends 300... that in itself should have you giggling :P

The OEM battery has something like 350 Amps of max output, and I have no idea what "group size" it is, I assumed it was the same as the versa with a 51R but it's not (dimensions are 7" Deep, 8" Wide, 7" Tall + posts, Terminals Reversed (negative on the left))

Long story short, I had to replace the battery, thing showed 12.3V while off but dropped to 5.1V when trying to crank (alternator works fine and outputs ~14V). If anyone else needs a new one and wants "roughly" the same size but a bit more headroom, grab a "Group 47" - it's 8" deep, 9.5" wide, and 7.5" tall but has recessed posts so overall it's within a quarter inch of the OEM's height... and they have a ~700 Amp output. The tray our battery sits on is huge, I still have over an inch on either side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2020),MrMicra2015 (02-15-2018),NotASportsCar (03-16-2019),senseibericum (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Good to know for when my battery ****s the bed. I might just go to an Optima battery after, I don't now. I'll see in a few years. My battery is only 8 months old.

Thanks
    My OEM battery died after 4.5 years, replaced with Duralast from Autozone (MX). FYI: My OEM Honda battery lasted 20+ years.

Name:  BATTERY MARCH OEM _0613201415_HDR.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  100.8 KB
    Last edited by Ajijic; 06-17-2020 at 10:28 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    20 years! That's amazing.

The longest-lasting 12v battery I have is 16 years old from a 2004 Prius. But that battery doesn't start the engine (the big hybrid battery does), it just supports the 12v systems. Currently using it in my 30 year-old Miata.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm curious to see for those who changed their batteries on their Micra, how long did you last with the OEM. My car will soon be 4 years old and I am wondering if I'm soon gonna need to change it. I had to boost it once during the pandemic because I haven't been using it as much but after that it'd been ok with using it once or twice a week.

My previous car was a Versa, I had it 6 years and didn't need to change the battery. I am doubtful the Micra's battery will last this long but who knows.

Tell me about your experiences!

My mice’s has 103k km it has not been driven in a year. And the battery is crapping itself now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    i start mine every month, in the beginning i disconnected the battery but the car ran a bit weird at first (assume relearning fuel trim?) so i dont anymore and it seems OK so far. Maybe ill start sewing a giant facemask for the car so i can take it out.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Just a follow-up on my battery issues. I was going to have CAA change it, but once the guy was here to do it, he asked how many KM I do each year, and when I told him, he wouldn't change it cuz they require you to do 5000KM per year in order to offer a warranty. Who does any KM in this pandemic? So I went to Nissan, they changed it for a 99R. Funny as when I called 2 weeks ago they said they install Group 35 in Micras...

Now my car starts but my Kenwood car radio won't power up AT ALL. They probably fried a fuse at some point during the battery change, but I haven't been able to identify if it's the case. The radio fuse seem to be poorly located under the hood and it's -20C so I'm not really in the mood to poke around it. I left a message at the dealership but they're not calling back so I'll call again tomorrow but watch them say it's an after-market radio so they will try and say it's not their problem.

Really starting to lose any all trust in Nissan at this point. Anybody had similar issues with an after market radio after changing the battery? Really annoyed about when you fix one thing, something else breaks.. ugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by carorules View Post
    Just a follow-up on my battery issues. I was going to have CAA change it, but once the guy was here to do it, he asked how many KM I do each year, and when I told him, he wouldn't change it cuz they require you to do 5000KM per year in order to offer a warranty. Who does any KM in this pandemic? So I went to Nissan, they changed it for a 99R. Funny as when I called 2 weeks ago they said they install Group 35 in Micras...

Now my car starts but my Kenwood car radio won't power up AT ALL. They probably fried a fuse at some point during the battery change, but I haven't been able to identify if it's the case. The radio fuse seem to be poorly located under the hood and it's -20C so I'm not really in the mood to poke around it. I left a message at the dealership but they're not calling back so I'll call again tomorrow but watch them say it's an after-market radio so they will try and say it's not their problem.

Really starting to lose any all trust in Nissan at this point. Anybody had similar issues with an after market radio after changing the battery? Really annoyed about when you fix one thing, something else breaks.. ugh!!
    Probably just the fuse

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    Probably just the fuse
    Fingers crossed, opening the fuse box under the hood looks like a fun adventure...