Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drove away with block heater cord still plugged in.

Thanks

Drove away with block heater cord still plugged in.

Hey everyone.

Yesterday I was running late for work and forget to unplug the block heater from the extension cord as I backed out of the driveway. From what it seems it didn't pull the cord all the way out. I would think there is some slack because this I'm sure has happened before. It's just a little longer then what it was the day before. Is there a way that I check to see if the block heater still works? It doesn't look damaged(the cord) but I don't know where it goes into the block from the top of the engine. The sliver clip is now attached to the bottom grill.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to go and check it again today when it's light out.

Last edited by ABMicra17; 01-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    I done that a week after I made my block heater extension cord. Just heard a pop and realized that I forgot to unplug it. No damage; just broke one of my tie-wraps. I did up the extension cord because my block heater cord failed on the second winter; shorted out at the strain relief close to the plug end. Replaced under warranty. Mod is here (so it wouldn't fail again):

http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...Extension-Cord

I put up a picture (not a great one) of the location where it goes into the engine block here:

http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...tion-on-engine

Hope it helps you out.

Thanks
    one would assume if you have any continuity between the two prongs on the cord, it could well work.

GET AN EXTENSION CORD,(in engine compartment ) so your not stress'in the original block heater cord.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Yep. If continuity is there then it should be OK. Check the wire though just in case sharp metal edges may have damaged it. Just for fun, I plugged mine into a Kill-a-watt meter to see what it uses. 376 watts; not a lot of power to keep engine warm.

Name:  DSCF0684.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  44.0 KB

Thanks
    geez...that seems like a ALOT of power to me....does it cycle on and off?...or does it constantly use 376 watts

live in Vancouver so first blockeahet i have ever had!!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I don't know for sure if it cycles on and off. My guess would be no, that's why a lot of people will put them on timers. I just plug it in when I get home. It's nice to get into the car at -20C and have the engine already at +18C just after starting.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It will not have a thermostat, so it will use a little more than 1 kw every 3 hours. Electricity in Ontario 13.2 cents per kWh. When you leave it plugged in for 10 hours overnight it is costing you about $15 per month. A small timer set to turn on a couple of hours before you plan to leave will save you $ and have your car ready to go.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-16-2018),MrMicra2015 (01-15-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    It will not have a thermostat, so it will use a little more than 1 kw every 3 hours. Electricity in Ontario 13.2 cents per kWh. When you leave it plugged in for 10 hours overnight it is costing you about $15 per month. A small timer set to turn on a couple of hours before you plan to leave will save you $ and have your car ready to go.
    I never really thought about it until now. Must look into it.

Thanks
    tomcj2-you are a mathematical wizard....a temperature sensing timer that turns on X hrs before Y time imputing z (thermal capacitance). deg C/watt .

The rate of coolant temperature
    increase was most rapid during the first
    two hours of block heater operation with
    equilibrium temperature being reached after five hours.

looks like someone already did the study
    http://www.csbe-scgab.ca/docs/journa...4_1_15_ocr.pdf

honestly you figured out what i was wondering, thanks!

I do use a timer....i guessed 3 hrs! (its vancouver)
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 01-15-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    In Vancouver you'd be fine with 2 hours, max.

300-400 watts isn't a lot for a block heater. They go up to 1500w.

But you do need to manage it with a timer. Or if you're not on a regular schedule, you can get a remote switch so you can turn it on from inside.

---

To keep from driving away with the thing plugged in , loop the extension cord around your driver's mirror when you plug it in.

I've almost pulled away with it plugged in once (didn't have it looped on the mirror ), started moving then remembered at the last minute: "Oh @*#&!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...