Thread: Doug DeMuro reviews the previous gen Mitsubishi Mirage (his review applies to Micra)

Thanks

Doug DeMuro reviews the previous gen Mitsubishi Mirage (his review applies to Micra)

i kinda like Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCs...nel=DougDeMuro

98% of his complaints apply directly to our Micra as well.

i dont disagree with what he says....but i know that those things that bother him, for the most don't bother me or don't apply to me. so im happy with my micra.

YMMV

Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

Thanks
    I watch a lot of his vids too. Guy's got 1M subscribers!

Ironically, he probably earned enough money from the ad revenue on that video to BUY a 2015 Mirage. If he wanted to... which obviously he wouldn't.

That said, he does complain a lot about nothing. EG: Most people who are in the market for an inexpensive car are not surprised and don't complain when the interior is plain, made of hard plastic and has exposed bits and pieces. But when the majority of the cars you review cost north of $100k, I wonder how that skews your perspective.

I think he would like the Micra a lot more than that 2015 Mirage though -- its handling, steering and NVH were noticeably sub-par before the 2017 model upgrades. But even after the Mirage upgrades, the Micra is still noticeably more fun (drives better, and obviously has more power). Nissan got it right for Canada, out of the box.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    to doug's credit he said on r/cars* (and also on YT comments) that he is well aware of the very legit reason that people buy the mirage. and he did acknolwedge some of his criticisms are 'silly' as he put it.

*he and a lot of famous car youtubers post on r/cars a lot.

all of this said, in a world where honda fit exists (with its magic seats and 130hp) or where the new kia rio exists (which also has 130hp, is better looking than every other subcompact in North America**, and comes with an astounding amount of standard kit including heated seats + steering wheel!), it's becoming harder and harder to recommend even the micra, let alone something as weak as a mirage.

**mazda2 is still way better looking...alas, its not coming here.

dont get me wrong: simple, cheap cars are great, and i love my micra. but lets not forget most people (like me) didnt buy the very base , stripped out version, we bought the SV trim, which is like a 40%+ difference from the famous $10k price , AND, as much as we like very basic cars, you cannot argue that most of us really value amenities that come standard in the fit and the rio.

and that was doug's main argument : in a world where those subcompact cars exist, THIS subcompact car is a very poor buy. and i dont disagree.

EDIT: also, in many US cities on highways, it's kinda dangerous to have such a weak 74hp engine....
    Last edited by micrapolis; 12-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    I disagree with the 74 hp = dangerous argument. I've been driving a 50 hp car for 12 years! Yes, mostly here in the boonies, but also Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal & more than a few long distance trips (eg. east coast). It's way slower than a Mirage. You adapt to the tool you have!

But you're absolutely right: hardly anybody buys the base model... in the general population that is. Though here on the forum, the S trim is the most popular Micra. Base model buyers are a hardy breed and a lot of them appreciate a stripped down car. (I definitely get that.)

I don't expect guys like Demuro to understand the appeal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    to doug's credit he said on r/cars*
    Can you link me? I'd love to see that conversation. I don't spend a lot of time on reddit.

Thanks
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...t_new_car_you/

"Most of this stuff is silly criticisms. Who cares about exposed seat rails? You could live with this car. But you don't."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-30-2017)

Thanks
    Merci!

I still think he would have liked the Micra more than you think he would.

EG: Canadian reviewers were mixed on the Mirage (mostly because of the sloppy-suspension-&-steering 2014 model).... but there was hardly a bad word said about the Micra.

Thanks
    here's a nother one:

https://reddit.com/r/cars/comments/7...rg8r?context=3

he is very upfront about this.

EDIT: re:your point about micra vs mirage, wouldnt that difference in reception be due to the HP difference, and the CVT trans, and maybe the tire size?

because outside of those issues, mirage and micra are....pretty much identical, no? esp if we're comparing base models.
    Last edited by micrapolis; 12-30-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah, primarily power & non-CVT automatic.

But Micra handles way better & I assume that's spring rate/damping, plus front & rear stabilizer bars standard, even on the base S. Mirage has a front bar only - want a rear bar? Aftermarket.

Steering feel is much better in the Micra too, even though they both have the same turning radius (tiny) and electric assist.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (01-01-2018)