Thread: Excessive oil consumption at 46,000 km?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Excessive oil consumption at 46,000 km?

I hope you can help me figure out why my MANUAL 2015 MICRA S is using too much engine oil. Approximately mileage is at 46,000KM. I just recently checked (yesterday) the oil dipstick and reading on my oil gauge dipstick is add one liter of engine oil. On my last oil change at 38,000KM (correction) at the dealership (High Park Nissan) I complained to the service representative that "I added one liter of engine oil two weeks ago. I don't like it." I'm having an oil change today December 21, 2017 and I will definitely show the service representative the dipstick reading before they change the engine oil. I did not add one liter of oil (I should have) this time because I want to show them. I will definitely ask for an engine checkup this time. I hope that the cylinder head is not crack or leaking oil.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-21-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: (moved post to dedicated thread)

Thanks
    Hi honda2nissan -

First: I also got your message about having to log in each time you want to post. When you see the log in form, there is a checkbox that says "keep me logged in". Make sure it's checked before you submit the form.

Next: I think you've done the right thing by bringing the oil consumption to the attention of the service manager. (I would MAKE SURE your concern is noted on your work order so that you have proof the issue was raised at the dealership in the event this becomes a warranty dispute later on.)

My sister faced an oil consumption issue with her Toyota Camry, and the dealership asked her to bring the car back after a certain number of kilometers after they'd done an oil change. In her case they ultimately said the amount of oil used in that distance was "normal", so she got no help. Twice she's nearly run the engine out of oil since then because it uses so much.

Hopefully your case isn't as severe. Please keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Try to check your oil level first, try it slowly (Shift at low RPM) for 2 weeks, and check oil level again.

After that, try to rev it high, and do the same thing, see where did the oil go....

I have a funny feeling is the piston ring leak, causing burning engine oil....

Thanks
    If you head a crack at the block, you should see tons of bubble coming out at the rad, color of engine oil, coolant, all looks funny, and the car lacks of power...... And usually those, dealer should be able to pick it up right away

Thanks
    Is 1 litre of oil in 8,000 km considered excessive? Many Subaru owners report using 1litre every 800 km.
    Last edited by tomcj2; 12-22-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Thanks
    My 2016 March (Mircra) is consuming 1 litre per about 8,000 km; currently at 62,000 km. Using synthetic 5W30.
    Name:  SYNTHETIQUE COMPETITION.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  6.6 KB
    Last edited by Ajijic; 09-02-2021 at 06:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    the 2015 honda fit uses ZERO oil between changes....actually i think it fills the balance up with gas <sad face> but yea...1 liter in 8000 kms is excessive ...<extra sad face>
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    the 2015 honda fit uses ZERO oil between changes....actually i think it fills the balance up with gas <sad face> but yea...1 liter in 8000 kms is excessive ...<extra sad face>
    My old 1995 Honda CX never burned any oil and it finally got sold after 20 years. The only reason for the sale was that Mexico changed the ruling on foreign vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Car Burning Oil: How Much Consumption Is 'Normal'?

For example, BMW tells owners it’s normal for some of its engines to burn a quart of oil in fewer than a thousand miles. In a tip sheet to fleet-vehicle operators, GM says normal consumption “can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle.”
    Last edited by Ajijic; 09-03-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    My 2017 was using 1 litre every 8000 from day one
    That progressed up to 4 litres before Nissan got tired of seeing me at the dealership every week to get my oil topped up or realized that 4 litres every 8000litres might be excessive oil usuage.
    The manager originally told me nossan did not consider that excessive oil usage, when i asked what nissan would consider excessive consumption. He replied he had no idea.

New motor has been using zero oil since it was installed 20k ago