Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: widest tire (with stock rim)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

widest tire (with stock rim)

Will the stock rims (steel rims) be able to use a 205 50 16 on this car?

Or I have to buy a wider rims to do that?

Once I change it, will it have any rubbing or any issues?

Thanks
    what's your stock tire size? Assuming the 15" and 16" OEM rims have the same offset, everything will be fine.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...5-5&offset2=50

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (11-24-2017),SuperTurbo (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Basically once I finish the stock tire, I am going to put the wider tire on.

Currently checking what kind of mod and stuff can I do to first before I am going to buy it....

when I test drove the car, a few problems I found while it's in stock.....
    1. The car completely lack of power after 80km/h... May be it's the Automatic transmission, but either way, I am very sure MT is the only way to go for this car....
    2. The car's center of gravity point is very high, almost like a van, so I have to upgrade the tire. Shocks or lowering.... depends on my mood LMAO
    3. the stock dome light. It's soooooooo dark. Lucky that I can slap the Juke 3 lights one up there

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurbo View Post
    Basically once I finish the stock tire, I am going to put the wider tire on.

Currently checking what kind of mod and stuff can I do to first before I am going to buy it....

when I test drove the car, a few problems I found while it's in stock.....
    1. The car completely lack of power after 80km/h... May be it's the Automatic transmission, but either way, I am very sure MT is the only way to go for this car....
    2. The car's center of gravity point is very high, almost like a van, so I have to upgrade the tire. Shocks or lowering.... depends on my mood LMAO
    3. the stock dome light. It's soooooooo dark. Lucky that I can slap the Juke 3 lights one up there

Very common feeling. High sitting.

Lower all corners approx 1” increase spring rate respectively.
    I have used 205/55R16 I believe . There’s an small tab on the rear bumper to fender that should be shaved off. This will prevent rubbing noise on bigg bumps or dips.

Manual has lots of go above 3500 rpm.

A preferred tire size might be 205/45R16 and use 36psi 40psi all around if you want more stability after that look into upper and lower reinforcement / support bars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (11-27-2017),SuperTurbo (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Things is I hate lowering cars.... I tried a few cars, basically going in & out the mall, I have to slow down to like 5km/h to prevent front bumper touching the ground and so....

I found out that within my town, 150mm off the ground is the sweet spot.

For your car's tire, are you running front 36 rear 40lbs of air? All 36 for winter, 40 for summer?
    Btw, have you upgrade the shocks or spring for your micra?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurbo View Post
    Things is I hate lowering cars.... I tried a few cars, basically going in & out the mall, I have to slow down to like 5km/h to prevent front bumper touching the ground and so....

I found out that within my town, 150mm off the ground is the sweet spot.

For your car's tire, are you running front 36 rear 40lbs of air? All 36 for winter, 40 for summer?
    Btw, have you upgrade the shocks or spring for your micra?
    OEM is 33psi
    You can run up to 40psi

I use between 25-48psi depending on the season and tire and conditions

I use the same pressure in all 4 tires

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    150mm is 6", I thought that my driving locations had steep hills and bumps

I mean... you could always get a bagged setup... but beyond that you may be stuck for ride height. With only 9mm less side wall (going from the 185 to the 205) you're going to feel the difference in compound a lot more than anything else. That said, if you can't lower the car, load the vehicle (get a friend), measure your wheel gap before and after you jack that corner off the ground - you can calculate the springs deflection per corner from that - then get stiffer springs that are shorter by the same amount so they end at the same ride height you had. or... or, find another set of steelies (or fancy rims budget permitting) and go wider with the required offset to keep you clear of the suspension. You should be able to go 7" at least before you have to really worry about rubbing things. I took the mantle as guinea pig with mine, sitting at 8.5" wide rims, the only thing I rub on is the body panels :P so they're getting cut up. 7.5" is the danger zone that requires a not quite undersized tire, and a front fender pull - wider than that and you need to be stretched + modify a lot more. Under that you should be able to manage with a normal low-profile tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

SuperTurbo (11-27-2017)

Thanks
    yea, I live in GTA. Basically here have lots of pot holes, and lots of improper pavement. so 150mm is the bare minimum.
    The fall's road is much more beautiful than here. At least I rarely see a pot hole when I come down LMAO

The reason why I love 205 so much is because I know this car will get a lot more grip and cornering control, the 185 stock.... while I was doing a test drive on that day, I almost don't feel the road thru the steering, but I know I am turning base on my eye, so I really do think 205 is a safer decision.....

What is a bagged setup?? You mean those air ride shocks??

Roughly how much more offset will you recommend for a 205 or even a 215 tire set up?

8.5in rim.... are you running a 225 tire??

I run 16x8 +45 with 25mm adaptor making it +20 offset.
    My largest tires are 225/50ZR16

I think most people would be happy with
    16x7 +20-+45 offset 205/45or50 16
    4x100 60.1 CB
    For an stock upgrade

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (11-28-2017),SuperTurbo (11-29-2017)

Thanks
    a bagged setup for ours would be a 'bag assist' - like air ride, but not fully... think, a bag inside the springs that can deflate to lower the car to a ride height on the springs, or inflate to progressively lift the car and provide increased cushion. An expensive route to take lol.

a 205 / 215 should be set around +40 / +20, depending on rim width, if the option of choice is available, always grab the +40 / +30 option since you can always add a 10mm spacer to no detriment, but it's a pain to have the back of a rim machined down if you're poking too much.

On the 8.5" I'm running a '205/40R17 +20', wee bit of stretch going on, nothing dangerous, but couldn't go any wider of rubber at the time. It just just kisses the fender liner plastic at one particular point while turning under load, I've picked up some matching thin ABS sheets though and will be modifying them to not do that when I move to chopping up the fenders:

Name:  20170513_192400.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  21752274_740244279645_5272880970725671056_n.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  59.1 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

SuperTurbo (11-29-2017)