Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-face lift JDM front Conversion Nismo Spec Project

Thanks
    Moving forward, I finally had the chance to proceed with test fitting all the conversion parts and installing the Nismo K13 body parts.
    Name:  IMG_6314.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  85.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6316.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  98.6 KB

To start things off, I stripped the entire front-end leaving nothing but the frame and wheel well guards.
    Measuring the front base model bumper ground clearance.
    Name:  IMG_6317.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  88.0 KB

Converting the Canadian face lift spec to pre-face lift requires a change of fenders, this is also important if someone wishes to go to Nismo spec too. These fenders also house the night time side marker lights.
    Name:  IMG_6322.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  91.4 KB
    I got the fenders but they I also quickly realised they do not use the same fender bracket, so I got the original brackets from Nissan Japan, bellow is a comparison showing the difference. These are the brackets that the front bumper clips unto. Part# 62224-3HM0A (left hand) & 62225-3HM0A (right hand).
    Name:  IMG_6318.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6322.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  91.4 KB

On the right side of the frame, the JDM fenders should mount exactly to these following points and they did. It is simple re-assembly from now on, making sure not to strip the existing inserts as they are fragile. The sheet metal is very thin; I had to proceed with caution. To my delight everything fit perfectly, the BIW is the same up front.
    Name:  IMG_6330.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6337.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  93.4 KB

This mounted point is hidden behind this trim, lifting it up carefully to avoid breaking it. Both fenders have 3 major mounting points below.
    Name:  IMG_6323.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6326.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  82.6 KB

Now it was just a matter of repeating it on the other side. All the wheel well guards snap back to the correct mounting locations just like the facelift spec fenders.

With both fenders installed it was now time to mount the OEM JDM headlamps, which will line up perfectly to the fenders since they match in shape.
    Name:  IMG_6342.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  97.1 KB

Thanks
    They are 3 basic mounting locations, front top and side. Here I am showing the top location which sandwiches my oil catch can bracket.
    Name:  IMG_6350.jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6355.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  94.5 KB
    Next up was the JDM hood, this one was an easy bolt on, and they both used the same brackets. This actual one I sourced form a CVT base model March. With that installed the hood can be closed with the JDM headlamps.
    Name:  IMG_6360.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6366.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  95.3 KB

Now the best moment was installing the front Nismo bumper, I thought perhaps the air intake funnel would need to be removed since the Japanese spec K13 doesn’t use one, but to my surprise it fit and wasn’t a problem. Since I don’t have the DRL LEDs (yet) this will do, but the funnel will need to be modified if the LED DRL are equipped inside the bumper.
    Name:  IMG_6379.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6382.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  97.4 KB

The Nismo bumper offers enlarged front radiator vent, improved aero and comes included with a separated full molded lip that required me to screw it on, as this particular bumper didn’t come with all the hardware. Luckily all the rivet nuts were M6 spec to equip the OEM Nismo lip. Nismo also offers an extended lip ad-on (option)
    Name:  IMG_6387.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  89.9 KB

I also decided to measure the ground clearance with the Nismo bumper to compare it to the base model and it seems to be maybe about 1/8th lower, but overall the same ground clearance

Moving out back, removing the tail lamps is where the two single self-tapping screws are located that hold the rear bumper in place. Also the side screws near the rear wheel wells need to be removed too.
    The rear bumper brackets do not need to be changed to their JDM counterparts, they are the same.
    Name:  IMG_6393.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  95.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6402.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6407.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  98.7 KB
    The rear bumper under shroud however needs to be removed, and this replaced with the Nismo spec under shroud. I didn’t have this part but will have it handy for final assembly after paint. If the base model shroud isn’t removed there is an interference with the rear Nismo bumper diffusor molding.

This step is also where the rear crashbar would be removed and replaced with the Nismo rear bar which is tubular and less heavy than this crash bar. ( for now I will leave it on, and also the foam backing)

Installing the rear Nismo bumper is just as easy as the base model bumper. A typical Nismo feature (Japan only) is a working rear fog lamp, (the same fog lamp used on the 370Z base model and Nismo spec)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobuseri For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-08-2018)

Thanks
    A close up of the rear bumper lip feature.
    Lastly for mock0up purposes I placed the Nismo arches which give the fenders some protection from rocks and debris. They also serve as width guide in case I want to enlarge the track width with wheel spacers which I will (10mm about). They give out a more aggressive premium package look.
    Name:  IMG_6418.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  86.6 KB

Finally the Nismo skirts, which also feature a gunmetal color with red accent lip design, this is the current design language at Nismo from Autech (samurai sword looking)
    Name:  IMG_6416.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  90.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6426.jpg
Views: 2112
Size:  99.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6429.jpg
Views: 2197
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6433.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  88.9 KB
    The rear bumper seems longer than the base model, it also is a common European design trait to make them more square out back to help fight drag. The cut out perfectly wraps around my GTbox 06&S exhaust from Kakimoto and also displaying the Autech above the tip.
    Name:  IMG_6444.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  82.7 KB
    The front gorgeous Nismo S emblem is installed on its dedicated cradle on the Nismo upper grill. No fake ebay Nismo emblem here.

This project is entering its climax very soon, just need to re-spray these body parts and install some OEM emblems which I should be accepting delivery very soon. This project is a dedicated OEM look, with slight to minor tasteful mods. I will have to re-wire a bit the front headlamps, swap the connectors etc so there is still a bit of work ahead but the worst is done. Until next time!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nobuseri For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-08-2018),MightyMicra (05-24-2018)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Man your project is amazing. This make me want to spend money on mine ��

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by govinc View Post
    Man your project is amazing. This make me want to spend money on mine ��
    When you got passion money isn't an issue. It was actually harder sourcing these parts at the right price than paying for them.

Thanks
    Looks good great work! Might consider swapping mine over.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicra For This Useful Post:

Nobuseri (05-24-2018)

Thanks
    I respect about this actually.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shcboyzone For This Useful Post:

Nobuseri (06-03-2018)

Thanks
    Nice job! thanks for documenting everything.

Oh yea and love the Saitama sticker.
    Last edited by Whodilly; 06-04-2018 at 05:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR manual: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.4 mpg (Imp) ... 13.6 km/L ... 32.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whodilly View Post
    Nice job! thanks for documenting everything.

Oh yea and love the Saitama sticker.
    Well thank you and yeah good to see someone knows, it could be mistake for Caillou with red gloves haha. "I'm just a sticker who's a hero for fun"

Thanks
    Very nice.

One of a kind car in North America?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Nobuseri (06-08-2018)