Thread: Tire Pressure Checks in Cold Weather

Thanks

Tire Pressure Checks in Cold Weather

Just a reminder to recheck your tire pressure now the colder weather has arrived.
    I found my stock tires all at 27 psi (cold) using a digital tire pressure gauge when it was 0 C outside.
    I reset them to 33 psi as per the door panel.
    I haven't noticed any change in handling but I suspect the fuel economy may improve.
    Good news is the tire is so small it takes very little air to pump the tires back up.
    On a side note I had an issue with my Dodge Caravan & MR Lube.
    They added a lot of air during an oil change visit to each tire (this vehicle has TPMS which is apparently only good for low pressure alarms)
    The next day the van was very unstable on the freeway & I remembered the Mr Lube visit.
    I found each tire at 45-50 psi due to a faulty tire pressure gauge at their shop.
    It took a revisit to the shop & a complaint to their head office before they finally got their pressure
    gauges tested & repaired.....

Thanks
    Always a good reminder to check pressure, especially when it's getting colder out!

Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    Good news is the tire is so small it takes very little air to pump the tires back up.
    Most of my cars have had small tires - I usually adjust them with a bicycle pump.

On a side note I had an issue with my Dodge Caravan & MR Lube.
    I found each tire at 45-50 psi due to a faulty tire pressure gauge at their shop.
    I bet it got great fuel economy though!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Tire pressure in cold weather on my 2019 Micra S.:
    35 psi on front axle tires. Loaded weight on front axle is close to 700 kgs.
    30 psi on back axle tires. Loaded weight on back axle is close to 500 kgs.
    Driver only. With the back seats removed. And nothing loaded in the back.
    Stock tires on OEM steel wheels. This setup calms down the very bumpy
    ride of the back axle. Slight comfort improvement over a slight loss of fuel mileage.