Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just added new head unit.

Thanks

Just added new head unit.

Just installed a Kenwood double din in micra. It was relatively easy, the hardest part was putting the dash trim back in with the 2 vents coming loose always.

Name:  20171029_121559.jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  95.0 KB

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jordan2110 For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (10-31-2017),Memorex88 (02-26-2019),MetroMPG (10-30-2017),palourde77 (10-29-2017),Phoenix (01-01-2018),WalkingBlackBear (04-09-2018)

Thanks
    Probably the nicest system in a base S Micra!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan2110 View Post
    Just installed a Kenwood double din in micra. It was relatively easy, the hardest part was putting the dash trim back in with the 2 vents coming loose always.

Name:  20171029_121559.jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  95.0 KB
    Looks great!

I'm really torn about getting the piano black bezel with a double din deck install or not. The dash kit matches the matte plastic bezel pretty well but most decks have a piano black finish...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    Looks great!

I'm really torn about getting the piano black bezel with a double din deck install or not. The dash kit matches the matte plastic bezel pretty well but most decks have a piano black finish...

You could always paint the dash kit.

Thanks
    You could always paint the dash kit.
    I was thinking about doing that and also matching the door arm rests all in piano black, I'm just worried about the overall finish and how it will hold up over time. Guess I could clear coat it like crazy lol.

Is there much room behind the deck when you hauled it out?

Thanks
    I was thinking about doing that and also matching the door arm rests all in piano black, I'm just worried about the overall finish and how it will hold up over time. Guess I could clear coat it like crazy lol.

There was a decent amount of space behind and some below. It wasnt hard to slide the new deck in and try to fit the wires in behind, No issues there.

I have to pull the deck out in the next few weeks to hook up an amp so if i remember ill take a quick photo or video.

The only odd thing i found was the metra wire harness adapter says the ground wire on the harness is for Subarus only and i had to ground the deck to the metal frame inside the dash. Ive only put aftermarket decks in domestics before and there you just attach deck ground to harness ground.

Thanks
    There was a decent amount of space behind and some below. It wasnt hard to slide the new deck in and try to fit the wires in behind, No issues there.

I have to pull the deck out in the next few weeks to hook up an amp so if i remember ill take a quick photo or video.

The only odd thing i found was the metra wire harness adapter says the ground wire on the harness is for Subarus only and i had to ground the deck to the metal frame inside the dash. Ive only put aftermarket decks in domestics before and there you just attach deck ground to harness ground.
    Hmm.. Interesting, I've probably installed about 8-9 decks across a variety of imports and most of them have had grounding in the harness but that's a good thing to note.

I was considering installing one of these behind the deck:
    https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500KTP4...c&awug=9001632

Instead I'm leaning towards a high powered double-din (45W RMS / 100W Peak x 4) and a passive subwoofer off of one of the pre-outs.

What amp are you looking at and what are you going to be running off of it?

Thanks
    Hmm.. Interesting, I've probably installed about 8-9 decks across a variety of imports and most of them have had grounding in the harness but that's a good thing to note.

I was considering installing one of these behind the deck:
    https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500KTP4...c&awug=9001632

Instead I'm leaning towards a high powered double-din (45W RMS / 100W Peak x 4) and a passive subwoofer off of one of the pre-outs.

What amp are you looking at and what are you going to be running off of it?

When i get home ill take a photo of the bag the harness came in and show you the wire diagram on the back of it.

Ive installed a kenwood 9904s head unit

For the rest ive ordered,
    Hertz MPK165p.3 components.
    Hertz MP 250 D4 10" sub.
    Hertz HDP 5 channel amp.

Ive built a mock up false trunk amp and sub box for the back of the micra. Ive made it out of plywood for now and will then copy it and build it out of mdf.

The doors will also definitely need some sound deadening, the new take makes a huge difference with sound quality even with the stock speakers but the door panels rattle like crazy.

Thanks

Here is photo of the back of the bag the harness came in.

Name:  20171030_172727.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  91.8 KB

Thanks
    When i get home ill take a photo of the bag the harness came in and show you the wire diagram on the back of it.

Ive installed a kenwood 9904s head unit

For the rest ive ordered,
    Hertz MPK165p.3 components.
    Hertz MP 250 D4 10" sub.
    Hertz HDP 5 channel amp.

Ive built a mock up false trunk amp and sub box for the back of the micra. Ive made it out of plywood for now and will then copy it and build it out of mdf.

The doors will also definitely need some sound deadening, the new take makes a huge difference with sound quality even with the stock speakers but the door panels rattle like crazy.
    Damnnn that setup is gonna sound nice! You're gonna have to keep the volume below 10 though or you'll blow the doors off our tin can lol.

I definitely want to see the faux trunk build pics!

I've been worried about soundproofing too and how much should be done (probably a lot..).

I'm considering just buying a bunch of this and going to town:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Nashua-Aluminu...um%2Btape&th=1