Thread: Bigger Throttle Body (MR20DE)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Bigger Throttle Body (MR20DE)

It appears the MR20DE throttle body is of near identical design to the HR16DE and 10mm larger. They can be found for roughly 85$ used online. The Japanese forums and performance shops all use larger throttle bodies in their tunes. I believe they use a mix of a bored out stock one and the MR20DE.

Since I'm still trying to fine tune my intake and have confirmed through testing and logging that the ecu has accurately compensated for the increased flow (not running lean), I'm considering adding in the larger throttle body and increasing the intake size to be more uniform behind the air filter (4" in/out). Right now I'm down stepping from 4" to 2.5" OD. I'm just not sure how worth it it would be with the stock diameter MAF housing in there.

Anyone else look into or attempt a throttle body upgrade?

Thanks
    Quite expensive full tune up package from Mine's Motor Sports.
    http://www.mines-wave.com/JP/CATALOG...SMO_S_K13.html
    This gives you an idea that perhaps, throttle body isn't enough, it's a combination of ECU tuning and those intake upgrades. Your best bet is to get Uprev's Osiris standard program to make you a custom cable for about 500$ and get a local Uprev tuner to change a few settings, similar to the pre-tuned Mine's ECU which is a stock casing with their badge on it, pre made for the HR15DE.

Seems like the 1.8 2.0 and 2.5 all use the same t/b with different entry angles for the coolant and all use the 6 pin in a row plug
    The cheapest I found was the mr1.8 thru rockauto I will do a size comparison and trial run.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've been watching some EU 2.0L throttle bodies on ebay. They seem to go mostly for 80-90$ used.

Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    I've been watching some EU 2.0L throttle bodies on ebay. They seem to go mostly for 80-90$ used.
    I paid 140 cdn on rock auto for he mr18 (same as 20) and I get a 47$ core refund for a newly Reman. Unit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Stock Vs mr18 the bolt holes are 5mm further apart needs adaptor
    Attached Images Attached Images     

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    Stock Vs mr18 the bolt holes are 5mm further apart needs adaptor
    Great comparison Impul! If you can get a simple adapter fabricated for testing this might be the best route to go!

Thanks
    Just realized this is like the same thing N-tec was doing about a year ago, and a few months ago they started selling their complete kit with adapter plate and MR20DE t/b.
    Name:  1712-014-006.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  90.0 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobuseri View Post
    Just realized this is like the same thing N-tec was doing about a year ago, and a few months ago they started selling their complete kit with adapter plate and MR20DE t/b.
    Name:  1712-014-006.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  90.0 KB
    http://ntecnagoya.blog137.fc2.com/blog-entry-1388.html

I think that's one of the Japanese performance shops I ended up on when I was deep in the Google hole a while back.

I wish it was a bit cheaper.. $360 is a little more than I wanted to pay but I'll be in Japan in May, I'd love to bring back some JDM performance parts straight from the source..

Thanks
    Hi, I'm very curious... any updates to this!?
    2019 Micra S - 5-speed
    -Eibach Lowering Springs
    -HK Silent-Power Exhaust
    -Chassis Braces
    -Reinforced Engine & Trans Bushings

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...