Thread: I'm moving from Oregon to Northern Ontario

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

I'm moving from Oregon to Northern Ontario

We presently own a Nissan Cube (the third Cube we have had) and love it. We live in Oregon, USA, but are moving to Northern Ontario in a few months. As we are afraid that the salt will eat the CUBE away once we move to Ontario, and since CUBES are no longer available outside of Japan we were looking for a "beater" car for the winter months. There isn't a lot available for $10k.
    Then we came across the MICRA and are seriously considering it; brand new car, full warranty, and in our price range.
    We probably won't be taking many long trips in the winter, we will use the 2014 Cube in the summer months.
    One reason we really like the Cube is the ease of getting in and out of it; we hope the MICRA will be the same. Are there any older owners that can comment on their experience?

Another concern is the ability to use our existing snow tires.

The MICRA has 185/60R15 tires
    We have 195/65R15 snow tires mounted on Nissan 4-bolt steel wheels.
    Our tires are 1.2 cm wider, and 3.3 cm greater overall diameter.
    Will they fit without rubbing?

Thanks
    Welcome, tomcj2!

I love the Cube. There's one in my neighbourhood - funky machine.

If you want to "experience" some aspects of a Micra before you get to Ontario, go look at a Versa sedan and/or Note. Same 1.6L engine and manual transmission, same brakes / suspension (though the Micra comes with a rear stabilizer bar standard -- not sure about the Versa). Many of the interior components (dash/front seats) are the same as well.

Would you be going for the manual or automatic? I assume you're considering a base S manual, since that's the $10k option. Autobox is where the biggest difference is: the Micra has an old-school 4-speed slushbox, but the Versa auto is a CVT. Not comparable at all.

The Micra is fairly tall for a subcompact and has tons of headroom. Ingress/egress is easy - though obviously not as easy as your Cube which is even taller and has bigger doors. Again, if you try a Versa sedan, I think you'll get the idea.

I'll let someone else comment on the tire rubbing question, but my bet is they'd be OK.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.
    We went into a local NISSAN dealer and looked at a VERSA sedan. Its almost as easy to get in and out of as our CUBE, it has a little less headroom but that won't be a problem. We didn't bother driving it as I assume it will be similar to what we have.
    We do want the 5-speed manual. Most of our winter driving will be on snow (and salt) covered highways with little city driving. We had a 2010 5-speed CUBE for 3 years and enjoyed it except for stop and go rush hour driving. Our 2013 and 2014 CUBEs had the CVT, and its good for our present driving needs, but many owners have had problems with them and they are VERY expensive to have replaced (nobody seems to be able to have them repaired or rebuilt)
    As far as the snow tires are concerned I discovered today that even if they will fit the MICRA I'll have to buy new wheels; The CUBE studs are spaced at 114mm while I believe that the MICRA has 100 mm spacing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    We went into a local NISSAN dealer and looked at a VERSA sedan. We didn't bother driving it as I assume it will be similar to what we have.
    Doesn't the Cube have a 1.8L? Regardless, the power to weight ratio is probably similar.

And I think you'll find the clutch to be quite light - not really a chore to use, even if you were driving in city traffic. Lots of members here have manuals and commute in the city.

When are you heading to Ontario?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Doesn't the Cube have a 1.8L? Regardless, the power to weight ratio is probably similar.

When are you heading to Ontario?
    You are correct! The CUBE has a 1.8l, 122hp engine. It has more power than I need; it will climb long 6% mountain passes at 75 mph with ease.
    We are moving to the North Channel of Lake Huron, close to the town of Spanish in May 2018. Any idea of when they will have the 2018 model year available?

Thanks
    They haven't been consistent with release timing of each new model year for the Micra.

The 2015 was available for something like 20 months. They introduced it as a 2015 in the first half of 2014, and the 2016 wasn't available until the end of 2015/early 2016.

The 2017 came out about around January of this year.

I believe you are allowed studdable tires in northern Ontario and will be needed .

The micra come stock with steelies unless you get a higher spec. So your 195/65R15 should fit those 15”steelies fine.

If you need new winters get with studs. Pay around $400 cdn installed and mounted for tires $45 cdn for each 15” 4x100 et 45-50 centre bore 60.1 <<< pay attention. A lot of ppl accidentally get 57.1 and then it to tight and the installer will “make it” fit..

Just get the right ones

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...