Thread: Hand Brake Adjustment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Hand Brake Adjustment

Just thought I'd share the procedure I used to tighten up my hand brake.
    After about 6 months use I found I had to pull the hand brake lever up too far to my liking
    to hold the car at a light or on a hill when parked.
    There is a procedure in the WSM but it does not tell you what size socket to use.
    The answer is you need a 10MM deep socket & short extension.
    I tightened mine to where it takes about 6 clicks upward before it starts to take hold.
    See the attached pictures to see where the wrench goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-18-2017),LilGeckos (10-18-2017),MetroMPG (10-18-2017),MrMicra2015 (10-17-2017),ontario_micra (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    That's the easiest handbrake adjustment!

Last time I did one, I'm sure I had to pull off the plastic junk around the lever, and adjust the 2 nuts on the ends of the brake cables.

Thanks for sharing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Your welcome.
    I got side-tracked by a picture I found online showing a turn buckle cable adjuster under the car (must be for an older Micra).
    I even rolled the rear tires up on ramps to look for the adjuster & found nothing but 2 shielded cables, one to each wheel.Name:  K13 Ebrake adjust.jpg
Views: 6663
Size:  22.7 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    Your welcome.
    I got side-tracked by a picture I found online showing a turn buckle cable adjuster under the car (must be for an older Micra).
    I even rolled the rear tires up on ramps to look for the adjuster & found nothing but 2 shielded cables, one to each wheel.Name:  K13 Ebrake adjust.jpg
Views: 6663
Size:  22.7 KB
    wow!!!! Thanks for the great tip. My car had rolled down the drive way yesterday. The brake was not engaging very tightly any more.
    I saw this tip for adjusting the parking brake. So I went to Canadian Tire and spent $6.00 for the deep 10mm socket.
    Stick it on the end of a speed handle (its nice and long) and in 1 minute the brake was adjusted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skill57 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Funny I just got an email update alert on this thread from "wayward_one" but don't see it here yet? Anyways he/she mentioned manually adjusting "silver" adjusters on the rear drum brakes.
    I had a sudden memory of High School Automotive class where we learned about self-adjusting drum brakes.
    The procedure I used was to back up (safely) & then apply firm brake pressure to come to a complete hard stop & then release the pedal.
    I did this 2-3 times & was amazed how much better the brake pedal felt after, the brakes now grab with very little peddle travel & feel firmer + the E brake handle travel required is less.
    The idea is the the drum/shoe self-adjusters will click/ ratchet tighter one time per hard reverse stop.
    Probably doing this too
    many times will result in no free play on the drum's shoes & cause dragging (not good)

Thanks
    Exactly what happened to mine, except I use the handbrake religiously and they still seized. Definitely check them if you're having issues we had to free them for everything to work. I went without back brakes for a few months not realizing they were seized from something.