Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter tire question

Thanks
    Tomcj2 - assuming you're using the S/SV OE steel rim that's 5.5" wide because you said R15, here's the Stock rim and rubber vs your proposed set up, straight with fender line and turning circle to the point they get closest to the fender liners, with the gap dimensioned.

Since your rubber is only 3/16's wider (towards the fender) it's extremely likely that even at full travel you won't impact anything above the tire, all that's there is the fender liner, then a void behind that.

(had deleted this earlier, forgot about the scrub radius, using an assumed 2" - so top to bottom is, stock / yours / mine / my plan for summer)
    TLR - you're good

Name:  Tire comparison - fixed.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  84.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

NUBNUB (04-11-2018),tomcj2 (04-11-2018)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for your work Azmodon!!
    We are moving to the North Shore of Lake Huron in a couple of weeks. We are importing a 2014 CUBE (45,000 miles, CVT) that has never seen salt on the roads and we would like to keep it that way. We will most certainly buy a MICRA for winter use only. We want a small car (to limit the number of free rides our neighbours would otherwise request) with a manual transmission for better control on snow covered roads and lower maintenance cost. We have researched many other makes and models and the MICRA SV seems to meet all of our needs
    The CUBE came with 195/60R15 tires but I increased the size to correct the speedometer reading. The Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires were new last year and have less than 4,000 miles on them. They are excellent in snow and on ice.
    Rather than buying a second set of wheels I will have the dealer swap out the tires and sell the ones that came with the Micra.
    We moved to the USA 22 years ago; we are looking forward to returning to Canada.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    if you guys can supply the tire and rim size (normal 185/60R16 what ever), including the rim width (S / SV use 5.5" wide rims), and the offset, I can draw what your wheels will do and how close they'll get to the fender liner during turning... Tom - I'll do yours in a bit (currently drawing a kitchen). The only other thing that would be useful for shock travel worries would be... what's the stock ride height in each corner? it's the one thing I can't go out and measure myself :P
    Would you be able to do one for me too?

Stock height. Currently have 185/60R15 steel rims that are 5.5 wide with 45 offset (I think that's stock offset, might be 42)
    Might lower one inch in future. Going to be moving to 195/55R16 rims that are 6.5 wide with a 37 offset and 5.24" backspacing.

I have used that "will they fit" website but not sure I understand offset and backspacing, poke and all that. I just don't want them to rub or poke out past the fender as I don't like that look and its probably illegal in someway.

I have seen the rims on a versa note sedan on a website before but there were no stats as to what sizes were and the photo was too crappy to make out.

Thanks in advance,
    NUBS
    Last edited by NUBNUB; 04-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Offset is measured from the midline of the rim, so 0mm would have the mating surface for the hub be right in the middle.
    Backspace is the distance from the rear face of the rim to the mounting surface... again, if it were a 0mm offset, the Backspace dimension would be half the rim width + 0.5" to account for the inboard flange. (offset is added or subtracted from that number otherwise)

If you have a 6.5" rim (165.1mm) with a +37mm offset, then your backspacing is half of 165.1 (82.55mm) + 37mm of offset = 119.55mm or 4.7" + the 0.5" flange, grand total, 5.2", either way, only one of those (offset vs backspace) is needed to know where a wheel's going to sit.

The stock offset for the 5.5" rims (if memory serves... and it's what I've been basing everything off of for 2 years so... that would be embarrassing lol) have a 55mm offset, the Autoshow release had them on 18"s with 42mm to have them "flush".

Here's stock vs your proposed setup - with straight lines it does show as passing the lip of the fender, but tires do curve back, and if you're not lowered you'd have to take one hell of a bump, likely while turning, before you'd have to worry about rubbing. If the front does need to be adjusted though, speaking from experience, a gentle tug on the front fenders fixes a lot - mine are at about 30 degrees, took 10 minutes.

also shown is the output from willtheyfit for speedo error reference.

Name:  NubNub tires.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  78.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

NUBNUB (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    Offset is measured from the midline of the rim, so 0mm would have the mating surface for the hub be right in the middle.
    Backspace is the distance from the rear face of the rim to the mounting surface... again, if it were a 0mm offset, the Backspace dimension would be half the rim width + 0.5" to account for the inboard flange. (offset is added or subtracted from that number otherwise)

If you have a 6.5" rim (165.1mm) with a +37mm offset, then your backspacing is half of 165.1 (82.55mm) + 37mm of offset = 119.55mm or 4.7" + the 0.5" flange, grand total, 5.2", either way, only one of those (offset vs backspace) is needed to know where a wheel's going to sit.

The stock offset for the 5.5" rims (if memory serves... and it's what I've been basing everything off of for 2 years so... that would be embarrassing lol) have a 55mm offset, the Autoshow release had them on 18"s with 42mm to have them "flush".

Here's stock vs your proposed setup - with straight lines it does show as passing the lip of the fender, but tires do curve back, and if you're not lowered you'd have to take one hell of a bump, likely while turning, before you'd have to worry about rubbing. If the front does need to be adjusted though, speaking from experience, a gentle tug on the front fenders fixes a lot - mine are at about 30 degrees, took 10 minutes.

also shown is the output from willtheyfit for speedo error reference.

Name:  NubNub tires.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  78.0 KB
    Thank you so much, very informative. I think my offset number came from my replacement steel rims. I used the matte black ones that came with the car for winters and bought gloss steel rims for my all seasons which I think are 45 offset and 6 inches wide X41547 is the product code I think. Rims I was looking at purchasing were Sparco Trofeo 4. Seems they will fit.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    That's amazing!

Thanks
    Amzodon did that like a boss. That was awesome!

Banned
    Thanks
    I also vote for the pattern