Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch issues - Severe judder

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Clutch issues - Severe judder

Hello all, wondering if anyone has experienced something similar, and how they went about warranty.
    2016 Micra SR 5 speed, 9200 kms. Occasionally I experience some pretty significant clutch judder/shaking when taking off from a stop. Its different than what you'd get if you let off the clutch to quick, more like its slipping and grabbing, repeatedly. Its not all the time, and on flat ground with no load I can usually avoid it. But if I need to use some finesse, like on a hill/loaded etc, I almost have to ride out the clutch a bit to avoid it.
    The car was a customer service loaner/demo, and had 2500 kms when I purchased it. Of the ~7000 kms I put on, at least 5000 of those are strictly highway in 5th gear. I have 180 000 on a 5 speed Ford with no issues, and learnt to drive on a stick. I do not believe my driving habits could possibly cause the clutch to be worn, and certainly not in such a short time.

Do I wait until it becomes more and more frequent before taking it in? Do I take it in and risk paying for an inspection to be told there's nothing wrong with it, or worse be told its a wear item?
    Anyone have a similar issue?

Thanks
    I suspect this will be a discretionary warranty situation (being on a "wear item").

The car was a customer service loaner/demo, and had 2500 kms when I purchased it.
    I bet that's the root of the problem, being driven from new by people who weren't good at / didn't care about using a clutch properly.

But I'd bring it in anyway: worst case scenario, you have officially documented the problem, so if it turns out not to be a wear problem, you have started a paper trail.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    There is a spring in the clutch, not only the marcelle spring to allow the clutch to engage/disengae but also springs to reduce driveline shock, so they would oscillate I find the stock clutch quite rubbery and it "seems" to me the engine mounts are very rubbery, or the clutch springs (for driveline shock) are very rubbery also .

its no sports car, i realize that and its not terrible, but what you experience might be "normal" because would say i get about the same thing....had the car since new.

what i get is one tire jumping around it "seems" like when i accelerate, there is a big racket. i try and avoid it , its not good for the car
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 10-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Just FYI... I've driven 4 different manual Micras, and haven't experienced any clutch judder.

I tend to be very gentle on a clutch though - like 81mc's "flat ground with no load" description.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Bring the car in as soon as possible. The clutch is a wear item....the longer you wait the longer a defect might not be covered. And I've seen people who have "driven manual all their life" burn a clutch in under 10k.

It sounds to me like you might either have a worn/abused clutch, bad clutch assembly/springs or a contaminated plate and flywheel such as a small oil leak or so.
    2015 Micra
    Nissan Service and Parts advisor

Thanks
    Any update on this, 81MC?

Thanks
    I have a 2016 Sr 5 speed manual. My clutch does the exact same thing as you are describing. Didnt start till about 50k. Brought it into the dealer for them to check and they said it was fine and it didnt do it for them. Warranty is up now and i bet if i bring it in now they will be able to diagnose the problem??
    Did you find out what the problem was from your dealer? Did they repair it for you?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, Weirdoh55.

Yes, it would be nice if 81MC let us know what the outcome was.

Thanks
    My 2018 has done the same flutter from 4000km to 26000, where I am now.

It just is what it is, I find. Still grips, still slips, just a bit wonky.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I find that I have to be way more conscience of my clutch control when the A/C is turned on, which creates more load. I've actually used an OBD Bluetooth scanner with the torque app and found that running the A/C adds about 20% more load to the engine, even at idle. Not sure exactly how accurate it is, but I can definitely feel more load on the engine when the A/C is on similar to if I had a car load of adults in the car. I've also since disconnected the auto A/C on connector. Are the jitters noticed when A/C is on and off? Just a thought