Thread: Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

Thanks

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

This report shows, with empirical data and sound reasoning, why OEM filters perform better in a variety of areas.

Here is an article that I found extremely enlightening, since it changed what I use to think dramatically! You may also want to look at the source...I'm sure that it will shake up some people's thinking! It did mine...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

K&N Air Filter VS Stock Paper Filter

This test is not as controlled as the data from the test above, however it does present an interesting perspective.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    We've been using K&N air filters in 4 successive vehicles (1985 Chevrolet Corsica, 1995 Suzuki Swift, 2001 Suzuki Esteem wagon, and now our "Little Guy" 2015 Micra) and we haven't seen much (if any) performance gains from the stock air intake with all of those vehicles; we purchased the filters primarily for cost savings. With a one-time purchase of the filter (about $80, so far each filter last as long as the vehicle) and a $30 recharge kit (cleaning fluid & filter oil) which lasts several years (clean filter in the spring and in the fall), we figure we're saving approx $50 to $100 per year changing to a new filter every spring and fall (even more on labour costs if you have it done at the shop) and as long as you're careful not to over-oil the filter, we've never had any problems with filter oil gumming up the intake sensors or throttle body. I will say that the exhaust sounds a little different from stock (sounds louder) with the washable filter. To actually get any measurable performance gains from the intake side of things, you probably would have to do a Micra Cup style air intake mod:

Name:  timthumb.php.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  84.2 KB
    Last edited by Micra In The Mountains; 10-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Nice!

Thanks
    The results don't seem to debunk a myth - I though it had always been known that they filtered less to have a less restrictive flow (which they found) and is the reason high flow filters are used, or no filter at all for some drag cars. What I find odd is that the methodology is dodgy, their calculations are off, and I'm a stickler for spelling in would-be scientific research.

In their dust accumulation calculations - AC Delco ran for 60 minutes, not 59, not 61 -> it was fed 9.8 grams per minute = 588 grams total, with an undisclosed mix of particle sizes ("specific distribution of particle sizes ranging from less than 2.5 microns to greater than 80 microns (see table below)." <- no table shows particle distribution)

So 588 grams got fed to the AC Delco - 574 got caught, 0.4 was passed through... so where's the other 13.6 grams?
    The K&N lasted 24 minutes, so it was fed 235.2 grams, it caught 221, 7.0 was passed through... where's the other 7.2 grams?

The dirt passing through each filter was captured in the test rigs "Post Filter" - was a new filter used each time, what type of filter is it, is it a perfect filter (impossible), are the missing grams this "post-filter's" error rate - why is the error rate not constant between tests, was the filter weighed and reused - if the test was based on inches of water air restriction and the same post-filter was used, how was the filter cleaned - was it not cleaned and therefore added progressive restriction to the assembly - in what order were the filters tested... etc etc etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...