Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 synthetic oil, good for 20 000km ??

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mobil 1 synthetic oil, good for 20 000km ??

Bonjour à tous,

I know we read a lot of different views on what's best regarding engine oil.

Mobil 1 brags that putting their synthetic oil should set you up for a full year of driving. 5w-40 would be the best grade; even so for Montréal winters?

I can change oil myself, and I want to be sensible. Both for my bucks and for environment, I am not willing to change oil more than needed; however I would like my beloved Micra to be treated with care and respect

What do you think?

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't run my Micra 20,000 kms on the same oil. I would run full synthetic but changing at the same intervals stated in the manual. I would run 5w-30 just as a full synthetic. After your warranty change the oil whenever you want.
    Last edited by ABMicra17; 08-29-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpierrelacasse View Post
    Bonjour à tous,

I know we read a lot of different views on what's best regarding engine oil.

Mobil 1 brags that putting their synthetic oil should set you up for a full year of driving. 5w-40 would be the best grade; even so for Montréal winters?

I can change oil myself, and I want to be sensible. Both for my bucks and for environment, I am not willing to change oil more than needed; however I would like my beloved Micra to be treated with care and respect

What do you think?
    Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT run your oil for 20,000kms. Change it every 4000-6000kms based on your driving habits. Check your oil levels and color regularly.

If you drive spiritedly and live in Canada, consider what oil weights you should run for each season. I typically run thicker oil in the summer (5w30/40) and thinner oil in the winter (5w20) but the same brand and type (i.e. synthetic).

I've been using Mobil1 synthetic for 7 years now and I while I stand by it I would never EVER EVER EVER run it for 20,000kms.

Thanks
    Wouldnt be a good idea and remember micra needs a major service every 40,000 KM anyway, 1.5 also does at 100k for some reason (too lazy to go to car and look at log book )
    http://www.nissan.com.au/~/media/Fil...MICRA_K13.ashx
    Last edited by nephy; 08-31-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    OK. I guess I should never profess such insanities! I am still puzzled as to why Nissan only recommends changes every 8000kms. I used to take it in every 8000kms or so for an oil change. Now I'll do it myself more frequently.

Also, I took for granted that a new engine does not burn oil. Big mistake. I feel terrible saying it but when I did my oil change this week myself, I witnessed how much oil was left in the tank. I was horrified to realize there was only about 1,5 liters in the pan... I know, shame on me... Never again, now I learned. Hopefully there has not been so much damage done...

I'm getting at 60 000kms and I want to change the manual transmission oil myself. Has any of you guys performed this? The access seems difficult, since there is a large metal part under it...

Thanks
    Three Months, 3,000 Miles Or Longer?: The Truth about Oil Changes

Do You Really Need to Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles?

“The necessity of 3,000 mile oil changes is a myth that has been handed down for decades,” writes Austin Davis, proprietor of the website TrustMyMechanic.com.
    Last edited by Ajijic; 09-01-2017 at 11:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    "Manufacturers suggest you change oil more often for "severe" driving conditions, such as frequent trailer towing, extensive stop-go driving or idling in traffic, driving in extreme heat or cold, or frequent short-distance driving in which the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature."

"Davis says that educated drivers should opt for longer lasting, better performing synthetic oils, which are “most likely good for 10,000 to 15,000 miles or six months” whether or not their manufacturers recommend more frequent changes or not. Some synthetic motor oils, like Amsoil, NEO and Red Line, to name a few, are created specifically to last 25,000 miles or one year before needing a change."

While I agree you definitely should run and stick with synthetic oils, the stipulations around running your oil for much longer leave a pretty narrow use case. I only put about 8000kms on the vehicles I own each year. Most of us drive in extreme weather conditions and stop and go traffic and I like to run my vehicles harder for a bit of fun.

TLDR; if you don't feel super confident around cars at least check your oil every 5K. If levels and color are all good, wait longer to change it.

Thanks
    As I find with most discussions about oil change intervals this is only my $0.02

Thus far I haven't had any oil consumption issues (knock on wood)
    Also suprising considering this isn't a Subaru haha
    However I change my oil every 10,000kms with recommended weight and viscosity.
    I have driven 50000Kms in the year that I have owned my micra.
    So an oil change every other month or so..
    Been using Castrol synthetic however Just switched to Penzoil platinum as CT had it on special for super cheap a few weeks back..
    For the record I also usually check fluid levels at most fill ups..

I figure more often is better than less often, however I drive enough and all highway that i figure it doesn't sit in there long enough to break down much.. In another 2 years when I'm at around 150,000kms or two years after that when I hit 250,000kms maybe It will be a different story. At this point however only time will tell!
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Been using Castrol synthetic however Just switched to Penzoil platinum as CT had it on special for super cheap a few weeks back..
    For the record I also usually check fluid levels at most fill ups..
    [/QUOTE]

Your using Pennzoil platinum caught my eye and I wish to share my experience with this synthetic oil made from natural gas.
    I have a 2011 Chry 300 pentastar engine and an oil catch can installed. Catch can gets checked and emptied monthly. Have been using Castrol synthetic since I got the car in 2011. I got all interested when Pennzoil synthetic started making oil from natural gas. So I put Pennzoil synthetic in the car in July of 2016 and when I did my monthly catch can check I found it overflowing. It has never been that full when I was using Castrol synthetic. So I changed my oil back to Castrol and now that the month is over I checked the catch can and there is barely any fluid in the can which is what I always found. So what happened? Does Castrol have a better resistance to the heat buildup than the Pennzoil? I guess I'll never know but Castrol is now my only choice.

I researched Pennzoil online and most folks claim its a good product, lots of comments on where to buy it cheaper and some have posted their Pennzoil filled engines are consuming up to a quart over a period of time. Makes me wonder if the oil is the problem for those finding their engines being down a quart.
    And to add to this I put my left over Pennzoil platinum in my whole house generator this spring, having only used Castrol synthetic, and after three months of the generator doing its weekly test runs I found the engine had consumed about a cup of the Pennzoil oil. The generator is 17 years old and has never consumed oil in all those years. I changed back to Castrol synthetic and so far no oil consumption.

I can only say whatever you do monitor your oil level closely.
    Last edited by eddy; 09-16-2017 at 06:42 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Bobaganousch (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    My second car was a $500 special, 1988 VW Fox. To be honest, to this day after owning about 13 different vehicles. I swear its been my best car ive owned. All I had to fix was to replace the hall sensor inside the distributor. Outside of that, I only replaced the brakes and tires a few times.
    Driven that car 100 000km over two years. I never once changed the oil. I did have to add a littre of oil every two months. I must have been burning oil cause i never seen any drips. I was using the cheapest crap on the market, Motomaster Nugold.

What I have learn from this. Is that your unlikely to damage your engine by running old oil. You might loose performance. What will really damage your car, is waiting for the idiot light to come on to tell you your low on oil. Running low on oil will damage your engine.

That said, on most of my vehicles I use Mobil 1 syntetic. I tend to stick around the recommended change interval. But I dont loose sleep if I go past a few thousand km.