Thread: Maxxis vs Toyo vs Michelin

Thanks

Maxxis vs Toyo vs Michelin

The car currently has Maxxis 307 165/70R14 OEM, and after 20,000 Km are showing a fair bit of wear. I am having a difficult time to find many choices in this tire size, therefore I would like to change to a 175/70R14 which offers more options. This change should not affect the speedometer readings to any appreciable extent. I am contemplating the Toyo 350 (which I have had previously on another car) and the Michelin XM2; I will confess that I am a big fan of Toyo tires due to their quality standards and reputation. The Toyos' are also about half the price of the Michelins'. You thoughts and ideas would be appreciated...TIA.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Never owned Toyos or Maxxis car tires however they were pretty good on my bike..
    I've never had a problem with the Michelins that I have owned..
    I think that you are definitely going down the right track with the Toyos though. I think the whole idea of this car is budget oriented so may as well not spend a fortune on tires when it isn't needed.

As for tire size, It seems to be a common occurrence that speedometers here in Canada are out by 5-10Km/h. If that is the case for you in Mexico as well, you might want to correct that at the same time when replacing the rubber. Ill be doing the same thing for next summer as I am starting to get down to the bottom of usable limits on my tires aswell
    I was able to find some stuff in regards to correcting that in the thread below on the first couple of pages..

http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...fitment-thread

IMPUL posted this somewhere else on the forum and might also be handy for you..

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobaganousch For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (09-07-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajijic View Post

The car currently has Maxxis 307 165/70R14 OEM, and after 20,000 Km are showing a fair bit of wear. I am having a difficult time to find many choices in this tire size, therefore I would like to change to a 175/70R14 which offers more options. This change should not affect the speedometer readings to any appreciable extent. I am contemplating the Toyo 350 (which I have had previously on another car) and the Michelin XM2; I will confess that I am a big fan of Toyo tires due to their quality standards and reputation. The Toyos' are also about half the price of the Michelins'. You thoughts and ideas would be appreciated...TIA.
    How do you drive? What kind of conditions do you drive in year round? What feature is most important to you (grip, tread life, sound)?

For the sake of getting a better tire and overall feel/performance you could get 15-16" steelies used for dirt cheap to open up your options.

14" Tires are slim pickin's these days, it's only going to get worse. If you've gotta buy tires anyway, I wouldn't stay on 14" wheels personally.

I'm going to assume you don't have to worry about winter tires, do you get a lot of rain where you live?

Decent 15" example:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Decent 16" example:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Standard%20Key

I know you have limited options with 14" wheels but neither of the tires you're looking at have particularly great tread patterns or reviews. You'll get decent tread wear out of them but that's about it. Buying for one type of driving season year round, you shouldn't have to compromise 365 days/year. I wish I didn't have to worry about every type of driving condition lol..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (09-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks spacewolf but longevity is priority one, since the roads here are paved in cobblestone in some parts. These are no more than small boulders (with sharp edges) placed in the roadways. I'd swear some of them must have been placed there by Cortez himself; and it's like driving on a cheese grater. This is not even mentioning the potholes that can take off the suspension without the proper maneuvering around them! I'll stick with the 14" and probably go with the Toyo which have served me well in the past.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sounds similar to the Yukon then LOL. I literally shook the fender liners down in one of my cars on one of the roads here and then they made contact with the wheels and well yeah... Insurance also won't cover windshields here. We have a truck now though with all-terrains and my little micra just takes me to work and back basically.

I hope your new tires hold up!

Thanks
    Finally decided on the Toyo Extensa A/S. The UTQG Rating is more reasonable for these roads.175/65R14.