Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My second engine replacement : this time by me

I've been so focused on other parts of the engine that I'm realizing this has an a/c condenser pump.
    this had to be special ordered an so it's making me think it's possible out of a versa.
    How many manuals with a/c are there?!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Mine is manual with AC!

I'm in.
    Head looks decent. Still have to see how well sealed the valves are. But it looks good.

Now to take off the trans and sensors so I can put on the stand and check the con rod to crankshaft play
    Attached Images Attached Images    

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (09-04-2017)

Bout to crack the bell housing off

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-05-2017)

More special tools;
    Special socket for flywheel.
    Clutch alignment tool.

Here the main components of the build

TD04HL-19T - straight flange $450cdn
    Alloy Intake plenum - ( Freddy s13 sr20 ) $200cdn
    W2A intercooler kit - $400 cdn

TD04HL-19T
    Model: TD04HL-19T 
    Part NO: 49189-43900
    Comp: IN:46mm EX:58mm
    Turbine: IN:47.2mm EX:41.4mm

Here's a rough idea of the area of the compressor map I'll be using

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    I like to the manual for advice and when I look at something scratch my head and think wtf.

Also for the special procedures and torque readings. But honestly, to me, it's unbolt this unbolt that..
    I've done basic regular maintenance to all my cars since 2004
    And went to Niagara college for motive power tech. I was told to test out. get to work.
    I dropped out mid-term.

Becoming a mechanic is literally an open book test pass/fail
    And you get a copy of. 1/5 test to practice on with answers. So literally any test you have 20% of test right of the bat and may even get the exact test .. Especially if you re-take.

To become a master tech you amass quite literally a fortune in debt and tools
    And make enough so you basically even out at around $20/hr for life.
    And have 4 tones of metal you have to move around if you move or change company's.
    And you do move around. Or you open your own shop and basically live there.

I decided to continue being an enthusiast and have fun with cars instead and roll the dice on a different career path.

I just finished my last OSAP payment. For 1/4 of a semester in 2010. Nowadays it's free.

I'm not even salty about it ( super salty ) lol

Well, glad that you still find joy in working on cars! I have debated going into the diesel mechanics trade and have always thought that I might end up in the same position. Losing the love for autos that is.. Congrats on becoming OSAP free though! Now that can go into a monthly Micra turbo fund! haha

Which manual are you using? the FSM? or has Hanes come out with something for us? Although I imagine that Haynes will most likely have the Versa and not the Micra... but most of the info could probably be transferable...maybe....?

Wish I was closer to Ontario I would love to bring beer and give you a hand..
    Really looking forward to the end result of this project!
    The first turbo Micra in Canada maybe?
    Not a bad title at all!

Will check in again soon.
    Cheers and happy wrenching!
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Bobaganousch View Post
    Well, glad that you still find joy in working on cars! I have debated going into the diesel mechanics trade and have always thought that I might end up in the same position. Losing the love for autos that is.. Congrats on becoming OSAP free though! Now that can go into a monthly Micra turbo fund! haha

Which manual are you using? the FSM? or has Hanes come out with something for us? Although I imagine that Haynes will most likely have the Versa and not the Micra... but most of the info could probably be transferable...maybe....?

Wish I was closer to Ontario I would love to bring beer and give you a hand..
    Really looking forward to the end result of this project!
    The first turbo Micra in Canada maybe?
    Not a bad title at all!

Will check in again soon.
    Cheers and happy wrenching!
    I think the field for diesel mechanic is slightly better. Fleet work is generally steadier. But it has to be big like police mechanic or TTC or something.

I love cars too much to want to hate it.

I use online FSM for hr16de usually it's for versa but it's useable / transferable info. For the most part.

The big influx to the project will be tax refund.
    But I wanna get some things outta the way sooner.
    Intake/turbo/W2A intercooler kit. $1000 CDN +/-
    Tax season should help with all the little pieces and get some custom welding done .

Any welders here wanna help me with the exhaust t2 flange mod and custom Intake runners plenum>head .
    I'll supply materials and beer ( or whatever )

Got e20 torx socket for the flywheel bolts
    Had to secure the fly to the block with a strip of alloy and one bolt thru it into the fly
    One bolt and nut thru a bolt hole in the block.
    Still took me leaning against the engine and down on the bar at the same time.

Mounted it wrong on the engine stand so I can't access bottom end. Try again tomorrow.
    Head resurfaced / deck cleaned and smooth.

I check head to deck clearance and it's nice and tight. Could probably just seal it with rubber gasket seal lol. Naw. But it is a good seal.

Started thinking. For better balance less vibration and more pull on the Intake stroke ( better VE ) using hr15de crank / rods.

In theory, the hr15de uses the same block. But 78.0bx78.4s vs 78.0bx83.6s
    That difference is the crankshaft ( stroke ) and a presumed 2.6mm longer rod. Or
    Higher piston. Or both.

In either case you can keep the piston to deck height the same while reducing the stroke and getting a better rod/stroke ratio.

The hr15 mean piston speed at 6950rpm is the same as hr16de at 6500rpm.
    Meaning 7.5k rev limiter is not out of the question

Hr15de uses a high 10.5:1 compression ratio (and still content with regular grade gasoline), the dual-injector HR15DE produces 84 kW (113 hp) at 6000 rpm and 150 N·m (111 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm.

The piston is probably shaped different piston part number 15>16 is different.
    They have similar heads. I need to find more info. But it's hard to find hr15de FSM

Longer rods are better. Pulls down quicker spends more time at TDC slows down before TDC and just after tDC. Giving more complete and even burn.

Torque is better too.

Confirmed : hr15de vs hr16de
    Rod: 132.5mm vs 129.9mm ( +2.6mm )
    Crank 39.2 vs 41.8 ( 78.4 vs 83.6 ) -2.6mm
    R/S ratio 1.69 vs 1.55
    Same deck height same piston spec same bearings same timing chain. Etc.

Time to source a used hr15de crank and rods.
    What I'll lose in displacement I'll more then make up for elsewhere

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MightyMicra (09-09-2017)