Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you run for winter tires?

Thanks

What do you run for winter tires?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking around for a dedicated winter tire. Yes, I know it's August. For some of us who live in Alberta, we can get snow in September, last year for example.

I was wondering what others run for a dedicated winter tires. I love having Michelin Xi3 tires, they were amazing.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    I maybe cheap on some stuff, but when it comes to winter tires. I get nothing but the top rated tires. As such Ill be fitting my Micra with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Out here in Vancouver you see nothing but all wheel drive vehicles outfitted with worn all-season tires in the ditch. And even as you help them out of the ditch they try to tell you that they do not need winter tires because they have all-wheel drive... A bit ironic isnt it? Ask your self, is it cheaper buy good tires or having to deal with a preventable accident. Ultimately, find a proper winter dedicated tire thats within your budget.

Ive been fitting most of my past vehicles with non-studed Nokian tire. My subaru was the only one I got studded tires for. The only. Reason I did is because I was driving on the Coquihalla hwy daily. (for people not familiar with this road, its constantly featured on the show: highway to hell). That said, I think studded tires are over kill for most people. They do perform best on ice, but non studed versions do better on snowy, dry, and wet condition. Studded tires are much louder and in some cities, many parkades will not allow you to park there if you have studs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Groleau View Post
    I maybe cheap on some stuff, but when it comes to winter tires. I get nothing but the top rated tires. As such Ill be fitting my Micra with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Out here in Vancouver you see nothing but all wheel drive vehicles outfitted with worn all-season tires in the ditch. And even as you help them out of the ditch they try to tell you that they do not need winter tires because they have all-wheel drive... A bit ironic isnt it? Ask your self, is it cheaper buy good tires or having to deal with a preventable accident. Ultimately, find a proper winter dedicated tire thats within your budget.

Ive been fitting most of my past vehicles with non-studed Nokian tire. My subaru was the only one I got studded tires for. The only. Reason I did is because I was driving on the Coquihalla hwy daily. (for people not familiar with this road, its constantly featured on the show: highway to hell). That said, I think studded tires are over kill for most people. They do perform best on ice, but non studed versions do better on snowy, dry, and wet condition. Studded tires are much louder and in some cities, many parkades will not allow you to park there if you have studs
    I agree on something so important, people should never cheap out on winter tires. I remember one time I got the "Nordic" brand from Canadian Tire. It was some of the cheapest tires I owned but they worked amazing. The michelins that were on my last car were the best that I ever had. I thanked the previous owner for them. I wish they were the same size as the Micra then I would have carried them over.

I haven't been on the Coq since I was a kid. All I remember that it was blazing hot in the summer time and blizzard, whiteout in the winter time. For some reason the parents liked traveling on that Highway in the night time. Only if I had video to show people how scary it was. What you see on "Highway Thru Hell" is what it is.

Thanks
    Ive had to use the rumbling strips on the side left side of the road just so i knew where the road was... couldnt see 30 metres in front of the car. Came up to a small fender bender on the right side of the highway and everyone was slaming on their brakes. I was able to safely stop. A travel bus came up behind me sideways honking and flashing its lights. So i got my car right against a concrete barricade on the right side of the road. The bus missed me by less then a foot. Meanwhile the semi and suv that had the fender bender. The driver of the semi was outside the suv talking to the girls inside. The poor guy got plowed by the bus. He was litterally 10 metres from me. Definitely not something I wanna see again. Anyways he end up laying in the middle of the highway in white out condition with cars sliding by him. I honestly thought he was dead, but then I thought... what if hes not, ill watch him get run over again. So i went out and ran up to him. He was screaming in pain, I grabbed him and start pulling him off to the side.
    Then a logging truck came in, hit the back of my car. Then side swipe the suv and dragged it forward. By then my and the guy who just got hit by the bus were in front of the suv. We both got hit by the Suv and dragged under it for a good 10 metres toward buddy's semi trailer. By luck we came to a stop a few feet away from the trailler. I had kinda figured the suv would get pushed down under the trailler and wed be crushed. Anyways, i bounced up grabbed the guy and yanked him over the K-rail. Then called 911. Felt like they took hrs to get to the accident, but considering the conditions they were about 30-40 min which isnt bad. Just felt longuer because i was in tshirt in a snow storm ( took my jacket off and placed it under the guy's head). When the paramedic arrived, they all rushed to the bus that was full of elderly people. They had no idea about buddy and I in the snow, so I had to grab them. He got vip threatment and took the first ambulance back to kamloops, I got the second one out. While waiting at the emergency for the results of my tests. I saw a city bus pulling in. They actually had sent a city bus to collect victims at the crash scene.

Somehow i ended up with bacically scrapes and bruises, had a month off work due to back being sore and chest paint. The guy i pulled off the road had a ruptured stomac, shadered pelvis and broken leg. He was in the hospital for 6-8 months. To top it off two weeks after the accident, he and his wife found out they were expecting a baby.

I enjoyed the attention on tv and news papers... had my ego stroked a fair bit. But when I met him and his whole familly. Seeing how much it affected them. It was really emotially rewarding.

Kinda went off topic there... but that road in the summer is awesome, in the winter it can be.... well a highway to hell. Weather change. In a snap of the fingers. Its not unheard to have snow in the middle of summer upthere

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chef Groleau For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-11-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Groleau View Post
    Ive had to use the rumbling strips on the side left side of the road just so i knew where the road was... couldnt see 30 metres in front of the car. Came up to a small fender bender on the right side of the highway and everyone was slaming on their brakes. I was able to safely stop. A travel bus came up behind me sideways honking and flashing its lights. So i got my car right against a concrete barricade on the right side of the road. The bus missed me by less then a foot. Meanwhile the semi and suv that had the fender bender. The driver of the semi was outside the suv talking to the girls inside. The poor guy got plowed by the bus. He was litterally 10 metres from me. Definitely not something I wanna see again. Anyways he end up laying in the middle of the highway in white out condition with cars sliding by him. I honestly thought he was dead, but then I thought... what if hes not, ill watch him get run over again. So i went out and ran up to him. He was screaming in pain, I grabbed him and start pulling him off to the side.
    Then a logging truck came in, hit the back of my car. Then side swipe the suv and dragged it forward. By then my and the guy who just got hit by the bus were in front of the suv. We both got hit by the Suv and dragged under it for a good 10 metres toward buddy's semi trailer. By luck we came to a stop a few feet away from the trailler. I had kinda figured the suv would get pushed down under the trailler and wed be crushed. Anyways, i bounced up grabbed the guy and yanked him over the K-rail. Then called 911. Felt like they took hrs to get to the accident, but considering the conditions they were about 30-40 min which isnt bad. Just felt longuer because i was in tshirt in a snow storm ( took my jacket off and placed it under the guy's head). When the paramedic arrived, they all rushed to the bus that was full of elderly people. They had no idea about buddy and I in the snow, so I had to grab them. He got vip threatment and took the first ambulance back to kamloops, I got the second one out. While waiting at the emergency for the results of my tests. I saw a city bus pulling in. They actually had sent a city bus to collect victims at the crash scene.

Somehow i ended up with bacically scrapes and bruises, had a month off work due to back being sore and chest paint. The guy i pulled off the road had a ruptured stomac, shadered pelvis and broken leg. He was in the hospital for 6-8 months. To top it off two weeks after the accident, he and his wife found out they were expecting a baby.

I enjoyed the attention on tv and news papers... had my ego stroked a fair bit. But when I met him and his whole familly. Seeing how much it affected them. It was really emotially rewarding.

Kinda went off topic there... but that road in the summer is awesome, in the winter it can be.... well a highway to hell. Weather change. In a snap of the fingers. Its not unheard to have snow in the middle of summer upthere
    That's so crazy. I am glad in the 10 + years that I have been going over the Rockies into the Southern Interior I have never experienced anything like that. Yeah! There has been broken down vehicles and that's pretty much it. I always felt safer running a dedicated winter tire. Yeah! Some people will say, "I've been running all-seasons for 30 years and never had a problem." I feel more in control with winter tires and so for every car that I have ever had, had always had them. That man is very lucky and it's awesome that you were there. You put your life in danger to save someone else which is beyond amazing.

I have a fire extinguisher and full first aid kit in the back of my Micra. People laugh because I have had them in most of my vehicles. I use to have those huge emergency decals on my vehicles before my Micra. I do it because it's something that is there for unexpected things. I'm also passionate about Health & Safety. Have I ever had to use them? Nope. It's people like you and what you did to save someone else's life makes me reinforce why I have what I have in my vehicle. As well as having first aid and knowing how to use a fire extinguisher.

Thanks
    Amazing story, Chef.

I'm also a winter tire person, even though I only drive a few 1000 kms each winter.

Bonus of the Nokian R winter tires: low rolling resistance, so good fuel economy. I know a guy who installed a set on a CRX for a fuel economy competition ... in mid summer! (He won.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    walmart can be quite good for economical snow tires, especially in the off season
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    My 89 CRX

Name:  th_DSC00219.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  5.8 KB

Thanks
    LOL
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Studded Generals. Road going north from Campbell River has the elevation changes that give you black ice for several hundred yards sandwiched between a dry road section and snow. Noisy as the hammers of hell but the cat's meow for some conditions.

All seasons, well, there ought to be a law.