Thread: Accidentally overfilled brake fluid resevoir

Thanks

Cool Accidentally overfilled brake fluid resevoir

So dumb old me couldn't see the brake fluid level in my car, got scared that I was running around on less that MIN brake and clutch fluid.

When I go to top up a little, I learn that brake fluid is clear, and now I have too much of it. I think there is a hole in the screen to fit a hose through for a siphon but I am not sure. Anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    So dumb old me couldn't see the brake fluid level in my car, got scared that I was running around on less that MIN brake and clutch fluid.

When I go to top up a little, I learn that brake fluid is clear, and now I have too much of it. I think there is a hole in the screen to fit a hose through for a siphon but I am not sure. Anybody have any advice for me?
    Update: I went to CT and grabbed a set of needle nose pliers and a marinade syringe. I'm going to try and gently coax the filter out, as I think with some care and a flathead screwdriver I could get it out of the neck and use the syringe to siphon off some fluid. There is no hole in the filter because that just doesn't make for an effective filter now does it. Will update again when I actually do the work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ontario_micra For This Useful Post:

Pete (06-23-2018)

Thanks
    you can stick your finger into the blue part and it will come out, tried it last nite

i have used an eye dropper to remove fluid......SLOW...but works, (not on the nissan)

with a thin tube, you should be able to siphon off fluid..you should be able to get it out...syringe maybe?
    just dont drop whatever u use into the reservoir!!!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    General update:

Haven't drawn the fluid off yet, after dragging my feet trying to cobble something together out of a marinade syringe and tubing, I just went to NAPA and grabbed a big skookum "suction gun". It's a big metal syringe with a think plastic tubing that is used to draw fluids like this. Will update once I actually get around to this.

Thanks
    bleed the brakes....your probably due
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Car only just broke 8,000KM and has an oil change booked this weekend for the service interval. Manual says the fluid can be changed at 32,000 which is quite a time away.

I don't know how to bleed brakes, nor have the tools or space to do that. With this suction gun I can just stick it in the reservoir and pull out the extra fluid back down to the MAX line. Is this going to cause any issues?

Thanks
    no...the blue thing is easily removed by your finger...stick finger into reservoir, blue thing gets jammed on finger..dont get a bunch of dirt and crap in the reservoir. it should be fine what u want to do.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    Update: Sunny day yesterday, got the hood open while at a friends place just doing "car stuff" and managed to siphon off the fluid. Sitting at MAX now. Was pretty easy.

Anyone else dumb enough to do this, go get a suction gun from the parts store. Super useful tool.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ontario_micra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-17-2018)