Thread: Steering Wheel Control cleaning/ replacement (without removing steering wheel)

Thanks

Post Steering Wheel Control cleaning/ replacement (without removing steering wheel)

!! THIS POST IS INCOMPLETE AND IS MISSING VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION !!
    !! USING THIS INFORMATION IN IT'S CURRENT STATE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, OR AT THE VERY LEAST SERIOUS INJURY!!

FOR STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS REPLACEMENT, BOTH CONTROLS MUST BE REPLACED. BOTH SIDES ARE CONNECTED TO A SINGLE PLUG.

I am only re-lubricating my existing modules.

Could I have ignored the service manuals suggestion of not reusing the lock nut? Sure, but with a full warranty on this baby I would have replaced the nut just to avoid any future problems with warranty work.

Of course I had gotten home and removed the air bag by the time I read this part of the manual.

As you can see in the diagrams, the Steering wheel mounted audio controls (and the Cruise Control Controls) have a single screw attaching them, and this screw is hidden behind the Steering Wheel Rear Finisher.

The rear finisher is held to the steering wheel with pawls, and thus, "pops" off the back of the steering wheel.

I could not get the rear finisher far enough away from the steering wheel to get a screw driver in there.

Removing the steering column finishers does not give you enough room either.

I had to turn the Steering Wheel Rear Finisher in place to expose the screws for the steering wheel controls.

the top most part of the rear finisher is the narrowest, meaning you must turn the rear finisher so that the top is behind the controls you wish to remove/replace.

YOU WILL BE REMOVING THE AIR BAG. USE CAUTION. FOLLOW THE PROCEEDURES PROPERLY OR THE AIR BAG WILL EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE. BREAKING THINGS

Then remove the interior fuse box panel
    [IMAGE]

Then remove these 10MM bolts by the hood/fuel cap release cables
    Name:  Footwell Finisher.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  9.3 KB

Then loosen the driver side foot well finisher. The finisher is held on with pawls, ACCEPT FOR TOHSE TWO BOLTS

I started from the right side and moved to the left. but it doesn't matter.
    [IMAGE]

Once the foot well finisher is out of the way
    Name:  Footwell Finisher loosened.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  6.8 KB

Remove these screws, that hold the Steering Column Finishers in place.
    To do so, turn the steering wheel until the screw is exposed.
    [IMAGE_IMAGE]

The top Steering column finisher is held to the bottom by two pawls, closer to the instrument cluster, and hook on either side, where the screw secures them to the column
    [IMAGE]

I don't believe the bottom finisher had pawls, it is just clipped around the steering shaft, AND you just have to make sure to stretch it over the ignition.
    Name:  Bottom Finisher.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  10.1 KB

Once you have the Steering Column Finishers removed.
    Release the Steering Wheel Rear Finisher from the steering wheel.

The pawls are located on the left and right sides, behind the steering wheel controls.
    [IMAGE]

with the Rear Finisher released, stretch it over the areas in the picture, highlighted with green circles, while rotating it in place.
    Name:  Rear finisher rotate.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  9.0 KB

It helped me to move the rear finisher away from the steering wheel, for extra wiggle room.

once you have the rear finisher rotated to expose the screw, you can remove it
    [IMAGE]

with the screw removed, the control module is held in place with pawls, and can be pulled free.

Last edited by HOLLiiWOOD; 07-20-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Finishing Post (more edits to come)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.4 mpg (Imp) ... 13.6 km/L ... 31.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Seems like a lot of extra work... Takes less then 5 min to remove the steering wheel

Thanks
    After the 3rd big, caps word I stopped reading.