Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes (Micra / Versa)

Thanks
    You can use a drop of acetone to soft the modeling material and stick it again to fix that crack.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manuel ugalde For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (08-11-2017),MetroMPG (08-11-2017)

Thanks
    Tim's away today, but I know he'll be glad to see the beta testing feedback this weekend. Thanks for the pics, spacewolf.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The screws are directly into the plastic in this model Daox made me. Even with the current flaws it did work well but it needs some adjustments to hold up over time. I'm trying to get a 3D model made and doing up a part/price list to make a solid CAI.

Here's the ghetto mock up I did during my lunch break on Monday with zip ties I had on hand and chopping off an extra chunk of the fiber glass piece I made before any of the other parts had arrived:

Here are the adjustments and pieces to be made:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Tim's away today, but I know he'll be glad to see the beta testing feedback this weekend. Thanks for the pics, spacewolf.
    No problem! I'm waiting to hear back from him to see if he'd like to help me with the other models and if we can put together an all-in-one kit for others on the forum for cost. Of course I'm going to need to finish the design and test it thoroughly first.

Thanks
    Here's how I'm going to run it for the time being while sorting out the other pieces:

Some black clamps would be nice and would go a long way to making it look more finished.

Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    Here's how I'm going to run it for the time being while sorting out the other pieces:

Some black clamps would be nice and would go a long way to making it look more finished.

you do NOT want a short line on the breather.
    stock there is a oil -air separator .
    this restrictive orifice allows air to pass by but oil to flow back.

with such a short line the vacuum will suck oil into the intake

if you look at your warranty the oil air separter is a "emission control"

potentially you could suck up a burn away a lot of oil ruining your cat. leaving gunk in your cylinders and valves potentially running yourt bottom end dry and creating problems and headaches for yourself.

a alternative is to use a remote mount catch can or just relocate your current separater using longer rubber tubes.

I think its 9.99 of 6 ft at autozone/parts source

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-14-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    you do NOT want a short line on the breather.
    stock there is a oil -air separator .
    this restrictive orifice allows air to pass by but oil to flow back.

with such a short line the vacuum will suck oil into the intake

if you look at your warranty the oil air separter is a "emission control"

potentially you could suck up a burn away a lot of oil ruining your cat. leaving gunk in your cylinders and valves potentially running yourt bottom end dry and creating problems and headaches for yourself.

a alternative is to use a remote mount catch can or just relocate your current separater using longer rubber tubes.

I think its 9.99 of 6 ft at autozone/parts source
    I was wondering about that myself and had made a comment that other users if interested would probably leave the stock flex tube there and emissions components/crank case breather.

Plenty of manufactured intake systems run just a breather tube off of the crankcase vent to the intake but they're usually much longer and are off of a PCV valve. I often see people running just a breather filter which I wasn't comfortable with either. I guess I had just assumed that we had a PCV valve there which doesn't appear to be the case.

On any other engine I've modded there was only the need for a catch can when boosting over 10 psi.

I'm going to take a look at either adding an inline aftermarket filter, incorporating the stock box or order a nice catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    I was wondering about that myself and had made a comment that other users if interested would probably leave the stock flex tube there and emissions components/crank case breather.

Plenty of manufactured intake systems run just a breather tube off of the crankcase vent to the intake but they're usually much longer and are off of a PCV valve. I often see people running just a breather filter which I wasn't comfortable with either. I guess I had just assumed that we had a PCV valve there which doesn't appear to be the case.

On any other engine I've modded there was only the need for a catch can when boosting over 10 psi.

I'm going to take a look at either adding an inline aftermarket filter, incorporating the stock box or order a nice catch can.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Skyli...-/122376117875

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    LOL that is really nice but I was thinking more like this: https://www.mishimoto.com/aluminum-o...can-small.html

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Woohoo, glad to see everything fit up great and that its working with no CEL. Thanks for testing Spacewolf!

As for the splitting issue, that should be an easy fix. In order to keep the print time down, I decreased the density of the part. This speeds up printing, but reduces part strength. I will simply increase the part density and give that a try. I would rather not use metal inserts as more handling time will increase the part cost. The other MAF housing I make has never had an issue with splitting and does not use inserts. If worst comes to worst of course I can do it. It will just increase the cost.

I will print up another one and send it off to you to try out.