Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Edmonton (prospective micra buyer)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Talking Hello from Edmonton (prospective micra buyer)

Hello All!

I've been following the forum for a while since becoming interested in the Micra last year. We finally test drove the 2017 Nissan manual option yesterday, and then the Mitsubishi mirage as well. Since we want a bare bones manual car for strictly commuting around the city, we will end up going with the more wallet friendly base model Micra with no added options.

I have an opinion question, since 2018 vehicles in Canada will require backup cameras (I realize we will hardly use it, but still it's an extra that may be nice to have and I assume may mean a more modern infotainment system), do you think it's better to hold off on buying a Micra until the 2018s come out and deciding then. We're hoping for similar pricing as the current year models.

Also, do I have any negotiation room with these? I realize these are budget cars, but did any other buyers have any luck with getting anything throw in (some accessories, or maybe a set of winter tires), or having them come down on the price at all?

-A
    Last edited by velame; 06-26-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add in a question

Thanks
    Hi, velame - welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by velame View Post
    I have an opinion question, since 2018 vehicles in Canada will require backup cameras (I realize we will hardly use it, but still it's an extra that may be nice to have and I assume may mean a more modern infotainment system), do you think it's better to hold off on buying a Micra until the 2018s come out and deciding then. We're hoping for similar pricing as the current year models.
    My bet is you will pay slightly more for the 2018 and get slightly less. Nissan has been taking features out of the base Micra (and the higher trims). EG: the block heater is no longer standard equipment; the parcel shelf is now a dealer accessory instead of standard on the SV/SR.

My opinion: if you want a backup camera, buy the 2017 and add one from the aftermarket.You can get a bigger & higher quality aftermarket screen, too.

Also, do I have any negotiation room with these?
    Probably not at this time of year. I saw some discounts when the next year's models came out, but that was about it. Typically early in the new year they're more desperate to get rid of "last year's" models.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    best bet, paying cash. Some, but not all dealers will give you a discount. Also make sure you do not get charged for the AC tax... since the base model doesnt have it. 2/3 nissan dealer i visited insisted they couldnt remove it.... the third one realised it made no sence.
    In all I paid 11300 after all tax and fees for a brand new 2017 back in January

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chef Groleau For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-29-2017),Pete (07-11-2017)

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hello All!

I've been following the forum for a while since becoming interested in the Micra last year. We finally test drove the 2017 Nissan manual option yesterday, and then the Mitsubishi mirage as well. Since we want a bare bones manual car for strictly commuting around the city, we will end up going with the more wallet friendly base model Micra with no added options.

Also, do I have any negotiation room with these? I realize these are budget cars, but did any other buyers have any luck with getting anything throw in (some accessories, or maybe a set of winter tires), or having them come down on the price at all?

-A
    Hi there, great to see another local Edmontonian on the forum! My wife and I had similar goals before we purchased our current 2015 Micra; we finally decided on a bare bones model with auto trans, cruise, and air conditioning package with remote starter and that's pretty much it. Over the past 2 years our Little Guy has turned out to be quite the comfortable & capable long distance highway cruiser; see some of our posts (some under Micra Photography) for our reviews on the Micra...
    Nice!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micra In The Mountains View Post
    Hi there, great to see another local Edmontonian on the forum! My wife and I had similar goals before we purchased our current 2015 Micra; we finally decided on a bare bones model with auto trans, cruise, and air conditioning package with remote starter and that's pretty much it. Over the past 2 years our Little Guy has turned out to be quite the comfortable & capable long distance highway cruiser; see some of our posts (some under Micra Photography) for our reviews on the Micra...
    Hi! I really enjoyed your travel micra posts, we travel all the time to invermere so it was cool to see it in the mountains there.

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi! I really enjoyed your travel micra posts, we travel all the time to invermere so it was cool to see it in the mountains there.
    Thanks, the Kootenays and the Crowsnest are some of our favorites as well; we try to head to Invermere, Radium & Kimberly a few times a year just to get away for a while...
    Nice!

Thanks
    velame - any update?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    velame - any update?
    Not yet, I have been scouring the internet on an almost daily basis for any news on the 2018 Canadian micra, I really wanna know the starting price. If it's higher, we will go with a 2017 model, but if they somehow keep it at the same we will end up with a 2018.

It's now just a waiting game I guess. I have a friend of a friend who is a finance manager at one of the Nissan dealerships here, so I have just asked my friend to ask her if they have any details on the starting price of the 2018s. Hoping she can give me some info.

Thanks
    Sounds like a plan. I wouldn't expect to see any (public) info on the 2018 for many months.

Thanks
    makes sense for sure, the person my friend asked said since the 2017s just came out not too long ago, that she heard that the info will be available until September, for now I don't think I mind waiting until then since my 08 sentra is still in good shape.