Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Edmonton (prospective micra buyer)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velame View Post
    Well, we didn't wait until September lol. We bought the base model yesterday, a red, 2017 Micra S (no added options). We got an awesome deal with the manufacture's rebate of $2000 on any 2017 Micras financed through NCF, and I was able to stack a $500 loyalty rebate (I own the 08 sentra we previously financed through NCF) on top of that! They didn't throw anything extra in for us, which was fine and what I expected due to all the $$$ we saved.

We walked away with the total price being 9657.10, (they had the car posted on their website for 11,588). I feel really good about the car buying experience we had at the west end Nissan dealership we went to. We pick it up tomorrow evening!

(To get the full $2000 rebate from Nissan, we have to keep the loan with NCF for the 6 month minimum, and then we will be financing through the bank I work for at a good staff rate, and pay them out. It was either get $500 less of a rebate if we financed on our own, but it's worth it to us to pay them the higher interest rate of 5.74 for the 6 months and then pay the loan out.)
    That's awesome. Congrats. You know we are waiting for pictures right?

Thanks
    Will post them tonight, or tomorrow since we pick it up after work tonight

Thanks
    We walked away with the total price being 9657.10
    Wow! Congrats!

(To get the full $2000 rebate from Nissan, we have to keep the loan with NCF for the 6 month minimum, and then we will be financing through the bank I work for at a good staff rate, and pay them out.
    That's great. I've heard of this a few times, where it makes sense to finance with the dealer/manufacturer to get the rebate (if the math works out). You can pay it off later with a better loan rate, or even in cash.

Are you going to add a backup camera to it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow! Congrats!

That's great. I've heard of this a few times, where it makes sense to finance with the dealer/manufacturer to get the rebate (if the math works out). You can pay it off later with a better loan rate, or even in cash.

Are you going to add a backup camera to it?
    Thank you so much, after a poor buying experience with my '08 at another dealership, I knew I had to do better the next time I bought a car so I am pretty impressed with myself for doing my research on the rebates and not accepting the first couple #s they came back at us with.

We won't be adding the backup camera after realizing it would be a waste for us. We thought originally we'd wait for the 2018 with the mandatory backup cameras, but then we felt we wouldn't get as good of a deal on the brand new 2018s. We also know that we don't utilize the backup camera in a vehicle much at all when we had driven one before (we had borrowed a family member's SUV with one many times to haul stuff around the city and didn't ever feel the need to use it).

Thanks
    I find the back up cameras are a waste for such a small car. I owned, at one time, a 1981, 4 door Malibu. That had no back up camera. If you can drive that and not need a camera then a Micra doesn't need one.

Thanks
    I think the only thing we will end up adding to the car is a Thule roof rack, I noticed the dealership sells it, I am going to ask the guy to see if they can get us a good price if they're willing to give us a discount. We would install it ourselves.

Thanks
    Just made my garage entry post

Thanks
    We won't be adding the backup camera after realizing it would be a waste for us. We thought originally we'd wait for the 2018 with the mandatory backup cameras, but then we felt we wouldn't get as good of a deal on the brand new 2018s. We also know that we don't utilize the backup camera in a vehicle much at all when we had driven one before (we had borrowed a family member's SUV with one many times to haul stuff around the city and didn't ever feel the need to use it).
    The backup camera really isn't necessary on a) such a small car and b) a hatchback since the car pretty much ends where the hatch is, unlike a sedan with a trunk. So reverse parking for instance is a cinch. I would though have liked to get the bigger infotainment screen but didn't make sense to spec up to an SR with all the other stuff I didn't want/need.

Congrats on your purchase! I knew I wanted a roof rack as well but didn't want to pony up the $500 or so that the dealership wants for it. Ended up ordering another brand off eBay out of Australia that fits our cars perfectly.
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    One instance where it's useful on a car of any size is "precision" maneuvers, where you're literally getting within centimeters of some other car or obstacle. I sometimes back into extremely tight spaces/garage entries while also turning, and that's one time I've appreciated a camera even on a small hatchback.

That said, I don't have one on any of my own cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi! I really enjoyed your travel micra posts, we travel all the time to invermere so it was cool to see it in the mountains there.
    Thanks, the Kootenays and the Crowsnest are some of our favorites as well; we try to head to Invermere, Radium & Kimberly a few times a year just to get away for a while...

Nice!