Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After Market LED Tail Lights Issue

Thanks
    I replaced my 4 turn signals with amber LEDs, my parking/stop lights with red LEDs, brake light with a red LED also, and my front parking lights with white LEDs.

I bought them locally with a supplier I knew to have quality products, it's been over a year, and no issues on my part have been found. I have the hyperflashing turn lights "issue", but it never bothered me, as it kinda makes them more attention catching, so I never thought about adding those resistors. I even ran LED main headlight bulbs for a a year, until one of them bite the dust, granted, it was bought elsewhere.

What happened to L1ghtninchris was a disaster, but apparently there was a short involved. You should have theoretical and practical knowledge of whatever system you'd like to mess with, because stuff you might dismiss as not important could have serious repercussions.

Bulb replacement (filament to LED) shouldn't cause any issues, assuming you are using quality LEDs, but I have no experience on how an entirely new light housing, with their own integrated LED modules might go. I'd have to get my hand on it and start poking with a multimeter n stuff.

They look mighty cool IMO, specially the slightly smoked version. Definitely on my once-I-get-enough-disposable-income list.

As with everything you read online, YMMV.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by not_a_bot View Post
    I replaced my 4 turn signals with amber LEDs, my parking/stop lights with red LEDs, brake light with a red LED also, and my front parking lights with white LEDs.

I bought them locally with a supplier I knew to have quality products, it's been over a year, and no issues on my part have been found. I have the hyperflashing turn lights "issue", but it never bothered me, as it kinda makes them more attention catching, so I never thought about adding those resistors. I even ran LED main headlight bulbs for a a year, until one of them bite the dust, granted, it was bought elsewhere.

What happened to L1ghtninchris was a disaster, but apparently there was a short involved. You should have theoretical and practical knowledge of whatever system you'd like to mess with, because stuff you might dismiss as not important could have serious repercussions.

Bulb replacement (filament to LED) shouldn't cause any issues, assuming you are using quality LEDs, but I have no experience on how an entirely new light housing, with their own integrated LED modules might go. I'd have to get my hand on it and start poking with a multimeter n stuff.

They look mighty cool IMO, specially the slightly smoked version. Definitely on my once-I-get-enough-disposable-income list.

As with everything you read online, YMMV.
    See this is it. I originally replaced all my lights with LED's.

I put them in headlights, turn signal, fog, markers, stop light, reverse, plate and inside car.

I had no issues whatsoever except for the turn signals which were "hyper" flashing. I had it white. Honestly I didnt mind it too much as it was unique and what you said more attention catching.

Only reason I thought of adding resistors is because a fellow coworker (licenced auto tech) said that adding resistors in would stop the hyper flashing as he has done in his Bonneville. The Micra is a far newer car then that one but i ordered the resistors he suggested and told me he would put them in for me. Putting them in the front turn signals is obv easy since only those wires are going to the front turn signals. The thing with the rear is that all the wires go to one connector. He used a probe and tried to figure out which wire was brake turn signal etc. Turned out it still didnt stop hyper flashing and in turn car was in limp mode even after taking out resistors.

The problem nissan had was they had no idea what to start with and basically put different modules in trying to fix the problem. Maybe is BCM was the issue the whole time since brake wires were tappered with. I dont know and no longer care at this point as car is gone.

Thanks
    The simple fix would be to install a flasher relay for LED bulbs. That would be the main issue here. Do not add resistors to the wiring...but swap out the flasher unit for a LED ready version and you should be fine. I cannot see how LED bulbs created so much issue.

Thanks
    ^^ flasher relay / canbus style load balancer required. Diodes don't offer 'resistance', so a minute change in voltage (which happens constantly in a car) causes huge current swings, and resistors don't change voltage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...