Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Cold Air Intake

Thanks

Question Custom Cold Air Intake

Anyone try making a custom CAI for our Micra? So far the Injen for the Note and the MIA one look like pretty half assed CAIs. Basically a glorified SRI.

I was hoping to collaborate with anyone who has started to do some RnD on the issue. I'll be fabbing something up before the summer is out. Reasonably easy to make functional but pretty.. not so sure about that one lol.

Thanks
    Bridgenorth actually made his own. Unfortunately, he sold his Micra this spring so he's not around anymore.

The trick is (I believe) you need a custom MAF housing. Bridgenorth made his own: he bought an extra part where the OEM MAF is located and cut it out, epoxied it into the new part & bolted on some generic eBay tubing & filter.

Tim (Daox) does design work and 3D printing, and has made custom MAF sensor housings for other cars. If someone wants to work with him, he'd make up a design that could be made to order for a good price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Tim (Daox) does design work and 3D printing, and has made custom MAF sensor housings for other cars. If someone wants to work with him, he'd make up a design that could be made to order for a good price.
    I'd be interested in chipping in on that if anyone else is. The only universal MAF mounting option I've found is pretty damn expensive for no guaranteed fitment (airaid - roughly $120 for the adapter and housing combined).

I might order the 3" airaid tubing kit (with or without the MAF mount/tube) and then measure and order a K&N filter that will best fit with the final setup. I'll have to see how I can get the tubing out through the front of our car and what would be the optimal filter setup based on that placement.

Although a bit on the pricey side I was thinking of having something like this coming from the bottom right side of the bumper out into the centre mesh on that side (but I haven't taken the front end apart yet):
    https://www.knfilters.ca/search/prod...x?prod=RX-2820

Or a similar sized oval filter.

The other option is to turn the driver side fog light into a CAI V stack with a chamber filter somewhere along the line but I'd like to install fog lights on my SV.

Thanks
    So I just "prototyped" a ghetto stock airbox mod today. Just used some 2.5" shop vac components ($30 at CTire if you dont have it lying around).

The goal was to use the upper grill opening to funnel air directly into the airbox. From left to right:

There is a removable air dam that is designed to force air down onto the rad. After removing the top 4 bumper clips and the 4 clips attached to the air dam and surrounding pieces it can be hauled up through the top quite easily.

Below is the air dam I cut to flow up to the air box. I ended up cutting a wider hole than what is shown below after sizing it up on the car:

Hole in the air dam after it is reinstalled:

View from the outside, you can see the top edge of the vac nozzle:

Here is the addition to the stock airbox after quickly cutting off the extra junk on it. This is by no means a finished product...

Left to do:
    1) Sand the exterior cuts completely smooth
    2) Dremel smooth the inside of the air box
    3) Put a higher quality filter in it (I don't think a cone filter mod will work in our tiny airbox)
    4) Replace the ridged rubber flex pipe at the throttle body with smooth 2.5" tubing
    5) Redo the piping off the front of the air box with proper angles/measurements and no electrical tape

If I could find the right type of oval tubing that forms back to 2.5" piping it would be possible to put the intake tube straight to the hole inside the bumper but as it stands the hood would get stuck on it.

After hauling apart the front end you really only have 2-3 options:
    1) Use the top of the bumper like I did
    2) Use the stock location and dont run a fog there (though you could get really fancy and try to make an intake
    chamber around the fog light)
    3) Try and route a bunch of tubing over behind the fog light, down and back into the bottom of the front bumper

The problem with the other options is unless you are replacing the entire intake you wont see much benefit over the mod I did.

The available universal tubing kits designed for intakes are 3" or more in diameter and the OUTER diameter of the throttle body appears to be 64mm making the inner diameter most likely 60mm (can anyone confirm this?). Not to mention, 3" piping in that bay would be a PITA to route into the stock location, let alone into the bottom of the bumper.

You could go with a cheap intercooler piping kit at 2.5" diameter which I was also considering but then you have to route and cut a bunch of metal and still purchase an expensive universal MAF mount or get one made custom.

I think overall once I finish up a few things with this mod I'll be pleased with it. At least until I get a catback lol.
    I took it for a test drive and throttle response was notably better in the mid range and it sounded a little more throatier but not too much.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-05-2017),MrMicra2015 (10-12-2017),Pete (07-07-2017)

Thanks
    Went back to the drawing board..

I've ordered an inline filter/housing and am going to make a custom inlet to go over the radiator and into the front bumper out of fiberglass. Here's the rough details, I've also got all the measurements to work with for the custom inlet but I need to pick up foam to shape out the mold and see just how accurate the measurements I took are with the filter/piping when it arrives.

I got the inspiration from this thread:
    http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278436

It'll be a similar concept going over the rad but with an inline filter and obviously a LOT smaller lol.

Thanks
    The inline filter arrived in the mail today!

Almost done with the foam mold now. Going to start the bondo and fibreglass process this weekend.

I also updated the plans slightly.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (10-12-2017),Pete (07-07-2017),ptbo micra (06-24-2017)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looking nice. So that plumbing is all just ahead of the factory airbox? What did you do about the MAF housing? I'm quite willing to work with someone to design a MAF housing for the Micra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Looking nice. So that plumbing is all just ahead of the factory airbox? What did you do about the MAF housing? I'm quite willing to work with someone to design a MAF housing for the Micra.
    I will be replacing the entire system from the throttle body. The second diagram is the most accurate example of what it will look like.

Everything I'm going to be installing behind the inline filter are just random off the shelf pieces. I was hunting for a long time for a solution for the MAF. Everything is so expensive!

I just sucked it up and ordered a MAF mount and attached tubing (2.48" OD) from China and will have to wait a few weeks til it gets here. Silicone couplers aren't cheap either so it will at least give me time to source out a few of those for a reasonable price.

Here is the piece I ordered: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-48-Inch-OD-...19.m1438.l2650

Here are the other options I was considering:
    1. Flange adapter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261372030660
    2. Adapter with tubing: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-OD-Slot-S...0AAOSwMmBV5Hrs

Here are the pieces I have so far:

I know it's super ugly but it should flow well when the setup is complete. It was my first time ever working with fiberglass/resin and in an effort to cut costs I only used the stronger but messier stage 2 glass cloth. I might slap some more coats of bondo and paint on the top visible portion to "purdy it up". If I already had any fiberglass tools/material on hand it would have been much cheaper and I probably would have staged two different layers of cloth.

Luckily even with stage 2 glass cloth it turned out quite smooth inside where it was against the wax/tape & mold.

The last few things to order are:
    1.) 3.25" to 3" reducer
    2.) 3" to 2.5" 90 degree reducer
    3.) 2.5" to 2.5" coupler
    4.) Vac hose and adapter

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Here is the MAF housing I make for another car. The price I sell them for is $39 CAD shipped. I can easily adapt the design to suit the Micra. I just need the OEM housing so I can get all the dimensions right. If anyone is interested, just PM me and we can figure it out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Here is the MAF housing I make for another car. The price I sell them for is $39 CAD shipped. I can easily adapt the design to suit the Micra. I just need the OEM housing so I can get all the dimensions right. If anyone is interested, just PM me and we can figure it out.
    I've got everything ordered to piece my makeshift CAI together including a MAF housing/tube. I'd be willing to donate my OEM housing to RnD purposes though once I complete my intake.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-06-2017)