Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Cold Air Intake

Thanks

UPDATE

Been running my current setup for about 1800kms and have been loving it. Still need the new inlet but I haven't had the time or energy to sink into designing it right now.

Just got and mocked up fitment of a proper catch can for it:

I'll have to unscrew the mount and haul it up to drain it but it fits nicely in there and that's about the only place it can fit within a reasonable distance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the update, spacewolf.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Here is it routed.

Name:  IMG_20171010_180340.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  87.9 KB

After putting close to 2000kms on the old short tube setup with no filter, I'm glad to say the intake was bone dry, no oil. I really can't see there being a need for a full catch can setup on this motor with such low compression but it definitely isn't going to hurt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    did you use the shiny MAF sensor housing you bought from china?.....it doesnt look as shiny in the picture above ????
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    did you use the shiny MAF sensor housing you bought from china?.....it doesnt look as shiny in the picture above ????
    I used the one Daox 3D printed me. The one I paid 50$ for from China is in a box somewhere. The sensor fits it but it was pretty squished up from 2 months at sea and I never bothered to try installing it..

Aside from some fitment issues on the inlet I made out of fiberglass (before all the other parts got here derp) I'm very content with how things are turning out. I still need to finish a 3D model of an updated inlet that goes across the radiator mount, get it printed with some industrial grade material and test it.

Then I'll just post up the file for people to print however they like along with the exact measurements, materials used and average cost of parts. I'm at 3000kms and counting since I put the first iteration of the intake on and it has been running like a champ since day 1.

Thanks
    So I was looking at short ram air intakes. Since I'm under warranty and I thought it was for now expensive. I made my own. I mean I'll probably invest in the near future but let's be honest you pay 200$ for a bent aluminium pipe.
    So I went to the hardware store bought an aluminum vent connected it to the stock air box and ran it straight through the front. It's kinda like a crappy ram air. It'll do for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nao View Post
    So I was looking at short ram air intakes. Since I'm under warranty and I thought it was for now expensive. I made my own. I mean I'll probably invest in the near future but let's be honest you pay 200$ for a bent aluminium pipe.
    So I went to the hardware store bought an aluminum vent connected it to the stock air box and ran it straight through the front. It's kinda like a crappy ram air. It'll do for now.
    I had done a similar thing off of the stock air box at first, partly for RnD and partly because some of the plastic snapped on the stock intake while disassembling it lol..

I was going to just create a nicer inlet off of the stock airbox and route it out through the top of the bumper but the work involved for minimal flow gains just didn't make sense. The limiting factor in that setup would ultimately be the poor flow characteristics of the heater venting (or similar), the flex pipe off of the throttle body and the tiny airbox you can't do any stock airbox mods with.

I was using heater vent from the airbox into the bumper:

Thanks
    I know they made the intake kinda flimsy , mine isn't in perfect shape either after taking it off.

I understand what you mean about the minimal gains, I saw I wasn't the only one trying to find a quick way to do it and it kinda became personal. I had to flatten the round shape into an elliptical shape so that the hood would at least close. I had a 2.5 inch PVC fitting plugged in the air box at first but didn't like the heat I was getting from the engine specially in summer. My dealership is really touchy and I need something easily removable to put back stock intake every oil change.Its not perfect but it is what it is for now. I keep in mind that even if there's wave patterns in the diy thing I did I am still restrained with everything from the airbox to the throttle body but I believe my diy "ram air"airflow is greater and more efficient than the stock one at least. In third gear I used to have a noticable loss of power compared to second. Now it's like it has a bit more go. Maybe I'm retarded also, who knows lol.Name:  IMG_20171015_150647176.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  101.4 KB

Thanks
    @nao

Could be a shot just to get the air box tube from ntec, can email them at "ntecpower at ybb.ne.jp"
    I think the fibre glass one was 400 or something insane, but plastic one was cheap at like 50bucks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nephy View Post
    @nao

Could be a shot just to get the air box tube from ntec, can email them at "ntecpower at ybb.ne.jp"
    I think the fibre glass one was 400 or something insane, but plastic one was cheap at like 50bucks.
    You'd need their "extra box" too and you'd still be stuck with the stock components before it. They also show their extra box filter which may not be the same size/profile as the stock filter.

Name:  06617c87de.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  48.6 KB