Thread: New member - Micra SV manual (does the shift quality improve?)

Thanks

New member - Micra SV manual (does the shift quality improve?)

Long time tire kicker, signed up for the forum a while back. I was waiting to get a permanent job offer before purchasing a Micra SV 5MT. I test drove it yesterday and just got approved for financing today.

I was surprised in ways and let down in others. The power delivery and acceleration was good, suspension firm (which I like) and the seats are actually very supportive for my frame (6' 175lbs) compared to how bland they look.

I had been considering importing a little kei car but the maintenance is not something I wanted to worry about. Driving the Micra also made me realize it was the smallest size I'd actually want to own. The negatives would be the balky clutch and shifter but maybe it is just because I've never driven a brand new manual transmission? Either way I was not very impressed with it and I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in. Worst case scenario it's under warranty?

For comparison, I currently have a 93 Golf 5MT and 05 RSX 5MT. VW has a smooth but lifeless shifter/gearbox while the Honda has an extremely precise one. The Micra is right in the middle but worse than both. It's honestly the only disappointment I have with the vehicle. Everything else is as expected or better.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and it will be replacing my 93 Golf as a daily driver around town. Someone please tell me it just needs a good breaking in and I wont have buyers remorse!

Last edited by spacewolf; 06-08-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: formatting

Thanks
    Welcome, spacewolf!

Yukon, eh? What town?

I've driven a few manual Micras and didn't notice anything disappointing about the clutch or shift quality... smooth shift action and an easy, light clutch. Well calibrated throttle makes it easy to drive smoothly in city traffic (throttle tip in & release).

Though it's all relative to what you're used to, I suppose. Recent manuals in my fleet: '98 Pontiac Firefly, '90 Miata, '04 Echo, '06 Civic.

The only thing that bugged me about the Micra manaul is the gearing is too short for my liking.

I had been considering importing a little kei car
    I hear you - there are sooo many cool options in that category. I've been tempted a few times, but have managed to resist. I actually just drove a my first Kei car this winter -- my buddy's Kei truck:

Name:  IMG_0764.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  56.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Whitehorse! With the other 90% of the population haha.

Hmm.. that's odd. To me, I initially found it very balky. I could feel resistance on all sides of the shifter in the gearbox if you know what I mean. There was also some dead space in the clutch and upon research I read that it is hydraulic (i.e. not easily adjustable)?

Either way, everything else is what I want in the car and I'm picking it up today. If it's a problem with my model I'll get it sorted under warranty. There is only the one manual transmission on the lot so I can't compare it with another one.

The short gearing is what I noticed and loved most about driving it. 1-3 is very quick to get up through. I was doing 90 in a 70 zone with the Nissan sales rep in the passenger seat before I even noticed! My project car is a 5MT Honda with a 4.3 FD that I'm switching to a 6MT 4.7FD. The shorter gearing the better! Lol. We've got a Ridgeline for highway trips, camping etc so the Micra won't see many roads with a speed limit over 70.

I was looking at AWD 5MT Daihatsu Mira RV4s and a few AWD Daihatsu Mira Ginas and some Suzuki Jimnys. By the time they got here it'd be close to $10k + 15 years old and the ensuing maintenance costs... So new and reliable Micra it is! The S.O. said I could get a Jimny to thrash after getting a reliable daily first.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    Whitehorse! With the other 90% of the population haha.
    Of course.

I read that it is hydraulic (i.e. not easily adjustable)?
    Correct. And I haven't heard of anyone adjusting their clutch. So must not be easy!

The short gearing is what I noticed and loved most about driving it.
    Ha! Different strokes. I don't really mind short gears in 1-4 but I want lower RPM and better cruising economy in top gear. If I want power to pass or climb, I know how to downshift, thankyouverymuch.

The Micra is basically a Canadian Kei car anyway.

Good luck with the delivery. Let us know how the first day goes!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Cool

my opinion having had my 2015 for a year now is the manual is no short throw race car. The clutch is fairly "rubbery"
    but i havent ground a gear yet (but come close on a 1-2 on a cold morning). Its OK though...we didnt pay much. There seems to be alot of shifting and its geared pretty low (its no highway car) but i have smaller diameter tires on, so its worse for me. That said, its a great car...i hope you enjoy it!

PS i think the clutch slave cylinder is INSIDE the bellhouseing, i think its a "linear" cylinder ,ON the input shaft.

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!