Thread: Where is the Canadian Micra assembled?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Where is the Canadian Micra assembled?

Just curious to know where the Canadian version of the Micra is ACTUALLY made/assembled. I owned a 1993 Nissan Altima, first car, absolutely loved it.............and it was made in USA.

In the past, many avid nissan owners/buyers, wanted to buy Japanese cars that are MADE in Japan, since their American or other counterpart factories quality did not always measure up.

Used to be that the 1st digit of the VIN indicated the country of manufacture (J meant Japan, 1 meant USA etc).

Interested to see how the build quality ACTUALLY is on a car at this price point!

Thanks
    Answer: Mexico

See... Micra from Mexico -- How Canada’s cheapest car is built (driving.ca)

There's a video "tour" of the assembly facility in that thread too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pr@j View Post
    Just curious to know where the Canadian version of the Micra is ACTUALLY made/assembled. I owned a 1993 Nissan Altima, first car, absolutely loved it.............and it was made in USA.

In the past, many avid nissan owners/buyers, wanted to buy Japanese cars that are MADE in Japan, since their American or other counterpart factories quality did not always measure up.

Used to be that the 1st digit of the VIN indicated the country of manufacture (J meant Japan, 1 meant USA etc).

Interested to see how the build quality ACTUALLY is on a car at this price point!
    Though the Micra is produced in mexico, Standards are no less than other nissans assembled in the same plant or, honestly, in north america. A lot of our cars, not just Nissan, are produced in mexico. Aguascaliente Mexico houses one of Nissans largest manufacturing investment and represents one of the highest build standards and eco-friendly operations around.

They also assemble the engines and stamp/paint the panels in house, instead of using contractors. I've sold and driven many of our mexican built products and they are of great quality. Honestly. I know it sounds like I Was paid to say all this but I'm not. Actually, of the last 2 "issues" I can remember, they were coming out of Smyrna, not Aguascaliente.

Vin designations still exist. j=japan, 1/5= north america, 3= mexico, etc.. So these will start with 3's.

Thanks

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Antruby (05-10-2014)

Thanks
    Agreed that the quality is up there. I own an american car at the moment and I can say that sometimes I question the quality - but that's a whole other can of worms!!!!

My last car was a nissan - 1993 and I LOVED the quality of the material and styling - but have seen cars recently (2012 models) that PALE in comparison to build and material quality! The seats in that car were so supportive and great lateral support.