Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! - Micra 2017 extended warranty

Thanks

Question Help! - Micra 2017 extended warranty

So after doing the math with the Nissan closer guy, we determined that my bumper to bumper was going to last 2years, and my 100k warranty after 3 1/2 years (give or take)
    I find that the extended warranty to get me to 160k (or full 5 years in my case) is a tad expensive, seeing that the parts that are typically covered in the extended warranty would normally (from my experience) break after 160k anyways. Has anyone taken it and it has been worth that extra 2g? or should i just say f-it and take a chance without it? Your comments and concerns would be much appreciated asap since i'm signing the contract very soon :P

thanks Micra community!

Last edited by polarbe4r; 04-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Micra SV manual: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For what its worth...
    Insist on receiving and viewing the ACTUAL policy regarding optional coverage. My finance guy tried his absolute best to convince me that no matter what, under any circumstance, if a part/labour was needed it would be replaced. I just had to sign here, and initial there. I probably spent half an hour discussing possible scenarios, wear items etc and he continued to insist everything would be covered. He reluctantly printed out the policy, at my demand before signing and 30 seconds into reading it I saw the clause he conveniently forgot to mention; "Do-it-yourself" maintenance would void any coverage, and maintenance records from factory certified facility would be required. Needless to say I was less than impressed, particularly since I had already mentioned several times I'm a journeyman in automotive and would be doing all my own maintenance (as much as allowed by Nissan).
    Long story short, what the paperwork says is much more important than any validation offered by the person selling it. They make more profit selling extended coverage than selling the actual vehicle, so they have lots of incentive to get that signature. Just be sure it actually fits your expectations and needs. The cynical person in me says if they were so so great to the end-user, they wouldn't be profitable enough to push sales so hard.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-06-2017),LilGeckos (04-07-2017),MetroMPG (04-09-2017),polarbe4r (04-06-2017),Wark (04-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks 81MC, I called the guy, after listening to your comments, speaking with two mechanics I've decided to forego the extended warranty. The price is a bit salty for the added coverage of parts that normally don't break. Lets not forget that I just bought a micra, and not a 370Z. Can't wait to drive my new baby

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Micra SV manual: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My own experience is that the cost of an extended warranty translates to a lot of work that could be done on your car, but with added headache. What's the worst that could happen? The engine blows up? That will mean a fight with the dealership and with Nissan to prove it was a defect and not something you did wrong, when you could probably just get a used 1.6L engine and have it put in your Micra for around $1000 all in with no hassles or fights if you shop around. Seriously, these are simple cars that don't require a lot of labour to fix even big problems. As such, I think you made the right choice in your decision.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I sternly declined the extended warranty as well, much to the displeasure of the financier who tried VERY hard to get me to sign on. She was genuinely perplexed as to why I didn't want it. Haha.
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    Yeah I was asked as well why I didn't want it. Man I can't wait to sign the contract tomorrow, I want my car!

Thanks
    Ya, they were pushing me to get it too.... im like. I am paying $11300 including tax. Why the hell would i wanna pay over 1/5 of the price of the car to extend the warranty.

To give you an idea, ive rebuilt the engine of my 89civic 15 years ago for 1000$. And also bought a new engine for my 1999 subaru forrester for 1400$. For the most part, parts for this car should be affordable. And If nissan sold me a car that requires major repairs before 160k this will be my first and last nissan.

Thanks
    That was my argument, Chef; I told him, if I thought the car needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't buy the car. Every defect should show up during the life of the standard warranty, so I figure anything beyond that is going to be either wear and tear or user error, neither of which would be covered by any extended warranty.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks to all your comments, I'm even more confident with my decision

Thanks
    I think you made the right call too.

Mind sharing what they would have charged for the added coverage?

I read an article recently that stated more and more buyers (particularly younger ones) are skeptical of the words "extended warranty" and declining it during the sales process. The result: it's being renamed as a "service contract" by many dealers. Same thing, fancy new name. Re-branding!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...