Thread: Hello! Considering Micra as a 2nd car, daily runner

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello! Considering Micra as a 2nd car, daily runner

Hi All,

Just joined the forum as the new Micra seems quite nice and admittedly probably one of nissan's nicer designs as of late.

The price point on this car reminds me of the Honda Civic DX price point in the late 80's early 90's. Honda's are very popular and reliable vehicles - let's hope Nissan has done their groundwork on the revised Micra!

The family and I are looking at options for a 2nd car possibly next year, and while we were looking at 2nd hand cars in the 10-12K range, and in the same class as the micra, we stumbled upon the Canadian version!

The price point is nice, and since it will just be used for quick errands and such, we think we can get by with the base model - besides, it's fun to drive a standard car, with the windows down, some nice tunes, all you need is a challenging road and tires with good grip and makes for an exciting drive!

We own a SUV, to haul the kids and all their junk - serves its purpose well - but a 2nd car may be in order as life gets busier and 1 car just won't cut it.

Looking forward to getting this car, we'll see how it actually holds up before we decide. Looking forward to customizing it - at this low a price point, there's a lot that can be done to really make this car unique, in a tasteful manner.

Nissan does suck because they are trying to lure us in and then bait and switch us to offer A/C and Automatic..but all manufacturers have been doing that for ages.

It's about time, IMO, that we get back to basics, and ENJOY life....so we don't have A/C......crack the windows open people........and driving stick is so much more fun!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Welcome, pr@j.

What part of the country are you in? (Your willingness to skip A/C has me curious.)

Nissan does suck because they are trying to lure us in and then bait and switch us to offer A/C and Automatic..but all manufacturers have been doing that for ages.
    You know, that "bait & switch" theme has come up now several times. While it's absolutely true that other car makers do it too, with Nissan's laser focus on "$9,998" in their advertising, you have to wonder if they're opening themselves up to more criticism/backlash than usual on that front.

By waiting a while, you'll have lots of opportunity to read/watch reviews of the car in the mass media and the experiences of Micra owners themselves.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    What part of the country are you in? (Your willingness to skip A/C has me curious.)
    Hey now!!! I've used the A/C in the Coupe maybe 15 times in 5 years :P I am a sucker for extreme heat though and unless I'm in traffic for a ridiculous amount of time I wont use it!

Thanks
    Yeah - being regularly stuck in stop & crawl traffic is about the only reason I'd want it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    With the price of gas predicted to go up, the Micra may turn into our primary car in our household...

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    What's your other car, Alpha?

Thanks
    A 2009 Pontiac Torrent AWD, bought new in '09. Last year for Pontiac, they had some great deals.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, pr@j.

You know, that "bait & switch" theme has come up now several times. While it's absolutely true that other car makers do it too, with Nissan's laser focus on "$9,998" in their advertising, you have to wonder if they're opening themselves up to more criticism/backlash than usual on that front.

By waiting a while, you'll have lots of opportunity to read/watch reviews of the car in the mass media and the experiences of Micra owners themselves.

Darin

I'm from Richmond Hill, Ontario - originally from Montreal actually, true that A/C is absolutely a great thing in standing traffic, but if this car will only be used for short runs around town, I'm willing to drive with the windows down, and my radio turned up!

Looking forward to the reviews from the early adopters for sure!

Thanks
    Thanks to all for the warm welcomes!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pr@j View Post
    A/C is absolutely a great thing in standing traffic, but if this car will only be used for short runs around town, I'm willing to drive with the windows down, and my radio turned up!
    Agreed - as long as you can keep moving, windows down is adequate even in the heat. Even downright enjoyable with the right mindset. (Which you seem to possess!)

Early press reviews are imminent: Media test drives/reviews... first reports next week, and we're taking part too