Thread: Problems already? Weird noise on start-up

Thanks

Problems already? Weird noise on start-up

I've had my micra 2016 since September, so about 6 months. The past 2 mornings on start-up it did a weird noise and it went on for about 30 seconds. It's sort of a vibrating, muffler type of sound, but unsure where it's coming from.

After driving it about 30 seconds it goes away and isn't back for the rest of the day. I'm going to the dealer next week, leaving it there overnight so hopefully it'll do the sound when they start it in the morning.

I'm a lil annoyed something's wrong so soon. Anybody had similar issues?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZF...iIR4EWvcUXM5gg

I was able to record it, but from the inside of the car so the sound isn't great but it'll give you guys an idea.

For the record, since I've had it, I found it to be noisy, and at first thought something might have been wrong with the muffler but they checked when i got my winter tires put on wheels and they said all was fine. Could be coming from the engine area though, I really can't tell.

Any input would be welcome!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Just judging by your description, the car has a cycle upon startup that causes it to run at a slightly higher RPM for about 30 seconds, which could be what you're describing. as for strange noises, the micra makes a lot of them. It could be your air intake rattling, it could be your headliner buzzing, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyyCarter View Post
    Just judging by your description, the car has a cycle upon startup that causes it to run at a slightly higher RPM for about 30 seconds, which could be what you're describing. as for strange noises, the micra makes a lot of them. It could be your air intake rattling, it could be your headliner buzzing, etc.
    Found a lot of people saying they had similar issues and it was the heat shield rattling till it got warm enough.

I was able to take another video while out of the car today. It was fine on startup, but noise appeared when putting in Reverse and then got worse on Drive. Stopped after a minute I'd say.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M3...DvHRWIA3-W5MLA

Phone microphone make it sounds worse than it is, but still very unpleasant sound and def not normal for a car this new.

Thanks
    That is different. Did you hit something with your tail pipe? It looks bent out of shape, maybe something inside the muffler let go and that's what that rattle is.

Thanks
    Heat shield on the exhaust?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (02-26-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    That is different. Did you hit something with your tail pipe? It looks bent out of shape, maybe something inside the muffler let go and that's what that rattle is.
    Yeah I noticed that.. but I haven't hit anything really.. but again in the winter here, with all the snow sometimes you hit things and don't notice. The noise only last 30 seconds and then it's gone..

Thanks
    That's what I am suspecting, I'll report back after I've been to the dealership...

Thanks
    So... Apparently the problem was the alternator belt not being tight enough..

They tighten it this morning, as I picked it up, I asked them to come with me as I started it and it did it again. They kept it all afternoon to test again and said it still appeared to be the problem. They tightened it again. I'm picking it up later so we'll see.

I asked if it's a common problem, they said not at all, it was probably a problem when it got built.

I'm skeptical but again I always found the car to be somewhat loud in the engine area so maybe this will fix the problem.

Will report back if not fixed..!