Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regular vs Premium Gas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMicra23 View Post
    91 all day every car. 87 is piss poor gas and if you dont have en electric motor getting you going you're just gonna burn through more gas when you push the car. Dont flip flop though, use one or the other and let the engine learn the fuel trim. I strongly recommend warming up the engine I find I get way better gas millage when I let my car warm up for quite a while.
    87 is no more "piss poor" than 91. it has less octane. If you understand combustion, gasoline and thermodynamics. then, you would realize that for the micra 91 is piss poor. 87 octane makes more power, therefore you will get better gas milage, and also, be heavier in the wallet. Same with my Jeep patriot. 87 gets better milage than 91....why? because it makes more power. Look it up sometime before making blanket statements like piss poor gas if you have no idea what you are talking about.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojack For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (05-06-2017),Pete (05-07-2017),Wark (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Won't 91 give a few more horsepower on the Micra? I am saying this because Lexus and Acura use similar engines to Toyota and Honda, but they modified the engine or the ecu and it require premium gas for the extra bump in power. I been using regular for a month and premium for a month, and found no difference.

Thanks
    It depends if the car was designed for it. If the car calls for 91 and you use 87, the car will retard timing and you will drop a couple of hp. but its not an inverse reaction with a car going from 87 which is was designed for to 91. you will not gain any hp. Its not using 91 for extra horse power, its using 91 for resisting knock and detonation from higher compression ratios and advance timing. In the micra, 91 is pissing away your money....nothing more. I am a mechanic, and built race engines etc.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojack For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (05-08-2017),MetroMPG (05-08-2017),Wark (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    It depends if the car was designed for it. If the car calls for 91 and you use 87, the car will retard timing and you will drop a couple of hp. but its not an inverse reaction with a car going from 87 which is was designed for to 91. you will not gain any hp. Its not using 91 for extra horse power, its using 91 for resisting knock and detonation from higher compression ratios and advance timing. In the micra, 91 is pissing away your money....nothing more. I am a mechanic, and built race engines etc.
    Glad to see someone else understands this issue..."money for nothing"!

Thanks...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes. I do. and you are welcome.

Thanks
    That's interesting to know. We've got a Ridgeline that calls for 87 octane but 91 if towing in the manual. My other vehicles I've always upgraded the ECU and tuned for 91 octane (Honda/Acura). So until someone, somewhere starts tuning HR16DEs we're pretty much outta luck for seeing any benefits at all from running 91 octane? I've always heard that it's cleaner too but I don't know how much that matters overall.

Living up North I just take care to buy fuel at reputable gas stations versus always using premium. That's something people in rural Canada should definitely watch out for more. Dirty old garbage fuel from one-off gas stations. My partner works in the transportation industry and I get all the intel and horror stories about it lol.

I do however, explicitly use synthetic oil and only put Genuine OEM or Amsoil Synthetic MTF in my gearboxes. It barely costs any more in the long run considering all the other running costs of a vehicle. If you're going to splurge on one and cut cost on the other definitely synthetic oil > premium. Just my .02$.

Thanks
    Its no more clean than regular 87 gas. that is a myth. the ONLY difference is the octane. The ridgeline calls for 91 while towing because it will be creating a lot more heat while towing so the higher octane number will combat this. And yes. Unless it's a turbo etc, tuning pretty well can only advance timing and duration of timing. fiddle with a few sensors but it does not make that much difference it the big scheme of things. But once you start advancing timing, then the need for higher octane goes up.

I am an amsoil dealer and reseller, and swear by it. I have many results where asmoil makes a difference in my customers vehicles and toys. A lot of my snowmobile clients were using iPone oil which has an additive for smell. So, I blended smell additives into my amsoil snowmobile oils and they loved it. Plus I could do more than just strawberry then.

The gas stations here all get gas from the same refinery, and from the same truck...Just buy from the busiest station so you get the fresh stuff.

Thanks
    I am an amsoil dealer and reseller, and swear by it. I have many results where asmoil makes a difference in my customers vehicles and toys. A lot of my snowmobile clients were using iPone oil which has an additive for smell. So, I blended smell additives into my amsoil snowmobile oils and they loved it. Plus I could do more than just strawberry then.

The gas stations here all get gas from the same refinery, and from the same truck...Just buy from the busiest station so you get the fresh stuff.
    That's funny! I didn't know there were scented additives used in snowmobiles and I grew up in Labrador lol.

I heard a lot of testaments from Amsoil advocates in the Honda forums as well and have slowly been converted.
    I usually just use Mobil1 synthetic oil (I know, not a TRUE synthetic) but you can actually buy it in 4L jugs at CTire here.
    I don't skimp at all on transmission fluid and NAPA has it on hand luckily.

A handful of gas stations here get old dirty oil coming down from Alaska that they don't want.

Thanks
    sounds like our grocery stores...gets all the **** that the mainland don't want..ha ha. Yeah. ipone oil is the only 2 stroke oil with scent, but me being crafty found a product, used in race fuel to mask the smell so you can run it "covertly". So, I said, self, that burns in gas, I called the company and yep...it burns in oil the same way, so I now have blueberry and root beer smelling 2 smokers flying around here! ha ha.

I switched my F150 to completely amsoil products and gained almost 100km extra per fill up. Plus I never changed my oil for 45,000 kms and it was still good. using oil analysis!

Thanks
    Salut groupe je suis du Québec je roule sur une route presque droitde 20klm pour allé travaillé et 20klm pour revenir avec du 87 octane je fais du 5.5l 100klm avec du 94 octane du petro-canada je suis tombé à 4.3l 100klm je roule sûr le régulateur de vitesse à 90klm et si je roule à 75klm je tombe à 3.6l 100klm