Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regular vs Premium Gas

Thanks
    For your information premium vs regular will always be a debate its like syntec vs mineral oil.

If you dont know the oil filter is the same as a qr25,qg18,vq35,vq37...

Thanks
    91 all day every car. 87 is piss poor gas and if you dont have en electric motor getting you going you're just gonna burn through more gas when you push the car. Dont flip flop though, use one or the other and let the engine learn the fuel trim. I strongly recommend warming up the engine I find I get way better gas millage when I let my car warm up for quite a while.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtyMicra23 For This Useful Post:

astroz0mbies (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    I've filled up my Micra with premium and found no significant improvement.
    The engine still knocks with either fuel type.
    With 91, the Micra started up on higher revs sooner than the 87.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoedhard For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (02-24-2017)

Thanks
    I'm rolling with what the user manual calls for. I bought this car from its original owner, he used to run our Magna fuel (87 octanes). I think our (as in Mexico) user manual calls for 91 octanes, Wich would be our Premium fuel. Yup, we only have those 2 options. The on board computer had a 11.3 or so km/l average, ever since I started using premium fuel it climbed to 13.8 or so. Besides, our Premium fuel is sulphur free, unlike Magna. Engine's cleaner, O2 sensors should live longer. All this, of course, might only apply on my country. Recently we had a Premium fuel shortage, and I definitely felt a lack of performance, nothing huge or dramatic, but it was there.

Thanks
    The only real difference is no ethanol in 91+. Ethanol is terrible for metal parts, rubber, emissions systems, etc. yet the Micra is made for 87. Put whatever you want in it except Diesel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhite For This Useful Post:

astroz0mbies (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    Just an update in this thread. I decided to update you guys on what I've personally found with using premium instead of regular gas. For reference, my vehicle is a work vehicle. I'm a nurse who drives to peoples homes and provides care. With that in mind, I do A LOT of driving. While using regular gas, I was filling up twice a week. Since switching to premium, I haven't had to fill as often and my tank lasts me a week or more. (Depends on how busy my schedule is.) That also includes leisure driving.
    My fear is dead. Ambition drove the hearse.

Thanks
    When did you switch?

One thing to consider is warming outside temperature has a significant impact on fuel economy. Everybody's fuel economy is improving at this time of year, even when no other changes are made.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    When did you switch?

One thing to consider is warming outside temperature has a significant impact on fuel economy. Everybody's fuel economy is improving at this time of year, even when no other changes are made.
    I started in January. I remember hearing that winter tires/snow can affect fuel economy (for obvious reasons) so I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes during the summer.

Thanks
    Not just tires, but different fuel formulation (winter vs. summer blend), increased bearing & drivetrain drag, air density, longer engine warm-up, and a bunch of other reasons. FYI: Why your Micra's fuel economy is worse in the winter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

astroz0mbies (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Oh yeah, it was terrible for me this winter. I think the highest I went was 8.4? Now it's down to around 7.3.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to astroz0mbies For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-02-2017)