Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra rear drum brakes

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Micra rear drum brakes

Just hit 24,000 on my car and was serviceing my brakes ( clean and lubricant) and found that I could not get rear drums off. Spoke to dealership and tons of research to find that the wheel bearing is in the drum and is a one time use part unless you remove the drum from the back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by efoulds View Post
    Just hit 24,000 on my car and was serviceing my brakes ( clean and lubricant) and found that I could not get rear drums off. Spoke to dealership and tons of research to find that the wheel bearing is in the drum and is a one time use part unless you remove the drum from the back.
    "one time use" wtf???? My mechanic took it off (that is when i still had the car ) Yes the drum has the bearing as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L1ghtninchris View Post
    "one time use" wtf???? My mechanic took it off (that is when i still had the car ) Yes the drum has the bearing as well.

Yes the dealership replaces the bearing if they have to take the drum off the normal way or I have to pay extra labor to go from the back. Really wanted to just do it myself but Nissan just fixing things that ain't broke.

Thanks
    FYI the Nissan Versa is the same too.

Thanks
    you removed the wheel hub lock nut , right...and the handbrake is off ?

I must admit, ive never worked on a car that had this.

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 5656
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  22.0 KB
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 01-29-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    you removed the wheel hub lock nut , right...and the handbrake is off ?

I must admit, ive never worked on a car that had this.

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 5656
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  22.0 KB
    Wondering where you got this. I paid the dealership to do it and they ran out of time and told me it was a big pain to do it from the back ( undo the 4 boldts) so they just did it the normal way and replace the bearings for free. Now I am fighting with Nissan for informal trying to figure out how to do my rear brakes without screwing anything up or having to pay for new bearingss.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by efoulds View Post
    Wondering where you got this. I paid the dealership to do it and they ran out of time and told me it was a big pain to do it from the back ( undo the 4 boldts) so they just did it the normal way and replace the bearings for free. Now I am fighting with Nissan for informal trying to figure out how to do my rear brakes without screwing anything up or having to pay for new bearingss.
    http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Versa/2014%20Versa%20Sedan/

BR.pdf

i noticed some manuals don't seem to have all sections

at 24K , wouldn't the bearing be under warranty anyway ?

but for the future......a pain to be sure, possibly its 6 or 1/2 dozen though....

I'm not sure this is a great idea......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXx0oXyEq2k
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 01-30-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    My car has started creaking when I come to a full stop, so we've pulled off the drum multiple times from the front and put it back on, could we have damaged the bearing and need a new one?

Thanks
    no way unless you used excessive force ie a hammer...they are meant to be taken on and off...define your creak.....a couple of high speed stops may cure your creaking
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    High speed made it worse.

We took off the drum and the silver adjuster is not working and the rear break wasn't working on the right side. Pristine and brake dust free. Moved the brake shoes and adjusted the adjuster and it stopped.