Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Post your Micra's fuel economy / mileage results in our fuel economy tracker/ log

Thanks
    Just try to do 60km/h in Oshawa without getting run over. I dare ya. 70 is keeping up with traffic in the motor city. But I could lug it in 5th at 50 too. Engine doesn't mind at all, and it's just barely enough power to keep momentum on a level road.

But I tend to lead foot it in the hammer lane on the highway a lot more than I should, and while I tend to avoid spinning the tires, I launch 'er pretty quick with the tires chirping at threshold when I can, and I tend to average around 6.4L/100km, so I'd say it is really more economical and more fun than an automatic driven more...boringly. It really has nothing to do with the engine, it has everything to do with the transmission and the driver.

Given that fast launches are only possible in light traffic or when accelerating on a highway on-ramp, this type of driving represents a small portion of the actual driving done on a tank of gas. In heavy traffic, it makes more sense to short shift, coast, and lug, and if that's all I ever did, I'd probably beat 5.6L/100km with mostly city driving. With the old school 4 speed automatic, you really have no choice but to accept the pre-programmed shift points, power loss through the transmission fluid (which gets worse when it's cold - not an issue with stick shift), and the subsequent lousy fuel economy.

EDIT: Don't forget that the power required to simply shift gears in an automatic has to come from the engine, but in the stick shift it's done with human power.

2nd edit: Here's a second opinion for you from Scotty:

Last edited by AlphaMicra; 11-09-2014 at 01:37 AM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    explanation: massive amount of school zones restrict me to 40 km/h and there are always cops so you have to go 40km/h, the posted speed limit in my town is 50 km/h, when going down hills I always throw the car into the highest gear possible and give it the least amount of gas possible ( or just leave it in neutral, however i find it picks up speed too quickly and i'm riding the brakes ) i am usually the only person in the car, however if I do have my girlfriend with me in the vehicle, combined we only weigh 240 pounds. And aside from when I do have someone up my ass when I am driving, I try to drive like an old man and use as little gas as possible... I mean that is why one buys a small fuel efficient vehicle.... right? There could also be a crapload of other factors, I am not in the gta, it is generally 3 or 4 degrees cooler ( sometimes more ), little to no traffic makes it easier to keep the car moving... etc, etc...

edit :
    Originally Posted by AlphaMicra
    Given that fast launches are only possible in light traffic or when accelerating on a highway on-ramp, this type of driving represents a small portion of the actual driving done on a tank of gas. In heavy traffic, it makes more sense to short shift, coast, and lug
    pretty much bang on description of how much sporty driving can actually be done ( sanely and legally ) on public roads.
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 11-09-2014 at 11:48 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    So how can you do 5.6l/100km driving like mad in mostly city when I do 8.1 driving very very eco-friendly and about 60% city??

that does not make much sense unless we have a very different engine.
    The difference is in the driving environment, and the driver. Unless you're driving exactly the same route in the same driving style, it's not really possible to compare fuel consumption against another driver over the Internet.

Your "city" driving may be stop light to stop light and lots of stop & go traffic. What someone else calls "city" driving may be light traffic (eg. not driving at peak rush hours) or long stretches at 60-65 km/h which is actually great for mileage.

Trip length also has a huge impact, especially as the outside temperature drops: short trips are terrible for fuel economy; long trips are better.

So just saying I get X L/100 km "in the city" isn't really enough information to make a good comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Congrats & welcome!

Going to post a garage entry? Add car

Also, what's the link to your Fuelly page?
    Sorry I haven't taken a picture yet. Lol. It's blue though.

My fuelly page http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/mic...TIBlaze/323262

Just as I expected driving on the highway with the lawnmower engine has made my consumption worse. Although I have also been applying more pedal after the break in period. 6.2L 100km avg. I find this car has a sweet spot between 65 - 95 you can hit 5L if you try hard.

Like some others have mentioned you gotta drive atleast 110 km on 400 series highways or someone will turn you into a soup can.

Also, if anyone knows how to disable that bloody AC from coming on when you turn on the heat on the defroster let me know. That really bugs me. If I want the AC on I'll turn it on myself. Wastes gas as others have mentioned and harder on engine when starting the car. If no one knows I'm going to investigate it and try to figure out how to stop it. Probably a relay or have to just disconnect a wire somewhere.

Thanks
    I just press the AC button after I turn on the defroster, it turns off.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    I just press the AC button after I turn on the defroster, it turns off.
    Hey alpha,

I do the same, but sometimes I forget and I drive around with it on. I'm new to Nissan so not sure if they all do it. I know for sure that my Subaru's don't do something pointless like that.

Oh well!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Me View Post
    Hey alpha,

I do the same, but sometimes I forget and I drive around with it on. I'm new to Nissan so not sure if they all do it. I know for sure that my Subaru's don't do something pointless like that.

Oh well!
    The GM's I've had do this, but don't give me the ability to turn the AC compressor off while using the defroster setting.

Also, this isn't entirely pointless. Running the AC in conjunction with the heater serves to draw moisture out of the air, accelerating the car's ability to clear the windows significantly. When it's hovering around the freezing mark and we're dealing with sleet, this helps to make the car much more comfortable as well. Also, a common problem with air conditioners in cars is that the seals and bearings can dry out from months of non-use, so when you fire it up the following summer, the refrigerant leaks out. This feature ensures that the refrigerant, which also acts as a lubricant, gets cycled through the system once in a while.

Personally, I think the way Nissan does it is perfect; turns on automatically, I let the windows clear, and then I leave it on defrost but turn the compressor off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    The GM's I've had do this, but don't give me the ability to turn the AC compressor off while using the defroster setting.

Also, this isn't entirely pointless. Running the AC in conjunction with the heater serves to draw moisture out of the air, accelerating the car's ability to clear the windows significantly. When it's hovering around the freezing mark and we're dealing with sleet, this helps to make the car much more comfortable as well. Also, a common problem with air conditioners in cars is that the seals and bearings can dry out from months of non-use, so when you fire it up the following summer, the refrigerant leaks out. This feature ensures that the refrigerant, which also acts as a lubricant, gets cycled through the system once in a while.

Personally, I think the way Nissan does it is perfect; turns on automatically, I let the windows clear, and then I leave it on defrost but turn the compressor off.
    I understand what it does! Sorry pointless was a bad word. Sorry I like to control the AC myself. If I want to turn it on I'll turn it on when I think I need it. Mainly during humid weather.

One could argue that it also hurts the compressor by cycling it on an off when not needed; increased gas consumption; strain on the engine when starting. Ive had 4 Subaru's none of which do this and none of them have had a problem with the AC after owning some of them for 10 years. I know many manufactures are doing this for years, I'm just not use to owning one that does. I find that condensation on the inside can be largely avoided by having good winter mats and emptying the water.

Anyway glad you like it and lucky for you it comes like that. I don't! To each their own.
    Last edited by Mini_Me; 11-13-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

New forum feature: fuel economy tracker

Better late than never...

Attachment 856

Micra-Forum's fuel economy tracker is now online. You can record your results here: Micra Fuel Economy Log

There's also a navigation link to the fuel log in the header on each page.

Why fill out some fuel economy data?

1) Because it's fun! No? (Yes, I'm a data nerd.)

2) Because it's a great way to challenge yourself to improve. Someone smart once said: "You can't manage what you don't measure."

3) Because it's one of the top searches that brings people to this site. Let's show them what real-world Micra drivers are getting.

And let's get some automatic Micras in the log! Represent!

===

Winter effect on mileage...

For those of you who paid attention to your fuel economy during the summer when you first got your Micra, you might want to record some tanks in the next couple of weeks to see the effect of early winter weather. You might be surprised.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    After a few months of driving the Micra around van city I really like the car but its fuel milage is terrible I find! Gotta pay a price for the beautiful hills!!! and endless lights and stop signs!