Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Post your Micra's fuel economy / mileage results in our fuel economy tracker/ log

Thanks

Winter fuel consumption

Just about everyone's fuel economy is going to start dropping with the arrival of colder weather:

1) Higher rolling resistance (cold tires, bearings)
    2) Are you keeping an eye on tire pressure? Tire pressure drops as outside temperature falls.
    3) Engine oil, transmission oil/fluid gets thicker (unless they're 100% synthetic)
    4) More accessory power draw (full lights, heater, defrost... which runs the A/C compressor as Dave points out, and running the A/C burns more fuel)
    5) Idling??? Hopefully you're not idling your car to warm it up!! Use your Micra's block heater instead.
    6) Engine takes longer to get up to normal operating temperature; spends proportionately more time running rich (and the automatic transmission holds lower gears longer until the engine warms up)
    7) More aerodynamic drag (air density increases as temperature falls)
    8) Are you running bare steel wheels with your snow tires? They will cause more aero drag than a wheel with a smooth wheel cover on it.
    9) Winter gasoline formulation has slightly less energy density than summer gas.
    10) Driving in snow: of course driving on actual snowy/slushy roads uses significantly more energy (even wet roads burn more fuel than dry roads).

It's not unusual to see a 10-20% drop in fuel economy in the middle of winter vs. summer.

You'll see a bigger drop in the winter if you mostly drive short city trips compared to someone who drives longer trips on the highway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Don't forget winter gas. It's formulated to prevent the gas line from freezing, which I believe reduces its density, so the engine burns more.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So I have been tracking how much gas I have been putting in and using, should have save myself the hassle and just used fuelly from the start but whatever. So as of right now I have 1700 kms on the vehicle, and have only put 95.41 liters in. Which roughly translates into 17.81km/l or 5.6l/100km. I think I could squeeze even more out of a tank if I didn't want to race everyone who looks at my car like its a dinky toy... I was coming out of a parking lot the other day and a guy in a vw passat ( with the w8 ) tried to pass me, and lets just say he eventually accomplished it after revving his engine like a mad man, and basically burning rubber to keep up.

quick edit: I would say that about 80-90%of those kms are city, I have had one trip on the highway that was about 150 km round trip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I like pulling away from the big pickup trucks that try to intimidate me. I see the telltale cloud of black smoke behind them as they try to keep up, but with the aerodynamics of a brick, they don't stand a chance against the Micra's slippery profile, light weight, and gearing that always keeps me in my power band. Must be a big blow to their egos.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Also when our foots happen to meet the floor we are still only burning a small fraction of what a bank of cylinders on a v8 burns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Don't forget winter gas. It's formulated to prevent the gas line from freezing, which I believe reduces its density, so the engine burns more.
    Yup! I was adding that plus one other point as you posted...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't use the defog for now so when I use the heating the AC does not come on. It's only heating.

And it's not winter yet. Temperatures are way warmer than it will get in the winter. It's -1 at night and 5 day time, not that cold yet.

I will definitely switch to synthetic oil before the winter. I always used that and I could see a good fuel saving when I switched.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    if your running the defroster or heat shut off the a/c (comes on automatically)
    engine does not work as hard so you will save fuel
    that's what I've being doing and i haven't noticed any increase in fuel consumption
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-08-2014 at 08:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So how can you do 5.6l/100km driving like mad in mostly city when I do 8.1 driving very very eco-friendly and about 60% city??

that does not make much sense unless we have a very different engine.

YOu say you put 95 liter but does that include the tank when you got the car? or are you calculating the liters that you put yourself with the total km on the odo? That means you are doing 730km with one full tank. NO way on earth or moon or mars I can do that. Well, maybe on the moon I could.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRocket View Post
    So I have been tracking how much gas I have been putting in and using, should have save myself the hassle and just used fuelly from the start but whatever. So as of right now I have 1700 kms on the vehicle, and have only put 95.41 liters in. Which roughly translates into 17.81km/l or 5.6l/100km. I think I could squeeze even more out of a tank if I didn't want to race everyone who looks at my car like its a dinky toy... I was coming out of a parking lot the other day and a guy in a vw passat ( with the w8 ) tried to pass me, and lets just say he eventually accomplished it after revving his engine like a mad man, and basically burning rubber to keep up.

quick edit: I would say that about 80-90%of those kms are city, I have had one trip on the highway that was about 150 km round trip.
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-08-2014 at 08:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    So how can you do 5.6l/100km driving like mad in mostly city when I do 8.1 driving very very eco-friendly and about 60% city??
    Stick shift is way more fuel efficient. I can't speak for PocketRocket, but I can accelerate hard from a light, and when I'm cruising at 60km/h, I can lug the engine in 5th gear which makes a huge difference, allowing me to easily achieve sub-6L per 100km even in the city. Also, a manual transmission is always locked up; there's no power loss like there is in an automatic that's slipping through hydraulic fluid when it's not locked up.

Thanks
    Pretty hard to do 60km/h in the city here, or you'll get a ticket. Maybe in Ontario it is easier to do.

I know the manuel transmission is more effective, but can you actually do 730 km with a full tank driving heavy and doing mostly city? I really doubt that

On fuelly, none of the micra registered there for 2015 are doing this good.

If you drive a manual car like mad and race everyone that look at your car, then it's not really more economical than an automatic driven the eco way.