Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra Lowering (springs / coilovers)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Micra Lowering (springs / coilovers)

Hey guys, I just put my name on a base model ''Ten Grand Tin Can''
    I may end up being the guinea pig... but if someone beats me to it...would be interested in hearing what you used for lowering.

Not looking for an expensive handling option, just springs to get the body sitting a little lower (where it should be) and well within range of being able to preserve stock camber settings.

Thanks!
    John.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey John -

"Ten Grand Tin Can" - So you're going to be part of "the 4%" are you? (Apparently that's the proportion of base models the company is bringing to Canada.)

I don't know if you saw, but Kaoss is also looking to lower his Micra. We've got a question in to Nissan Canada about what was used to lower the red Micra show car that was at the Toronto auto show. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

You or Kaoss or nintu will probably be the lowering guinea pigs by the sounds of it.

Out of curiosity, what are you driving now? Is it lowered?

Welcome to the forum!

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    hey Darin, that would be great if we can get an answer on which springs to use. I just want it to look a little better so won't bother with expensive shocks, bars, braces etc. I have a feeling the other guys are wanting to dig in a little harder. Current vehicle is an S-10 the only lowering is the factory suspension package I ordered it with...400K ago LOL!

4% base models? Interesting. If they can't get me a base model, I'm out.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    400k kms on an S10 = impressive. Congrats.

The following will be blatant, hair-pulling sacrilege to a hard-core suspension tuner, and it may not even be possible on the Micra, but...

It was fairly common in the Suzuki Swift/Chev-Geo Metro/Firefly scene to drop the cars a couple of centimeters by using a cutoff wheel to remove a coil from the stock springs. These weren't fancy springs - non-variable rate, and uniform diameter (so the cut coil would seat neatly into place where the previous one was). Lots of owners did it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So I ordered myself a set of h&R's springs the specs are 1 1/4 drop should the factory strut be fine and how should it handle.

Thanks
    Re: cutting springs...you're giving me bad flashbacks Darin
    And I mean, to well before the manhole cover scraping, camber loving, spoiler crazed Honda kids!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Ha - sorry. Good thing I didn't mention torching the springs too!

I haven't done either method myself... actually have never lowered any of my cars, though it's in the cards eventually for my Firefly.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    There are lowering springs out there, but I'm preeeettty sure they're for the models that are available overseas.

Thanks
    ^
    I dont' know squat about mechanics, but would the front sway bar or integrated rear sway bar interfere have caused a change in the suspension coils of the Micra? I thought the sway bars were the only difference in the suspension system between the Canadian Micra and the Micra in the rest of world.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    I dont' know squat about mechanics, but would the front sway bar or integrated rear sway bar interfere have caused a change in the suspension coils of the Micra? I thought the sway bars were the only difference in the suspension system between the Canadian Micra and the Micra in the rest of world.
    Integrated rear bars are one of the changes to the Micra in canadian market. Should not effect changing springs.

If you're worried about spring rates, look at
    http://eibach.suspensiondirect.co.uk...IV_K13-1.6.jsp

Difference between Note and Micra is slight in terms of axle load so you can probably even run note springs for a stiffer ride. Eibach further seperates engine sizes and it changes the axle load as well, so they have even tuned these springs with different engine weights. These _should_ fit directly.